Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 22, 2024, 12:53:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1980298 times)
increpare
« Reply #3900 on: September 28, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »

Welcome to all the newfolks  Coffee
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3901 on: September 28, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »

I would of been worried about smacking my head into the ground. I've seen people do it a couple times doing that.

DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: September 28, 2010, 04:25:55 PM »

Welcome everyone  Grin. Enjoy the forum.

Need a video of a game? Come request it at: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14291.0
Giaddon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: September 29, 2010, 01:24:32 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started learning how to develop games (programming and design, my art skills are...poor) and I thought I would sign up so I'd have people to talk to about it!

I'm a creative writing student who discovered that programming is basically the exact opposite of writing prose fiction, so it's nice to flop from one to the other when I feel stuck or bored.

As my gaming habits go, I tend toward clever mechanics I enjoy thinking about or an immersive style that pulls me in. The latter's pretty much out of my reach, as I'm no artist, so I'm hoping my games will at least achieve the former. Or they'll be fun. Or something.

Erick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: September 30, 2010, 02:15:04 AM »

Hello!

I'm just a simple person looking to make some simple, but fun games.

I got put onto this website by a friend of mine after much frustration in getting started with video game designing.

Where I sit is I know a lot of C++ but I can't seem to get the knowledge to take it to the next step.

I really hope I can become a part of the community and learn a lot about game making and the like!

Thanks!

Just me being me.
Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: October 01, 2010, 09:30:03 AM »

Hi everyone, because it is never too late to introduce yourself, I will do it right now, short but clear.

I'm lurking on the forum since february and when I have some time to spend on the forum, I mostly spend it in the Feedback area. I'm not really a game creator and I don't think I want to be one, but I do a lot of monitoring on the indie field since the four last years, and I'm totally stuck into it.

If I had to find 3 little keywords to summarize my role around here it would be:

- Proliferation: I want to spread the "indie" virus. Each time I met young game students I try to open their mind to indie game productions in order to show them something else than the classical video game industry.

- French: Yeah, I'm french and you are allowed to blame me for this if it makes you feel better. Despite this weird fact, I personally aim to develop the french indie scene in France, with the support of other fellows (organizing Jam Session, gathering funds for collective projects, creating exhibitions or events around our common interests, etc.). I'm also a member of the french collective One Life Remains.

- Experimental: Well, it's all in the title. I love everything that try to question and change the border of our field. This can be achieve by thinking about new gameplay or game concept, but also working with people from different background.

Well, I wanted to make a short and clean introduction and I hope it is. If any of you plan to travel in France, please write me a message and I'll be glad to meet you and introduce you there to "nice" people. Same things if you are french & indie and you are looking for more people like you... Wink

Ok, next.  Hand Any Key
Antiserum
« Reply #3906 on: October 01, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »

Hi I'm Antonio (Anthony is just fine too), and I come from Croatia, a small country familiar to some gamers only through "Serious Sam" I guess.
I'll be 26 in a few days and have been playing games since I was... 7-ish?
I work as a graphics designer, and am an artist wannabe currently working on my first two game projects... (if you don't count years of Dungeon Mastering Smiley )

When I was very young my father would tell me stories, which was just re-telling of various NES games he played, most notably Zelda. My imagination got hooked before I ever even played a Zelda game. Some years later I got a Sega Mega Drive and would play Alex Kid, Zoom and a few other for hours and hours. What I really wanted was a Zelda game, so my dear father got me a gameboy shortly after and what is to this day my favorite Zelda game of the lot "Link's awakening" (Ocarina of Time being a close second). I'm a probably a rare Zelda "fan" that never played LTTP whole way through hehe.

Diablo, Broken Sword 1&2 and Fallout 1&2 were my next drugs of choice, I was completely lost in them living my young life in fantasy land (not much has changed today hehe)
Other notable games that had a huge impact on me are: Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Metroid, Sanitarium... and more recently: Aquaria, Braid, Portal, Fallout 3 (for it's free roaming mostly), and many many flash games that make me feel all lost in another world for a couple of minutes.

With games I want to make people feel all mushy and soft on the inside, or scared shitless, or laughing with joy... to capture and manipulate their emotions like a good book does.
I love both 3D and 2D, but am not a huge fan of pixel art. While I personally don't mind pixel art I don't see myself ever dabbling in it.
I have no or very little interest in programming, but that's where my good friend Tain (also here) comes in.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:43:27 AM by Antiserum » Logged
tain
Level 0

PLEESTOP TO INFINITY!

View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: October 01, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »

hi, i am Tain.
Antonios good friend  Smiley

I take care about programming very passionately.
Everything started with Basic on Commodore64 and progressed to ActionScript and whole C family.
I found most aspects of programming interesting, and most languages.
From Assembly language to Lua.

I also love games, creating, experimenting, playing, winning, failing, evolving.
I try to see games not as they are but as they can be.
So i am very happy to finally get started seriously with production.

This forum has best smiley set ever.

Droop

My other growing interests are psychology, behaviorism, artificial intelligence, robotics, virtual reality, and lots of animals such as chickens, cows, turtles, mantises, pirates and robots.

This could be me

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:34:39 PM by tain » Logged
DustyJoel
Level 0

Lost in a misty forest...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3908 on: October 01, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »

Hello, everyone!

My name's Joel Carlson. I was a storyboard artist in the animation community for quite some time until I made the jump to video games several years ago. My first game, Steam Brigade, went on to be a finalist at Slamdance in 2007, and I received 'Graphics Game of the Year' from Gametunnel in 2006.

Currently I'm working on a side-scrolling strategy game called 'Dusty Sprocket' while doing freelance gigs on the side. You can check out my DevBlog at www.dustysprocket.com and see more of my artwork at www.mindofmotion.com

Though Canadian born, right now I live in wonderful Southern California with my beautiful wife and dog. If you need any artwork for your game, just give me a shout! I'm always open to freelance!

This is a wonderful community, and I hope I can add to the happy environment here!

Joel

Check out my DevBlog @ www.dustysprocket.com
Dead_Modern
Level 0

Welcome consumers

View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: October 03, 2010, 10:50:01 AM »

I've actually been on here before, but only for around four posts. Facepalm

So, reintrodution time:

I'm nobody and a transhumanist futurist with a love of horror, pulp action and science fiction.

I can't code, make music or art, pixel or otherwise. I'm very much here to learn (purely for hobby/freeware creation reasons). However, I do enjoy making pixel junk (I've as of this post got back into it) and I'm willing to contribute if your game takes my fancy.

While I have many game ideas, you're only likely to see a Marioesque platformer before the year is through, if at all.

Thank you. Smiley

I'm here to tell you about the monoculture.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3910 on: October 03, 2010, 11:26:12 AM »

Apologies, I forgot to post here first!

I'm an indie programmer and kindof artist who likes to write the odd game, and tinker with all things graphical. I've done 3 shareware games in the past, Storm, Sunny Ball and Neon Wars, but I no longer do shareware games. I've also done remakes of the ZX Spectrum game Chaos, first Chaos Funk and a more modern and expanded version called Chaos Groove.

I'm currently working on my own paint program D-Pixel which you can read about in the Art section of the forums.

I prefer retro and turn based strategy games, but am not a great games player or designer, I just like to tinker with things and be creative really. Smiley
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3911 on: October 03, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »

Ha! I was just reading the D-Pixel thread wondering if it was the same HappyMonster that made Chaos Funk/Groove games. I'm a huge Chaos fan and those are the best Chaos remakes I ever played. Welcome to you and indeed all the new TIGers Beer!

chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: October 03, 2010, 04:16:20 PM »

Hi, I'm Jacob

I've been failing to complete my game projects since I was around 12 and found a tutorial on how to make texture adventure games in q-basic. After getting a bit bored with that and also getting heavily into linux I mostly followed the linux indie game scene over at happypenguin.org and #gametome.     

I like simple skill based action games. I've spent way to much time playing x-moto. Puzzle games and old adventures games is also genres I really enjoy.

Nowadays I'm experimenting more with iphone and web games. I Hope that I can complete something to show you soon.
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3913 on: October 04, 2010, 05:15:50 AM »

welcome peoples! enjoy your stay Gentleman
crimson_penguin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: October 05, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »

Sorry, didn't know to post here first! Yes, I should've known... My only excuse is that most forums' rules prohibit things I wouldn't want to do anyway, so I have a bad habit of ignoring them. Anyway...

Hi! I'm Ben, and I live in the middle of nowhere in Ontario. I've been into gaming since my family got our first Mac laptop; it had a color screen, and I think the hard drive was 120MB, that's about all I remember about it. Some of the first games I remember playing on it were NSTower, and Realmz. My parents had a 1 hour a day policy, but somehow it didn't really work out like that for very long... At a certain point I started playing Neopets, started learning HTML to make sites related to it, became convinced that Flash was where it was at and started trying to animate things with it. At a certain point I realized that I sucked at drawing and animation, and that it was much more interesting to make games with Flash. After making some games with Flash (some of them for other smaller pet sites), I became fed up with how slow Flash was, and started learning C++ and SDL. Once I knew enough, I attempted writing a Tetris clone; I didn't expect to succeed at first, but I started with a piece editor (to define the pieces), and once that was working, started on the actual game... and eventually, it was playable! A while later, after learning more, I came back to it, improved it a whole bunch, and called it Sporktris (it has nothing to do with sporks, but my website is happyspork.com). That was a few years ago, but it's still my biggest (and most successful) C++ project I've done on my own.

For the past couple years I've been working on Frogatto, being somewhat of a "lots of little things" guy (website, packaging, porting to iPhone, posts to forums like this, etc.), and packaging Wesnoth for Mac. I don't actually play a whole lot of games most of the time, but they've remained a big interest for me. And now and then I'll get sucked into one for a while (today I finished Zelda: A Link To The Past!)

Aside from games, I'm into photography (see website above), circus-y things like unicycling and diabolo, drumming, web development, card house building, and lots of other stuff.
Jetrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: October 05, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »

Hi, my name is Richard Kettering, and I go by the handle "Jetrel" for most of my online jive.

It's odd that I haven't had anything to do with this community, because I'm more or less a poster child example of the canonical "indie game developer", both in terms of working philosophy and what I've made.  That said, I have had a lot of involvement in the open-source gaming community, which overlaps this to a certain degree.

Although I'm a computer/math/science guy "at heart", I found at about the age of 21, that no one was going to make any of my game art for me, so I ended up getting into art after a lifetime of no talent at it.  With a lot of help from an engineering mindset, I like to think I prevailed (and more importantly, that anyone else of similar discipline can do the same).

My two game projects thus far have been Battle for Wesnoth, and Frogatto and Friends, both of which are freely downloadable, but are also being sold on mobiles.  Please give them a shot - especially, please consider using frogatto's engine if you're interested in making a 2d action game.  We made it open-source for that express reason, and it's both easy to use and very, very well optimized.

Also, if anyone out there is interested in collaborative work, I'm quite open to it.  Speaking on behalf of the frogatto team, we'd be really interested in joining forces with some other team that's got a really promising core of a game done, but just doesn't have enough manpower to get it out of development hell.

Anyways, I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer, and have a lot of thoughts and philosophy about game design.  However, I tend not to buy current games, not out of nostalgia, but just an inability to afford modern gaming hardware+software.  For example, I bought SC2, and likely will buy Civ5, but really can't justify buying several dozen $60 AAA titles every year, nor can I afford to buy some tricked-out $5000 alienware rig to play Chrysis.  So I play a lot of games, but I'm not what comes to mind when you hear the term "hardcore gamer".
valleyman86
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3916 on: October 06, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »

Hello. My name is Joey and I am an indie dev. I am primarily a programmer and have done a bit of my own artwork in the past. I recently found that paying someone to do this makes life way easier though.

Anyways I have many many projects that I have been working on and only a handful of finished games. I mostly develop for iPhone right now because I find it is very easy to distribute your finished games. I like that. I made two games so far for the iPhone. They are called Cave Dweller and Stax PRO. Cave Dweller is a puzzle game while Stax is a game similar to the stacker arcade game.

Anyways I like learning about new ways to improve my programming skills and I like meeting new people. This is what brings me here.

JJames19119
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: October 07, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »

I almost forgot to post here. Admittedly, I didn't look hard enough for this kind of thread either.

I'm JJ, real name being John but I very much prefer to be called JJ, even in real life. My real name is just a rather formal way of calling me, to me anyways.

Been programming (or attempting to) for five years now, if not longer. Started with Multimedia Fusion, became very adept at it, and even now I'm a rather tuned user of MMF2, able to output a lot of things using it in a couple days flat. Lately though I've been trying to find myself in other languages like Java and C++. I consider myself rather adaptive and I can understand various pieces of even foreign code as long as it's not something inherently difficult like ASM. I have two projects going on at the moment, one is serious while the other is a bit casual and just there to help me learn C++. As well, I also run a small game server an even smaller community no one's probably heard of. I'm not much good at anything else, as my spriting skills are poor, my other graphic experience is non-existant, and my composition of music is below average at best. Although people have told me I write good stories.

I have tons of dead projects in my past but I prefer not to talk much about them. Too much to really say for something that's uninteresting at the very most.

You don't know me. No, really, you don't.
johncage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: October 08, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »

Hi,

I'm John Cage and the codin' (c,c#,blitxmax) is my number one hobby - escpecially space action- type games at this time.

My first passion was music - and I love to compose some tracks to my game projects.

My current project (Star Opus I) is made by Blitxmax + C, but I'm considering to convert it to C#.
Star Opus trilogy is my primary game project. Currently coding new aliens with some mystic steering behaviours. And of course making new music tracks.

Our 13 year old cat called 'Rocky' gives me some inspirational moments:)

My all time favourite pie is chanterelle-bacon-truffle-pie (made by my wife). This is the best pie in the world:)

I'm a real habanero lover, and this is my all time favourite:

My home studio:

And the best CBM 64 game is of course Paradroid:

"In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart." -Anne Frank
Regards,
John Cage
http://www.emsproject.com
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:31:15 PM by johncage » Logged
The Djinn
Level 0

Life is chaos, changing. Death is order, eternal

View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: October 08, 2010, 11:59:20 PM »

Wizard Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Day, or Good Night (Well, if any of those times were good for you) Wizard

My name is J. Coronel, and well--.... I'm new. And I like stories. And I like to make stories.

Like any well raised youth, taught to respect your elders and always eat the green mushrooms for an extra life, I was given some sort of digital entertainment to quell my unending energy, and want to run around a home like a madman (My first was the Sega Genesis with Primal Rage. Great way to live a child hood: With dinosaurs and giant, apes with terrible flatulence).

My youth-defining game would have to be Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, for the Nintendo 64. Albeit the writer at me cringed every now and then at the dialogue NPCs gave, sometimes very unrealistic, the writer in me LOVED how the game's setting was made to be an allegory to the five stages of depression... that, or the literal interpretation that some orphan found a magic mask, doesn't like people, so he's going to bludgeon an entire town with a mass of astral moon-rock. And that you wore the masks of dead people, and the more dark mood, compared to other LoZ games (Yay, turn a dead fish-person's cadaver into a wooden mask with a song, with your flute!).

My adolescence-defining game, for me, would be World of Warcaft (Yay for a loss of four years of my life...). If it wasn't PVP, Raiding, Community-Interaction, or the grief a given by change (C'mon, who needs change in their life?), it was the scenery and music. Whenever there was nothing going on, beyond the monitor and even in it, I would have my proud, aristocratic human mage traverse the world, with the occasional player riding or running past me, whilst I observe the slowly passing world with the (usually) appropriate music, for the environment's mood. (Mabye my adolescence defining game is Morrowind or Oblivion... Meh, I like an open world).

But, my all-time favorite game (Which had so much potential) would have to be Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube (Yay, I heard someone cringe!). The gameplay was so simple, although fights could have been more engaging, with the game's mechanics. It's only drawback (In my opinion) were all the accessories needed to bring people together (All the cables, and the gameboys... Gugh).

As I said the moment you started reading this post(And possibly stopped), I like to make stories. And I've got a couple stories I'd like to be games. More often than not, most game writers nowadays disregard that a video game is interactive, and supposed to have almost boundless freedom, while playing. Most of the time, a game's story is very linear, and restrictive, as well as bland and usually just a fetching or killing objective to something entirely unrelated to the game's plot.

But, while I'm here at TIGForums, I'd like to try to get a project (or two) off the ground, first being an open world, fantasy MMO (Project Bulwark), and make it a little more untraditional to most MMOs (Destroy, Escort, Gather, Kill, get away from MOST of those). But, of course, I couldn't do it alone (Well, I can't do it alone, because I can't learn C++ programming for the life of me. And I love living).

Wizard So, in closing, good day, good night, good morning and good evening, ma'ams and gents. Wizard

“A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.”
- from Sons of Anarchy (2008-)  

(P.S. If you curious on my aforementioned "Project Bulwark", private message me on anything you'd like to know about it)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:17:21 AM by EfreetNDjinn » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic