Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 03:07:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat does the SHMUP market look like today?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What does the SHMUP market look like today?  (Read 1010 times)
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:16:49 AM »

So, I have some projects and one is a shmup and I was considering it as a commercial project.

The problem I have is that it is not clear to me how you can sell such kind of game. To be precise, it would be a game in the same niche than Ikaruga (whatever the differences in quality ).

My current understanding is that:

1. It is extremely hard to sell such games on PC.
 2. On console it can sell but not much.
 3. bullet hells are not very good on tactile platforms.

Am I correct? Can someone make a summary of the current market for shmup/bullet hell (commercial) games?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:28:26 AM by Klaim » Logged

Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »

You see some shmups on Steam every once in a while, but Steam is not easy to get on. Maybe you can just sell it like any other indie game, I mean, we are all in the niche market I guess. Try it and keep us informed.
Attila0413
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »

So, I have some projects and one is a shmup and I was considering it as a commercial project.

The problem I have is that it is not clear to me how you can sell such kind of game. To be precise, it would be a game in the same niche than Ikaruga (whatever the differences in quality ).

My current understanding is that:

1. It is extremely hard to sell such games on PC.
 2. On console it can sell but not much.
 3. bullet hells are not very good on tactile platforms.

Am I correct? Can someone make a summary of the current market for shmup/bullet hell (commercial) games?

I would say all 3 of you assumptions are not correct.

Recently a lot of SHMUP have been published on PC, including the awesome Jamestown which seems to have sold fine.

On the other hand, reaching your audience on console may be harder as it's a more closed market.

And, finally, iDevices are currently the main channel for SHMUP. Cave, among others, published Mushihimesama 1 and 2, DodonPachi Resurrection and EspGaluda on iDevices, giving the opportunity to play these games at no more than 10$, while you had to spend around 100$ per title before the advent of app stores and iDevices. Also, they are incredibly smooth and fun to play.

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »

Bullet hell games are currently relatively popular, courtesy of Touhou Project. You might want to check how Nyu Media handles things business-wise; almost all of their games are localized indie shmups from Japan.

Shmups are generally still very popular in Japan, especially in the indie scene (whereas it's still pretty niche in the West), but the Japanese indie game market is flooded with shmups.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »

Thanks for your input guys, you shifted a bit my perspective.

So basically, it is possible to make some money from it but you have to go beyond the japanese market, and obviously, if possible, have something remarkable.

PC market is fine and might be easier to find audience, from what you say.

By the way, do you think it's a big problem if the game is harder to play without a controller?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic