Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411532 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 11:15:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCellcraft - an RTS about cell biology! and other stuff!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cellcraft - an RTS about cell biology! and other stuff!  (Read 3038 times)
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:42:39 AM »

Hi everybody!

I read TIGsource every day, but I'm a lurker on these forums for the most part. My buds and I just finished a year-long game project called CellCraft and we want to know what you think!

Everybody loves pictures so let's go:

The premise of the game is that you are a single-celled organism trying to survive in various hostile environments. Your main resources are ATP(energy) Glucose(sugar), Amino Acids(makes protein), Nucleic Acids(lets you send messages), and Fatty Acids(makes membrane).

The game works at two scales: you can zoom in to manipulate all your organelles and other cellular structures, or zoom out and control your entire cell as a sort of super-unit, that can move around all by its own through pseudopods.

The game starts off really simple, and then gets complicated, as you add one organelle at a time. Like my previous game, Super Energy Apocalypse, it's based off of real-world research, this time about cellular biology. We've done our best to be accurate, but if any of you are bio majors and find something wrong, just let me know and we'll fix it in version 2.0 Smiley

I collaborated on this with a few other guys - Anthony Pecorella, and Chris Gianelloni, some of you might recognize his artwork from the Reincarnation series of adventure games.

The game has 8 levels, and comes with an in-game encyclopedia that explains everything from both a gameplay and scientific perspective. Hope you guys have fun with it!

Now playable at a flash portal near you:
Play at Kongregate
Play at Newgrounds

Major props to our sponsors:
Carolina Biological supply
Digital Media & Learning Competition

More screenshots:

OMG! Viruses!

Exploring

Encyclopedia

Nostrils!
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:00:28 PM »

This is a really cool idea! I think my microbiologist friend will love this game. I'll link it to him.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

I like turtles.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »

I thought this game was really effin' cool. So, cheers! Beer!

I had one question about it, which is, howcome no inventory line & number for the repair units?

And I had one comment, that it seemed more like a TM game than an RTS game... either way, pretty unique!

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:58:56 AM »

@starsrift: There's no inventory line & number for the DNA repair enzymes because they're a temporary unit & I wasn't sure if it would just clutter up the interface. If you think it'd be a worthy addition to have them, though, I could easily put that in in version 1.0.2!

Nostrils!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic