Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:20:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175610 times)
Uykered
« Reply #1320 on: June 15, 2013, 04:57:29 AM »

They could have just lied about their age...
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1321 on: June 15, 2013, 06:31:14 AM »

as far as i know, you can't rent "the parking lot". ouya was there without e3's permission
You can, and that's exactly what they did. The cops were called, but they left again because everything was in order from a legal standpoint.

do you have some citation for this? as far as i can tell this is a lie; there was no permission from the e3 involved

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/12/ouya-esa-e3-tussle/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

according to this, ouya attempted to ask the ESA if it were okay, but never received a response. not having a response, they decided to do it anyway, which is pretty stupid

they did rent a space to set up a stand, but not from the ESA, and without their knowledge or permission. no other developer has ever done that, or did that this year, besides team ouya. basically they didn't like the idea of paying the same amount that other developers were paying and went outside of the e3's rules and set up something outside of the e3, but it was still very near to the e3 and done without the e3's permission

it's basically like renting an empty lot across the street from a zoo and setting up your own zoo cage, without the permission of the zoo, and pretending you are a part of the zoo. it wasn't illegal (hence why the police didn't arrest them) but it was shady and a way to get away with not paying the fees that all the other e3 attendee companies had to pay
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:37:57 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1322 on: June 15, 2013, 06:56:08 AM »

This doesn't really give me a lot of confidence in them as a company. Either do E3 properly or don't do it at all. It seems like a misguided attempt to be kind of anti-establishment, which they've confused with indie. Instead it just looks plain unprofessional.

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 15, 2013, 07:01:10 AM »

This doesn't really give me a lot of confidence in them as a company. Either do E3 properly or don't do it at all. It seems like a misguided attempt to be kind of anti-establishment, which they've confused with indie. Instead it just looks plain unprofessional.
This basically sums up my thoughts. It's seems like something that must have looked good on paper and then went terribly, terribly wrong

Think happy thoughts.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 15, 2013, 07:04:40 AM »

not as wrong as m$ this year

JScythe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 15, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »

not as wrong as m$ this year

</rimshot>
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1326 on: June 15, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »

I don't follow?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1327 on: June 15, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »

The Ouya "lot" outside of E3 had more happy and excited people in it having fun than in the MS booth.
I don't even really like the Ouya as a device, but going there and seeing that has really changed my perspective on it.

Well done everyone.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1328 on: June 25, 2013, 04:16:18 AM »

I don't follow?

E3 is supposed to be a press event for journalists and developers only. It's pretty unlikely a set of 10 year olds fit in either category

Life sucks and then you die.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1329 on: June 25, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »

Yes, that's the exact point I was making. They weren't denied access because they were wearing Ouya shirts. Which is why I was confused by what alastair said.

Laserbrain Studios
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1330 on: June 25, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »

So the OUYA got released today, anyone here got a consumer version? I've heard TowerFall is great.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1331 on: June 25, 2013, 09:17:38 PM »

i would pay $50 for towerfall on pc

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1332 on: June 25, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »

i would pay $50 for towerfall on pc

You'll probably get the chance. (though I doubt it will be as high as $50) Towerfall is exclusive to the OUYA by convenience, not contract. It could easily come to any other platform that supports a controller. (and probably will) I wouldn't be surprised to see it ported to Steam or GOG before long, and perhaps even to PSN at some point. It's on OUYA for now because there aren't nearly as many restrictions or requirements for that platform. Making a name for itself on the OUYA (where the competition is currently slim) could give the game a leg up in promotion.

I received my kickstarter unit a week or so ago. I'm in the middle of writing a Sprite class for Unity, so I haven't gotten any testing done for it yet. The Sprite class is going well though, so I should be able to start playing around with it soon.
Uykered
« Reply #1333 on: June 26, 2013, 02:43:22 AM »

thought that was lols
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1334 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »

I picked up a retail Ouya yesterday. It's an attractive little console, and I love how simple the system menus are. It is so much easier and nicer to boot up for a quick game session than an Xbox 360. The controller is functional, but it isn't the best. The buttons are a little "clicky" and occasionally can still get stuck down, even in the retail version. I've heard PS3 controllers work like a dream on it, so I'm glad I didn't spring for a second controller at $50. The game selection is super thin at the moment. I've gotten the most mileage out of Super Crate Box so far (so much better with a controller), and the emulator selection is impressive, but there aren't a whole lot of meaty games yet. I'm sure TowerFall is awesome too, but I've only got one player at the moment. Smiley The console also seems pretty under-powered. Chrono Blade, arguably the best looking game at launch, runs terribly. Lag every few seconds, especially if the action gets busy. It is a shame, since the game seems like it could be fun. But as is, it is unplayable.

All that said, I think it has a real chance of catching on as an indie/homebrew console. I've always wanted an easy controller based console to develop on, dating back to my Klik and Play days. Honestly, even an open system as powerful as a SNES would be a blast to make games for. When you take a look at all the cool new homebrew games still coming out for Dreamcast, it becomes hard to argue against the Ouya based on its power level alone. I think there is plenty of room to make fun, original, awesome games for Ouya, and let people experience them on their TV. Hopefully it doesn't get totally overrun with phone ports, because I think the biggest advantage it has over phones is a guaranteed, standardized game controller.

It is gonna take it some time to build up a decent library of well made games, but I'm hopeful that being a $99 emulator box, and possibly soon a $99 Netflix box will keep it alive long enough to see some really cool games on it. What remains much more uncertain is if Ouya will become a valid option for professional game development. But high school/college me would have killed for a hobbyist console like this, and I can't wait to see what kind of crazy indie gems get released for it.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1335 on: June 26, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »

If I see one I'll buy it for sure, at $99 I don't care

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1336 on: June 26, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »

thought that was lols

I like this one:

Laserbrain Studios
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1337 on: June 26, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »

Just got my shipment notification. Woohoo! Going to be playing the bejeezus out of TowerFall tomorrow.

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1338 on: June 26, 2013, 10:54:56 PM »

FWIW - it's selling for above retail value on amazon...  http://www.amazon.com/OUYA-Console/dp/B0050SZD18/

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1339 on: June 27, 2013, 01:55:57 AM »

Is there seriously some guy trying to sell an Ouya for $699? Facepalm

Laserbrain Studios
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic