Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 04:43:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Palette Maker
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Palette Maker  (Read 9285 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate this tool.  I've been meaning to make something similar actually.  This is exactly how I choose colors in my mental model - and having a tool to visualize it would be invaluable.

I wrote a post about this some time ago on Pixelation:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10010.msg108254#msg108254

Haha! Interesting, it seems we had the exact same line of thought! Palette maker started with the idea that a gradient could be either a "rainbow gradient" going throught all the hues at full saturation(blue, green, yellow) or a "straight gradient" (blue, gray, yellow). It's interesting with your discovery that PS uses a LAB gradient, I thought it used the "straight" method. I guess that since the LAB goes for the middle it turns out the same as the straight if you use complementary colours.

Here's an MSN upload for those of you having troubles, enjoy:
http://cid-5762070d2575b6b4.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Palette%20Maker.zip

I'm glad many people say they can use this!  Smiley Please, if you have used it for anything you think turned out good, show me!

I could propably create an export function for the PC, but all PC:s to my knowledge have print screen. For the mac I wouldn't even know where to begin Shocked
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »

Here's an MSN upload for those of you having troubles, enjoy:
http://cid-5762070d2575b6b4.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Palette%20Maker.zip

Doesn't work either. I get an infinite redirection loop.
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 05:53:45 AM »

The msn link worked fine for me...

This little program is both useful and fun to use. Many thanks!

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 12:52:53 AM »

It's probably a badly coded site that's stuck in a redirection loop if you don't accept cookies, or something. In any case, I still can't get it.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »

It's probably a badly coded site that's stuck in a redirection loop if you don't accept cookies, or something. In any case, I still can't get it.

Since I appreciate that you seem interested enough to not just give up the first time it didn't work I emailed it to you Tongue

Also this thread is starting to be too much about web hosting  Cheesy
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »

This is sooo cool.  Kiss

I think it'd be pretty awesome if you could input some colors and see what the curve looks like.

(Mainly as a learning tool)
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 02:37:48 AM »

Since I appreciate that you seem interested enough to not just give up the first time it didn't work I emailed it to you Tongue

For the love of god, I just can't seem to get my hands on this thing!

I got no e-mail; Where'd you send it? I even tried to check the spam filters.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 12:56:46 AM »

It appears my hotmail managed to check inside the .zip and found the .exe, and didn't send the mail Shocked Strong forces are trying to prevent this!

Good news is that ChevyRay has uploaded it to his site!
http://flashpunk.net/downloads/PaletteMaker.zip
Thank you!

Core Xii: If this doesn't work it is against the will of God, and we should propably give up before the universe collapses.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 02:02:01 AM »

Finally. Gentleman

This is interesting. I'm gonna have to experiment.
lnsine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »

Very intuitive tool, bravo! Being mainly a programmer, I have difficulty handling colors, and was looking for a tool or method to help me pick out palettes. I came across this while reading through the forums, well after giving up, and It was quite a joy. It may mean little to you, but this tool will be in my special 'tools' folder, making my life easier for years to come.Hand Clap Kiss.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »

Your palette maker is fantastic!  Really fast to make quality usable colour schemes.  Thanks!   Hand Thumbs Up Left

If you could implement a quick save feature it would really make it useful for real world work.  Either just save the palette as a bmp or png, or better yet be able to drag it onto the desktop or into my paint app as a new layer.

Thanks as well to everyone who shouted about hosting, now lots of people can enjoy this tool!

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 01:11:11 AM »

If you click the middle node of an effect a slider appears to the left of the gradient, where you can change the amount of the effect from -100% to 100%.

Thing is that two colours that are 180 degrees separate on the wheel are complementary colours, and all complementary colours go through a neutral colour(shade of black, white, gray) when they're mixed, therefor the gray. If you make a straight line through the center you should get a gradient that is somewhat like what photoshop would give you if you made a gradient between those two complementary colours. The difference would be that in PS some hues are lighter because they have two LED:s lit(red is r255, g0, b0 and yellow is r255, g255, b0), but I treat all hues as equally light and desaturate them to a 50% gray.

this is an awesome post

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic