Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411690 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 18, 2024, 02:47:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175925 times)
poe
« Reply #1380 on: July 05, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »

thanks  Gentleman

any time
JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1381 on: July 06, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »

There's no reason why they can't all use google play tbh, it would make things much easier! Not to mention you could buy something once and play it on your phone, tablet and TV.

We're going to see a lot of fragmention to begin with because nobody really knows what works for an android console and what doesn't. If at all. But if one of them actually manages to sell well, you can bet we'll see clones of it from other companies.

And how long before we start to see OUYA-level functionality built directly into TVs? Im not up to speed on the TV market, but that's practically happening now isn't it? That's going to drive 100s more devices.

Eventually things will begin to unify a little. As mentioned hopefully they'll start using google play or 1 storefront. We don't need different APIs then. As for controllers, the OUYA can already use 360 and PS3 controllers, so it will probably just be the case that they will work with as many controllers as possible.

Everybody seems to think it'd be a good idea for it to use Google Play but I think that's an awful idea.  Users need to be able to browse a store full of games they can actually play -- having to sort through thousands of apps that don't even function with a controller would make for an awful experience.  Nothing I've heard from MadCatz convinces me they've found a way to solve that problem. 

And regardless, you can still sideload any Android app you want (including those from Google Play) onto your Ouya -- so the experienced user can tinker how they please while it creates a polished experience for the typical user. 

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 06, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »

Who owns the storefront? That's like saying wallmart will own everything. obv crazy. (to colej quote).

if multiple stores then apps/apis that release to multiple. the humble guys do something like that. engines do that: multiple distros for multi platforms.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1383 on: July 06, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »

I read somewhere that the Ouya controllers are using IR? If true, that's fucking terrible.

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 06, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »

I read somewhere that the Ouya controllers are using IR? If true, that's fucking terrible.
Somewhere?  No - they are bluetooth.
poe
« Reply #1385 on: July 06, 2013, 01:55:04 PM »

Somewhere?  No - they are bluetooth.

Definitely bluetooth, you can even get it to work on your PC! But they only documented how to do that for win8 Sad
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1386 on: July 06, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »

Ouya is the new wii?

An even cheaper and more casual console. Sounds about right.

EDIT: Neither of which I mean as a derogatory description, by the way.

I'd say it could be even better than the original Wii in a sense, since the original Wii got "non-gamers" playing because of mainly the novelty of motion controls with relatively simple games. Most of those people probably wouldn't have so much fun with Super Smash Brothers, while Wii Sports or different lighter titles were for them.

If the Ouya gets such people playing games that are simply fun without anything else 'tacked on', then I think it might be that it gets the job done better with a deeper experience.

Basically, if the Ouya gets people playing genuinely fun games as opposed to minigames with motion controls or voice controls or something, then it succeeds at drawing people in to gaming as a means to have fun more.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1387 on: July 06, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »

It was a tumblr question to Jeff Gerstmann, so that's why it was a load of bullshit. Carry on.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 06, 2013, 07:30:13 PM »

I would rather have motion control on ouya for the simple reason it's an open platform with no AAA fearing not making multi million by plaing safe and slapping waggle instead of genuine idea.

We got high paid lazy dev on motion control to show us the lead, no wonder nobody want motion anymore, they fucked it hard. It's like putting analog on a pad and only having fighting game use it to automatically launch super, instead of making mario 64 and halo. Analog wouldn't have got that far either, especially if some big franchise like super streetfighter have decide to replace pad for analog and keep the same gameplay, all gamer would have say that's less precise than a pad, and they would have reason. RE4 where doing it right, adjusting that to moving the character and bam FPS revolution, it was incredibly satisfying in re4.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1389 on: July 06, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »

We got high paid lazy dev on motion control to show us the lead, no wonder nobody want motion anymore, they fucked it hard.

Are you sure that's the reason? From my perspective, motion controls were never a viable input method for games, beyond some extremely basic stuff. They're high latency and low precision, which is a recipe for failure. Things like accelerometers, cameras (Kinect and its kin (lol a pun)), voice recognition, brain wave readers, etc. are all kind of interesting for toys and experimentation, but there's simply no way to make them work reliably or responsively. Gamepads and keyboards (and to a slightly lesser extent, mice) are low latency, high precision devices, which is why they still dominate everything else for game input. They're simply the best suited things for it, and until something else comes along with as good or better precision, they'll remain the best choice forever.

That said, the Ouya controller uses Bluetooth...if the API isn't walled off, presumably you could have it talk to a Wii remote easily enough.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 07, 2013, 07:29:19 AM »

I don't agree at all, I have talk at length about it and use the analog analogy is to show that not all input are good for everything but they are additive. Just pointing alone from the wiimote is better than analog aiming, but just slapping FPS convention made for other device on it is not the way to go. I'll just point to the gradual evolution of point and click in adventure game over text base input. We didn't have that evolution we had a massive give up. This is how you nurture hate on a device.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 07, 2013, 07:30:25 AM »

No, I agree with Gimmy. Motion controls are great. They just haven't been developed for well enough yet. AAA devs think they know everything. So they _have_ to do something new instead of just iterating mildly and they totally drop the ball, like that strat was going to work.

But Gimmy I think you're being overly harsh. "Laziness" is a strong word. Motion controls are not _easy_ to dev for. I've spent some hours thinking about how to make use of them and I have a hard time. I believe I have something to contribute in that field for sure, but it would still be a difficult journey. A lot more than not-laziness is required.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 07, 2013, 07:34:06 AM »

It's a mindset shift. I like to take ninja gaiden DS as an example, a full solid proof of a transition from a control scheme to another. I mean seriously, you even have more control and bandwidth than a full pad. Also while it's half ass implementation in an half ass game, the star wars apprentice game on wii was also amazing in the gameplay it promise.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 07, 2013, 07:37:09 AM »

also wand-waving can make you feel lame
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 07, 2013, 07:42:12 AM »

speak for yourself, Button looks weird and unnatural to me now

edit:
In fact force unleash wii is a proof of how much more control bandwidth you can have withe a wiimote. To bad you can't point but you can grab people lift them by angling the nunchuk, toss them somewhere in the screen, wave the wiimote in a direction to send nearby object slamming against it, if you have pointing it would be a massive dual juggling game. Review say the control feels right and that made them anticipate even better game with wiimotion + but it was the only one that ever does that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:47:41 AM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: July 07, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »

that's weird. you no gamer.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 07, 2013, 08:02:36 AM »

real gamer don't fear the stupidity of VR visor but wand is awful? However When I say button are weird, it's in spécific case, if I have a sword I want to swing, if I have a gun I want to point. BTW the best combo is button plus motion, push a button fine tune with motion ("waving" or just "stance" like up or down) the primary problem of motion is unwanted motion, and "free motion" recognition (without a validation) is actually less bandwidth than button augmented by motion. BTW smash bros use motion control on analog with smash move (tap the analog).

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 07, 2013, 08:05:45 AM »

point with a mouse. when I shoot I want to be on a good server, or watch a nice headshot anim, or just have more content in my story-line. the ais can be cool too.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1398 on: July 07, 2013, 08:08:58 AM »

I can imagine a bright future for videogames where you grab things and shake them, forever

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 07, 2013, 08:19:54 AM »

infinite cube, shake to the center
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic