Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411596 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 08:08:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDoom
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Doom  (Read 6729 times)
0stasis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »

Since Doom came out, I want to know what people thought about the game. Anyone getting a kick out of snapmap? Sounds like you can do some fun stuff.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:02:11 PM »

can someone please tell me this game sucks because i don't want to get hyped for it and waste another 60 euros. already spending too much on entertainment lately.
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 01:04:04 PM »

Grabbing it in a few hours actually, I've seen footage and I'm very pleased that they are taking a stab at bringing back what made the originals so great...frantic, run and gun action vs legions of enemies where one wrong move will likely equal a quick death.

I was more than a little disappointed in Doom 3 as it was basically a run of the mill FPS with doom skin...Oh no, a couple enemies jumped out of the shadows...again... Roll Eyes

I saw footage of demons flooding from the rooftops like the wildebeest stampede in the lion king and decided not to ruin anymore of this iteration until I play it...I think this one's gonna be gooooooooood  Evil

I'm gonna grab this and crank the difficulty up to the highest available and have at it...so yeah I'll tell you what I think of it later.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »

How's the monster infighting?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
NoLocality
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »

How's the monster infighting?

Hopefully it exits...that was a great aspect of the originals.

can someone please tell me this game sucks because i don't want to get hyped for it and waste another 60 euros. already spending too much on entertainment lately.

Will do.  I'm like that to, it's a very rare event where I'll drop more than 20$ for a game...but I'm getting a sense that they did this one "right" for the most part.

Edit- I misread your post Silbereisen I thought you were stingy with your entertainment budget and reluctant to part with 60 unless you knew it was worth it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:29:05 PM by NoLocality » Logged

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »

just do what i do, impulse buy anything shiny on steam then return 99% of them for full refund after writing a scathing review that gets voted to oblivion by the games fanboys and stays invisible for a year or so until enough people get duped into buying it by the glowing reviews that the negative reviews start coming out on top.

that said even I havent picked up doom yet, and i was SUPER excited when i saw the early trailers and description, what kinda killed my excitement though was the stuff i've seen from the multiplayer beta onward, such as the games heavy reliance on the super slow, repetitive, almost cutsceneish finishing blows (even in multiplayer), and things i learned like that you have to pick loadouts before the match for the guns you spawn with instead of them being map based, and there being all sorts of player builds and loadouts combining different hack kits and such.

It might still be fun but really doesn't seem like it's the kind of game I or many other classic arena fps gamers were hoping for, really I just wanted a straight up arena shooter, no levels, no loadouts, no unlockables, just a level, a frag count, and as many guns as the weapon bar on my screen can hold.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »

multiplayer seems to be kind of a dud, yes, but i heard the singleplayer campaign is excellent. i never expected doom to have good MP to be honest.
NoLocality
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »

So I'm 1-1/2 levels in and having a blast.

I was sad to find that the top two difficulties are locked (Nightmare and Nightmare/One Death gameover/ no loading states), so I cranked up the difficulty to Ultra-Violence, Cranked up the field of view and turned off the HUD.

I've died about 4-5 times, the same way you have that Fatality system...as do the enemies on occasion.

The greatest star so far to me is the enemy AI and how they were handled, everything can kill you in about 2 seconds and they are all super aggressive and very unpredictable.  They path around and those that don't rush you will literally take the high-ground and cover area's with ranged attacks for the ones moving in.

At one point I was chasing an Imp who was running away from me at about the same speed I could chase it at, this thing started blindly throwing fire-balls over his shoulder at me without looking back.  This gave me pause a second, it used this time to scramble up a stack of crates and rapidly rain fireballs down at me while his friends (who were chasing me from behind the whole time) took to mele-ambushing me...clever girl. 

The enemies think...they think very very fast.

So far the game seems to be 80% action 20% everything else, no cutscenes...screens, holograms and audio seem tell what's going on and it all seems to be noninvasive to the gameplay.  You can walk away from screens that show prerecorded stuff and still hear them from down the hallway while exploring further and sometimes holograms pock up to show past events and such.

Audio is bad-ass, the racket that comes from around the corner let's you know your about to get jumped by fifteen or so angry mobs...and it messes with you nice and proper.  Not to spoil things but I've snapped the aim to my back expecting to die on more than a few occasions only to find I was unexpectedly alone...I think...

Graphics are as expected, go look up some gameplay or a screenshot 'cause i have little to add.  One thing of note is that the devs seem to have had a bit of fun with the whole "hidden in plain sight" thing...no spoilers but this friggin' game made me jump one good time lol.  It wasn't even something scripted, it seems the environment is designed for just such things, it's all blind corners in facilities, whisps of dust randomly hazing up area's of the planet's surface and steam jets spewing out of pipes obscuring vision.  With the enemies rapidly hunting you down they will explode through these vision obscuring obstacles right next to you, from under you, groups raining from above...it's great.

Secrets everywhere it seems, no spoilers for you!

Highly recommended if adrenaline game-play is your thing, so far it's delivering very nicely on what they have promised.

Now off I go to waste a couple days... Evil Evil Evil

halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 09:48:18 PM »

0stasis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 06:23:02 AM »

so I wanted to see other responses before I dropped my review/impressions.

Doom's campaign is a lot of fun. From start to finish, I felt like even though enemies spawned in random areas and a lot of the old shoot to deactivate lock down sounded repetitive, but I couldn't help to feel in constant rush or panic. Because the enemies are unpredictable, the AI just got you tensed up everytime there was a lock down or a new enemy appeared. I mean ya some are right in front of you but out of nowhere, 2 huge Hell knights come racing to you, you realize you are out of ammo for your chainsaw so you dash down to the lower level, then all of sudden Revenants are shooting down rockets while you're fighting a Baron! It's just constant pressure with pulsing metal as you blast away at Imps. Bosses are pretty hard enough to die a few times but once you realize there's a pattern then it's over. I wish they over lapped more but maybe it would have been too hard. I wouldn't say it was easy cause I had more than hand full of times of dying in certain levels but once you sorta get what's around you, you play differently. Maybe I shouldn't take the quad damage perk just yet or anything similar like that. I do want to say that I missed the lack of ammo like in Doom 3. In this game you almost never run out of ammo. Except in Boss battles but even then, if you're risky enough to grab them, then you would almost never run out of ammo. But then again I just went on normal. I should try hard.

Multiplayer just...I can't say it's amazing because there are lots of balancing issues like distance of melees and the demon runes which you basically run away cause there's nothing you can do when you're in front of it. I mean ya sure shoot once but wait you're dead. Though weirdly enough I didn't get a lot of full blown lost ownage games but still. If there's an enemy near by, I gotta spam the melee attack cause I know he will. So the meta is, shoot with shotgun once or twice then go for the melee. 

Snapmap is fun. If Doom only came with the campaign and multiplayer, I would say torrent it but this changes it up in my opinion. Plus there's a lot of potential to make cool fun levels with box triggers, currency system, unlockables with set objectives. I mean a lot of people sorta use the pre made stuff but it's only been out for a few days. So far I'm digging it and I feel I want to get into snapmap for fun.

That's my 2 cents. The game might turn off some people, I thought it would for me but I like it.
Magurp244
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »

From what i've seen, its different but not bad. The thing that sticks out for me though is that Doom always had this way of dicking with you, there were always a lot of set/optional baited traps and hidden doorways, "You want that shiny gun? Well go on! Take it! Its so pretty, you know you want to!", followed by hordes of monsters and murderous traps if you fell to temptation. In this new version, its more of a "oh look, theres a hell portal thingy, well might as well turn it on to advance the plot and fight in this convient arena space (insert ass-kicking here)". Exploration (other than for achievement hunting) is also kind of muted, even getting certain gun's is unavoidably scripted and comes complete with an achievement.

As I said, its not bad, but where the originals could at times be more contemplative and devious, this one espouses more straight up pulse and flow. Its a subtle distinction, but I feel it puts it closer to a Quake 3 story mode or Painkiller than Doom, at least gameplay wise.
krides
Level 0

The Old Man and the Sea of Video Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 10:49:40 PM »

Its a subtle distinction, but I feel it puts it closer to a Quake 3 story mode or Painkiller than Doom, at least gameplay wise.

Thank you for this comparison, Magurp244. I will take Q3/Painkiller over brown military shooters (and yes, even on the orbit) any day. If this is the greatest flaw of the game, I'm all in. In fact, opening PSN right now.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:56:42 PM by krides » Logged

I am part of the Ocelot Society.
@krides on Twitter.
Current project: Event[0].
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 10:21:12 AM »

can you coop the singleplayer?

also how's the monster infighting?

Magurp244
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 01:20:06 PM »

I don't know about co-op, but if I had to guess i'd say no. There is monster in-fighting though, but the most i've seen so far is barons and mancubus's fighting zombies.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 01:26:11 PM »

is it still enemies standing next to each other looping attack animations like in doom 3 or is it actually cool

Magurp244
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 02:04:46 PM »

Looking at it, i'd say that it may fall under "cool". You can see a bit of it for yourself in this video: [www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-3g57I-6Ao] at the 6:50 minute mark where a Baron attacks a bunch of Imps/Zombies.

Also, I really don't like how it always embed's video instead of just putting the link...
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 07:53:37 PM »

https://youtu.be/2-3g57I-6Ao?t=410
there!

for non time based video just add a "?" after the link

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 10:17:55 PM »

is it still enemies standing next to each other looping attack animations like in doom 3 or is it actually cool

It's alot like fighting skaarj, yeah. And just about any of the enemies can be like that. Imps are probably the most mobile and adept things you'll face, and they come in quite frequently. They hang from walls throwing fire at you. Some will charge at you for melee attacks, while others in the same area are hanging back charging bigger attacks or just flinging multiple smaller flames.

It's kind of amazing how cohesive and strategically these enemies work together. And with each new enemy introduced there's another layer of that tacked on, and enemies will definitely work together to fight you. Though yeah, sometimes they get pissed and start fighting each other. Hell, if you hang back in some areas you can see them straight up brawling. when you reach Hell the first time, there's a bunch of cacodemons attacking a Mancubus on a platform. As long as you stay out of firing range they'll just duke it out!
The only enemy that DOESN'T return is the Arch-Vile. It's replaced with the Summoner though, which brings in more imps while teleporting around, flinging energy blades and ground shattering beams at your general direction. It's one of the few enemies that kinda acts on it's own, and it has areal penchant for teleporting to where you can't quite get a good bead on it.

I think the big takeaway from the game is how it constantly forces you to take on threats, and especially puts emphasis on using the chainsaw and glory kill mechanics to save your ass in tight situations. In the span of 15 seconds, you're getting chased by a hell knight, slam dunking possessed to get health, then clammoring up high and jumping into a cacodemon to chainsaw it's face, where you then turn to face the hell knight and kill it with your recharged health and refilled ammo.
You as the player aren't as fast as Doom 1 and 2, but there really isn't anything that fast anymore. The emphasis is now on making the combat fast, and it's probably the most kinetic thing I've played since Metal Gear Rising.

Also, the upgrade system is actually worth playing with. The arsenal of 10 guns very quickly gets an extra 14 or so weapon mods, which drastically change how the gun handles (assault rifle's micro rockets are insanely satisfying to use, oh my god, shotgun can be turned into a Flak Cannon or an accurate assault gun) Runes can change alot about how much easier it is to play the way you want, suit upgrades give you some neat advantages (environmental upgraded fully gives you immunity to explosive barrel damage, hell yeah!) and going through the weapon upgrades and masteries make everything feel that much more satisfying to use.

I have seriously not had this much fun in ages. I'm actually enjoying myself playing a game??? It's been so long, i forgot what childlike giddiness felt like!

E: also the music is rad as fuck

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:43:43 PM by Applefat.GOV » Logged
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »

Praise our lord and savior the Doom Marine, Rip And Tear to save us all from eternity in Hell.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »

Welp

This seems like it's doing way too many things right to skip

God dammit

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to: