Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 04:54:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBerathen Spirit Detective
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Berathen Spirit Detective  (Read 721 times)
Venks
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »

I would like to introduce you to Berathen: Spirit Detective. This game is a top-down, adventure RPG. Usually detective games are presented as point and click adventure games, but personally I prefer the world exploration you can only get in a RPG game.

My game is a murder mystery simulation where you play the part of a detective looking into a murder. You will also be faced with somewhat uncooperative and sometimes silly witnesses. It's up to you to search for clues and find out the truth.
The gameplay involves a lot of character interaction, doing quests for villagers, and several mini-games. Though the main focus is solving mysteries the game borrows a lot of its elements from RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VIII.

Don’t let me confuse you when I call this game a RPG. I mean it in the same vein that Harvest Moon is a RPG. There won’t be any random battles with monsters or anything. The focus of this game is to solve a crime. Not grind experience and gold for hours. Though there is plenty of ways to obtain money in the game and some less than morally bright ways to spend it as you pursue the truth as you see fit.

Check out the Facebook Fan Page: here
Check out the site for the game at: http://www.berathen.com
Venks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »

Not a lot of games use this, but I wanted to make my Detective Game have times where you're asked for specific information and you have to actually write in your answer rather than choosing from a few choices.

Could really use some feedback. What do you guys think of this UI?

goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »

It doesn't look bad to me. I know you're lacking space to make the dialog taller. I was wondering why you have spaces between the groups of characters? Also do you think caps is necessary? Might be a little too much to make things required to be case sensitive, to me. Sounds like a pretty cool idea. Something you don't see everyday. Keep it up! Smiley
Venks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »

I personally just like how the letters/numbers look with the space between them. It just feels right. I looked through a lot of games with similar systems from the NES to the GBA and based mine off of what I liked the best.

As for the option between caps and lowercase I put that there simply because I can. The player does not have to capitalize anything. Answering "biSCuItS" is just as acceptable an answer as "Biscuits".
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 03:12:48 AM »

I think it's a pretty standard-looking UI.  I'm not bothered by the spacing, and I think it might actually help to instinctively remember where the characters are, for some people.  having them all smashed together makes it hard to find the ones in the middle.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic