Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411667 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 09:43:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArcher Dash.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Archer Dash.  (Read 3459 times)
GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »

Archer Dash

What I am aiming for with Archer Dash 2, is a fun, slightly addictive infinite running game with a small twist. At certain points in the game you will have to confront a boss, and defeat him!

I want it to be a fun time waster, without being ridiculous and over the top.

Art Style

I loved playing on my Gameboy growing up. It was a true staple of my childhood, and some of the fondest video game memories I have. Period. I'll never be able to forget the signature "BA-LING!" you were greeted with when you switched on the power. I actually went and bought one recently, haha. That's why I decided to go with the Gameboy look for Archer Dash. Here are a few screenshots you can look at to get a rough idea of how the game looks!

The Characters

All the characters you see here are playable characters. I wanted to have something fun and spunky for people to be able to unlock, and since I more or less suck at character design, I hired Tyler Poe to do these characters for me. He's a guy I met on pixelation and pixel joint, and he is a fantastic artist. I just wish I could afford for him to make even more assets for me, but alas this project has a total budget of about $700.

Gameplay

A gameplay video will be coming soon!

However I do have a menu preview for you guys to see!

Where Archer Dash is at?

Currently, Archer Dash is in an alpha phase. Core gameplay mechanics are being tested, and bugs to the core system are being found and worked out, asking with optimizing for as many platform as possible before we start adding in more functionality. If you want in, the alpha link is here.

play.google.com/apps/testing/com.GrayGiantGames.ArcherDash2

Which Platforms will Archer Dash be on?

Currently planning on an Android and iOS release!

Timeframe for release?

I am hopeful that I will have Archer Dash ready to release in about 3-4 months time.

How is Archer Dash being Marketed?

OK, this is where I shamelessly ask for your help spreading the word about Archer Dash. I have no funds for marketing or advertising. I have no connections in the gaming industry. I have no connections in the marketing industry. If the deck could be anymore stacked against me being successful it would be to not have any help from those i can reach, the community. You guys are the lifeblood for what I do. People can't enjoy the works I want to make for them if they don't know they exist! I humbly ask for your assistance in helping Archer Dash to grow! Follow us on Twitter @GrayGiantGames, and tell anyone you think might enjoy Archer Dash about it!

What can I do?

Spread the word! Follow us on Twitter! If you know anyone in the gaming industry, make an introduction! If you are in the gaming industry I would love to meet you, and talk with you! I would be so humbled by any of these things happening. Someone going out of there way to help someone like me would just be earth-shattering for me and my family.

About Gray Giant Games

My name is Lucas Tinius. I am 27, married and I have 3 children. I work full-time supporting them, but am trying my hardest to make a better life for me and for them. Recently though, I've wanted to do something more. Something that would bring me a true sense of fulfillment, the corporate grind just isn't for me. So I decided to talk to my brothers about starting a company designing video games, and they were board, but slowly they've backed off, and now it's just me. I guess I said all that to say this, I am determined, and focused. I believe that with the gracious support of others and if the right people would be kind enough to give me an opportunity that Gray Giant Games could become so much more than what I could make it. Something that could create jobs and change lives. A studio made by the community that would in turn put their hearts and souls into making great games that the community will love and enjoy. Archer Dash is my attempt at making that first step, and I am humbly reaching out to you all, begging for support and the opportunity to make something great with all of you.

Thank you all so much for your time and attention.

Lucas

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:59:29 PM by GrayGiantGames » Logged

Our website: www.GrayGiantGames.com / Archer Dash iOS  Android / @GrayGiantGames
Pixelologist
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:03:34 PM »

I don't see any videos or art in your post.
GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:47:37 AM »

Thanks for letting me know. Not sure what happened.

Does anyone know how to embed YouTube videos in posts or is that not allowed here at TIGSource?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:52:39 AM by GrayGiantGames » Logged

Our website: www.GrayGiantGames.com / Archer Dash iOS  Android / @GrayGiantGames
Khelthos
Level 0

Khelthos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 04:05:48 AM »

Does anyone know how to embed YouTube videos in posts or is that not allowed here at TIGSource?

You might just fail at copy the link, one of them must be this one

GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 04:11:45 AM »

You might just fail at copy the link, one of them must be this one

I left off the www. Thanks friend!

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 08:48:15 AM »

When shooting your arrows, have you considered just slowing down time instead of stopping it? I think that could be an interesting dynamic that makes the game feel a little less off-and-on. Or maybe move the aiming automatically instead of allowing the player to aim, and then they have to time pressing a button to shoot at the correct target before the aim moves too far away?

What platforms are you targeting? Endless runner screams mobile, but seems like the aiming might be tricky for that.

kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 09:01:57 AM »

I'm loving those UI transitions. That's something I've always struggled with in my games. How did you build / synchronize those?

GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 01:02:17 PM »

When shooting your arrows, have you considered just slowing down time instead of stopping it? I think that could be an interesting dynamic that makes the game feel a little less off-and-on. Or maybe move the aiming automatically instead of allowing the player to aim, and then they have to time pressing a button to shoot at the correct target before the aim moves too far away?

What platforms are you targeting? Endless runner screams mobile, but seems like the aiming might be tricky for that.

I have, and am still playing around with how much time slows down. It actually doesn't freeze currently, it's just VERY slow. I am targeting mobile, and that's why time slows down so much, gives the user time to adjust the aim properly. There will be an adjustment slider so that players will be able to adjust the sensitivity to their liking. The demo that you watched was recorded straight off of my phone. My wife and son both like playing it, and don't seem to struggle with the touch controls as currently implemented. If you would like you could beta test. I wouldn't mind showing you the source code if that sort of thing worried you.

I'm loving those UI transitions. That's something I've always struggled with in my games. How did you build / synchronize those?

A combination of scripts and Unity's Mechanim system.

GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »

Main Character:

The unlock-able characters I have so far:

Let me know what you guys think! Are the characters readable? Do they make sense? Do you like them at all? I'm very capable of taking criticism, so please let me know good or bad!  Smiley

RIPPorkins
Level 0

#StayOnTarget

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 02:16:04 PM »

Main Character:

The unlock-able characters I have so far:

Let me know what you guys think! Are the characters readable? Do they make sense? Do you like them at all? I'm very capable of taking criticism, so please let me know good or bad!  Smiley

Is the first one a rat with a cape (because that is awesome!)? They are kind of hard to distinguish, but I have a feeling with animation they would come to life more.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »

had to zoom x3 the first one to understand what it seems to be an indian chief?.
GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 02:33:30 PM »

Is the first one a rat with a cape (because that is awesome!)? They are kind of hard to distinguish, but I have a feeling with animation they would come to life more.

No, but that would be awesome! I hadn't even considered animal-esque characters, but that is awesome idea! Honestly though, animations will be minimal, because:

1: I'm not very good at it.
2: Because I want to release in 3 months hopefully.
3: I'm a one man team, with another full-time job, and I don't have the time on my hands to do a ton of animating (a long and time consuming process).

had to zoom x3 the first one to understand what it seems to be an indian chief?.

That's what it is supposed to be, yes! 4 colors for a palette can be difficult, haha.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:45:53 PM by GrayGiantGames » Logged

RIPPorkins
Level 0

#StayOnTarget

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 06:35:25 AM »

I got confused because the eyes have no separation, and then I started looking for eyes and found the animal Smiley
I think if you change the eyes to be separate it will be a bit more clear.
GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »

I got confused because the eyes have no separation, and then I started looking for eyes and found the animal Smiley
I think if you change the eyes to be separate it will be a bit more clear.

Yeah I agree. Here is the latest update:

GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 05:17:28 AM »

UPDATE: After a lot of careful consideration, I have begun working with an artist on character design. His name is Tyler Poe, and here is his first set of character designs, this guy has some serious talent. I'm able to get really high quality for the menu UI and such, but when it comes to character design and especially animation, I just felt like my work was holding everything back. I felt like working with a talented artist to bring the quality of the characters up to par with everything else.

He's not super active on social media, but his twitter is @royalepoe.

GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 07:25:56 PM »

Some more menu updates.

TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »

Interesting concept, but stopping to aim and shoot really breaks the flow. Another person suggested you slow down time when aiming which is a good possible start. I have a few questions. Can you only shoot while jumping? Have you thought allowing the player to take aim while running? Perhaps you could implement a way to control the power of the bow/ the slope of the aiming trail in a more natural way.

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »

Interesting concept, but stopping to aim and shoot really breaks the flow. Another person suggested you slow down time when aiming which is a good possible start. I have a few questions. Can you only shoot while jumping? Have you thought allowing the player to take aim while running? Perhaps you could implement a way to control the power of the bow/ the slope of the aiming trail in a more natural way.

Thank you for the compliments!

You can fire while running, the diamond boxes just happened to appear at times where shooting them while jumping worked out best. I've actually already sped up the slow down time.

I'm not sure what you mean, is like with angry birds. Everyone who has played it so far thinks it's fairly natural. What would you have in mind? Very interested in what you think!

GrayGiantGames
Level 0

Following the Giant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »

Got the audio sliders and touch sensitivity sliders working today. The sensitivity slider was a lot more work than I originally thought it would be.

TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 06:27:44 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean, is like with angry birds. Everyone who has played it so far thinks it's fairly natural. What would you have in mind? Very interested in what you think!

I guess i would have to play a demo or test to really get a better perspective on it.

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic