Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411531 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 10:08:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLF 2d (pixel?) artist for arpg/roguelite-like/smth
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: LF 2d (pixel?) artist for arpg/roguelite-like/smth  (Read 882 times)
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »

Hey folks!

As some of you might know it, I'm a programmer/pseudo-writer, and I've been working on a project tentatively named Ghostframe for a couple months now. It is intended as a dark sci-fi action rpg with a focus on gameplay systems, so folks, limited by time, like myself, don't have to spend eternity and then some crafting the damn content for the game.
There are three goals I've set for myself with the project: (1) deep & challenging combat, but I guess who doesn't want that. (2) varied and interesting character building options, there are multiple classes, but they're only starting points, stats, weapons and abilities are all up to player's own discretion. Min/maxing? Bring it on, crazy and highly situational builds are something I want to see possible in this game etc., etc. (3) atmosphere-driven world/exploration – I don't think there will be a particularly dramatic plot, but, given the chance, I would love for there to be an intricate back-story to everything player encounters.

speaking of back-story, the game is set in the far future, where most folks are immortal, but some aren't, and sometimes they have reasons for that, and they're also often locked in military conflicts, heh. It is kind of hard for me to summarize it right now without making it sound trivial, the setting is a sort of a crossover between cyberpunk and medieval/feudal warfare with moderately heavy religious undertones, but going into details here would make this post a wall-of-text far bigger than it already is :/ Perhaps I'll add some separate lore examples later.

How much is done?
- a fairly in-depth design doc, detailing most gameplay systems with mathematical precision
- a small, but rambling collection of descriptions and histories, all together making the corpus of Ghostframe's lore
- while there are still some gameplay systems exclusively on paper, there is a first pass or even a refined pass at quite a few of the systems already(movement, animation, item drop, damage type, stat & levelling, weapon, ability & status effect frameworks are all prototyped, there is also a working AI engine humming behind the scenes), making the current build of the project somewhat actually playable
- A couple of .webm's of the current WIP build in action:
(DISCLAIMER: PLACEHOLDER EVERYTHING!):
in this one, we see some generic cut 'em up action and then I can't decide which stats to level up: http://a.pomf.se/uvnkvc.webm
here's some generic shootin/dodgin: http://a.pomf.se/yjfwly.webm
this one shows the current early state of character building, you can choose your starting class, abilities and your weapons: http://a.pomf.se/xbcanp.webm
and here's me with a shotty getting owned, at first I “cheat” myself out of sure death by levelling up (which restores hp to full) while stunned, but then I proceed to get rekt anyway: http://a.pomf.se/yummdj.webm

What do I need?
Basically, I'm hoping to find a decent 2d artist, who could ideally wing his/her own style across the whole of the game, but, if priorities are needed, then n1 shoes that need to be filled is that of a character artist/animator. As a mere mortal, untrained in the ways of art, I am naturally very bad at magical stuff like animation.
The second priority would be animated effects (you can't make pretty 2d effects with just shaders, it seems ), and then third place goes to environment art. Only third place, because, given willpower and time, I can try and whip something up there myself, but ideally I would like the artist to fill these shoes for me, too, with me just helping out here and there, if at all.
The current version of the game uses pixel art, but I am open to trying out other 2d styles, if they fit the dark sci-fi vibe I hope the game could have. Also, the current “graphics” are absolutely not indicative of the atmosphere or desired designs or anything. In case that wasn't already painfully clear.

What's in it for you.
Glory. Honor. Respect.
Also, royalties, as the project is intended to be a commercial one.

However, if you absolutely can't live on promises of glory (it's a tough diet), but you think you can make this game look really awesome, then contact me anyway, there might be other options...

Contact me via PM here or drop me an email @ puse . cilveeka [$$--at--$$] gmail . com

phew, that's it, I guess. For now, at least!
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »

in retrospect, perhaps I shouldn't have made those .webms full 1080p and 60 fps at the same time Facepalm

if your browser struggles with 'em, you can always download 'em and watch 'em with VLC or what have you, they should be totally smooth, but I'm looking at them in my browser, and I am sad.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic