Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:40:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCourier - Play Now!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Courier - Play Now!  (Read 813 times)
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »

Play Courier Now!

Courier is an RPG made with Construct 2 that lets you explore and interact with a large fantasy world.  But you're not the sword-swinging hero, and you're not the mystic sorcerer.  You're the peaceful Courier, making deliveries and helping all in the land.  You'll traverse many towns, locales, landscapes, dungeons, caves, and much more delivering items for the characters in the game world.  Along the way, you'll help them in their daily lives, influence their decisions, and unravel a plot to bind the Kingdom and cripple its outreach.  This all takes place in a dynamic, ever-changing, ever-expanding world that always has new things to discover and new places to go.

Courier's entire design is based around the type of gameplay possible in a browser with HTML5.  Two big issues exist with standalone applications: downloading and installing is a barrier to players, and players may not always be playing the must up-to-date version.  HTML5 browser games can fix this, and in a far more efficient way than Flash could before it.  You can log in anywhere and pick up where you left off (save data is stored off-site with your account), but you'll always be playing the most up-to-date version every time you log on.  This means that the world can constantly change and be updated, and everyone will be able to share that experience.  So events in-game could be independent of in-game triggers.  NPCs can pack up shop and move elsewhere.  Construction crews can build new bridges.  New discoveries can constantly be made, and NPCs just might not be tied to the same boring dialogue every time you speak to them.

I plan on all in-game changes being reflected in the game world.  For instance, before a new path opens up, you can see crews working on clearing a rockslide.  NPCs or signs might mention new things to come or rumors they've heard.  And then, you'll log in one day to find new content or places to explore.  This also means that the game world can be ever-growing.  At the start, the first town will be available to play--no need to wait.  Once the surrounding areas are developed, the game world can open up and change around you, and this process can constantly continue.  It doesn't have to get stale, and you can avoid the barrier created by client-based MMOs.

Being web-based means you can share your scores, findings, or even screenshots of things you've found with your friends and the world.  Your single-player experience doesn't have to be a solitary one.  A game about communication ought to encourage it!  There will also be in-app purchases available for people who want to enhance their play experience, expand their abilities, or, in the future, change costumes.  I also fully intend to have user-submitted costumes available for purchase so the users could make a benefit from the game, too.  There is no need for greedy begging for money, and the entire story can be played out for free.  That means no obnoxious flashing screens begging you to buy something.  Treating your players with respect goes a long way.  But bonus content and add-ons are available for people who want to boost their abilities.

I plan on fully supporting touch-based input, mouse+keyboard controls, and gamepad controls so everyone can play how they'd like, where they'd like.  At time of initial release, only mouse+keyboard controls will be available.  The rest will come a little further in.  This is all wrapped up in an efficiently-built, visually-appealing world with high-level professional music.

Play Courier Now!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:38:06 PM by adamprack » Logged

<--Check out my demo reel!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 03:18:01 AM »

You can play Courier now!  I've completed the closed beta and things seem ready to go for the public to give it a try!  I'll constantly be adding content, too, so keep watching for update notices.

Let me know what you think of the game--I look forward to hearing.

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »

Courier is up on the Chrome Store now so you can add it directly to your Chrome start screen.

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »

Here's a shot of the beach village in the next content update.  Enjoy!  And, yes, the palm leaves sway in the wind.

@Adam_Creations
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic