Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:55:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper XCVB: Arcade Rage Skill Avoid Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super XCVB: Arcade Rage Skill Avoid Game  (Read 1297 times)
makehimanoffer
Level 0

I make good games, I swear

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »

Hey guys,
So Super XCVB is essentially a massive expansion on a flash game I did for Newgrounds Game Jam where the you play as a sort of L arrow. And what you do is use the control XCVB to get your way through the levels.
X to left and right. C to up and down. V to go in the direction of UP or DOWN. B to go in the direction of Left or Right.

The newgrounds game had sort of a rainbow motif going where the levels started off black and white and then moved through each individual color of the rainbow until finally the levels were rainbow colored. There were also these things called Malevolent Levels where the world would flip 90 degrees meaning that controls you were used to would do something different.

Here's some screen shots from that game:

So you can sort of get the vibe.

Two of it's main inspirations are Sophie Houlden's Swift*Stitch and Terry Cavanagh's Super Hexagon.

So basically somewhere in between those lines came a game that one of it's main mechanics was alternate controls which were easy to learn but hard to master.

Since I had already made XCVB you would assume that I'd be further along maybe. Well the main thing I'm working on at the moment is basically improving the background stuff so it's more than just a sort of flash game. It's built on top of Flixel but I've ripped out their out of focus auto pausing, added some window resizing and am after overhauling the art about a million times at this point.

It's taken on a sort of spacey feel now.

But that being said the art is still in rough shape.

I also have to redo the way in which collisions are handled. As Flixel doesn't do Pixel Perfect Collision between a sprite and a tile. I have to put in a way for that to work.

I've also got some modes to implement.

As well as different mechanics, the most complicated of which is a sort of teleport thing.

Overall it's going well. Early days and all that.

Let me know what you think.

There's a video of markiplier playing XCVB here:

Check it out. Though it is an older Jam Only version of the game which has the potential to sort of hurt your eyes.

And here's the link to flash game prototypey thing:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/620811

Main Things To Be Done:
Refined Collisions
Level Design (improve the difficulty curve, since the flash game one made no sense)
Pausing and Menu System
Coding the advanced mechanics (these are the mechanics which expand upon the movement/control scheme mechanic in an interesting and a unique. They are fairly flexible based on how interesting they can be made to be.)
Screen Size System
Non-programmer Art (Will Come Later when I get the money to pay an artist something)
Saving and achievements
Multiple Modes (Time Attack, Survival, Lives, Difficulty's, etc)

Not sure how good of a first dev log this is. But I ran through alot of things.

Main thing I have to do is get the Flixel version to a stage where it is considered to be more than a flash game, but something you could sell. Even if I gave it away for free to everyone.

Anyways.
Cheers,
David Ryan
@DavidRyanDev
@xcvbStudios
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:05:34 PM by makehimanoffer » Logged

Not everything you call a game is a game. We need new definitions. We need interactive experiences. Short Interactions. And Games. Otherwise I'll accidentally end up playing a 'not game' and bitch about it on the internet.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »

THIS GAME LOOKS EVIL
I've seen Markiplier get angry before but, man, you took him to new levels. I'll give it a shot later :D

makehimanoffer
Level 0

I make good games, I swear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »

THIS GAME LOOKS EVIL
I've seen Markiplier get angry before but, man, you took him to new levels. I'll give it a shot later :D

Yeah. I've had to playtest it a few times because of camera issues between level switching. And at like green levels I began to hate myself for making those levels.

Not everything you call a game is a game. We need new definitions. We need interactive experiences. Short Interactions. And Games. Otherwise I'll accidentally end up playing a 'not game' and bitch about it on the internet.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic