Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 11:54:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessRe-uploading games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Re-uploading games  (Read 903 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:08:51 AM »

This should've probably been in my devlog, but I thought it'd make an interesting topic on its own.

This morning I came across a gaming site that had posted the latest build of Pioneers. First off, I really like that. I translated trough the comments and got some mixed opinions, which is great because they seem really honest. I tried replying there but it didn't seem to work. Well, doesn't matter.

Then I read some comment that said something about an installer and an exe file not working. The Google translator result was a bit weird so I didn't fully understand. The thing is, I didn't make the build into an installer. It was a simple zip file, so I tried downloading the game from the ad-ridden file hosting sites linked there. It turned out it was an installer creating a shortcut on the desktop and a web shortcut in the game folder linking to the gaming site in hand. No biggy and since I haven't explicitly stated that I don't want the game re-uploaded anywhere I have no complaints. Every bit of publicity counts. But I'm not sure about the first impression it creates if the download process goes trough such ad infested sites. Why couldn't they use the direct download links from my site?

So, my questions are:

Do/would you allow other people to modify your release (repackage it, add links, ads maybe) and upload it to their site?

To what extent should you limit such thing and where/how should you state your stand on that?

And the whole re-uploading the game part (given that the release stays intact) ... would you prefer all downloads to go trough your site(s) or does it not matter?

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:22:48 AM »

Look,

1. they are making money by using your game : ad = money (even if it's not much)
 2. if there is a problem with your game that was introduced by them, it's still your game, your image, so your public

I would be you, i would have made sure that the game says that it should be downloaded only from your website or other portal you submitted it to. And also, that if the user got it from anywhere else, it is beyond your power to help them if there is any problemm (like virus making the computer a potential zombie).

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:31:24 AM »

1. they are making money by using your game : ad = money (even if it's not much)

Yeah, you're right but I'm getting a little promotion and I have nothing to lose at this point. Also, I don't think they'll be making massive profits anyway.

I would be you, i would have made sure that the game says that it should be downloaded only from your website or other portal you submitted it to. And also, that if the user got it from anywhere else, it is beyond your power to help them if there is any problemm (like virus making the computer a potential zombie).

I'll be including a readme file with my thoughts on that and a web shortcut to my own website in the next releases. Should they remove those I'll get angry.

Also, yesterday I got a message from another user of the site saying that the reason they don't post direct links to downloads is that they get money by posting them on sharing sites. He said they are sort of stealing it. I wouldn't call it stealing but it is what I figured.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:10:06 AM »

I'll be including a readme file with my thoughts on that and a web shortcut to my own website in the next releases. Should they remove those I'll get angry.

Do you really think anybody will read it?

Put it at the beginning of your game or something.

Also, yesterday I got a message from another user of the site saying that the reason they don't post direct links to downloads is that they get money by posting them on sharing sites. He said they are sort of stealing it. I wouldn't call it stealing but it is what I figured.

It IS stealing. It's not like people getting it for themselve or their friends, these guys are making money on your ass.

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »

i had the same problem with that same site. i should have done something, but i had other things to do and i didn't really care that much then.
the most annoying was that i couldn't even download that because of awful lot of spam and waiting screens.
also, there was no mention of my site, so the publicity it generated won't benefit me in any way.

hardcoding a link to your website in loading screen or somewhere in the main menu should probably solve most problems.

anyway, in answer to your questions:

Do/would you allow other people to modify your release (repackage it, add links, ads maybe) and upload it to their site?
no, maybe only if they do an awesome total conversion mod and ask me first. but no installers and ads.

where/how should you state your stand on that?
i guess thats why there's EULAs. i don't think they really read it, however. if contacting them to get your link added to that page doesn't work, there's not much more to do. suing someone in another country is too hard and expensive to even consider that. you can maybe post a link to the real download in the comments and hope they don't remove it.

And the whole re-uploading the game part (given that the release stays intact) ... would you prefer all downloads to go trough your site(s) or does it not matter?
i still think that they should just link to my page and let the people download it from there. this way the people will always get the latest release. also forcing people to wait before they can start a download is atrocious.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »

i don't mind other sites letting people download the demo for my game, or my freeware games. more attention is more attention. but if they do something like edit the game to put their own ads in the game, or creating an installer out of what's just a zip file and the installer includes a toolbar or something, that's illegal i think

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic