Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 05:49:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralOculus founder is funding anti-Hillary "shitposting" campaign
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Oculus founder is funding anti-Hillary "shitposting" campaign  (Read 12882 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2017, 05:04:03 PM »

Also infrastructures

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »

i wasnt speaking literally. charity rarely takes the form of just handing out money to people irl. if it was that, then yeah i could agree.
Charity comes in a lot of forms. Some of the most effective that I've seen first hand is donating time and labor. Fixing homes, repairing cars, donating building materials, etc. Where the poor often struggle the most is in these areas, most people don't have the skills or resources to handle major disasters when they are low income so the loss of a vehicle, a collapsing roof, etc. can be devastating.

I do a lot of free computer repair and general carpentry and landscaping fixes for people (I am usually contacted by someone I know who knows someone else in need). What I do could cost hundreds if done professionally and most of the people I do it for barely can pay their most basic living expenses. We just got helped by a construction company that redid some of our flooring and our porches (which were deteriorating when we got the place). It would have cost us thousands we didn't have.

Direct help is some of the best forms of charity (and least squandered).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:12:13 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »

non-profit microloans (kiva, grameen) seem to work pretty well.

People generally know how to improve their own situation given resources to do so, but sometimes you also can't just provide a generic resource because sometimes the rational thing to do is to spend it on e.g. something that's good for the individual/family/community but bad for the environment, meaning the country, meaning everyone, in the long run. Concrete example: people need charcoal to cook, charcoal has to be made from wood, so giving people more money to buy charcoal speeds up deforestation and fucks everyone over in the long run. better then to provide people with gas stoves first.

Also infrastructures
basically

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »

People without basic comfort are more likely to be depressed and are more likely to spend money irresponsibly. So yes, giving money to the poor improves the situation.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 01, 2017, 07:33:55 AM »

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-vr-will-not-have-a-booth-at-e3-this-year/

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 01, 2017, 07:39:29 AM »

BUt do you have data to back this up? Because data I have show teh contrary on aggregate.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2017, 07:44:46 AM »

BUt do you have data to back this up? Because data I have show teh contrary on aggregate.
i have data showing that you caught hiv from having sex with a public computer in a 90s style "internet cafe" in 2013 which you accomplished because your dick is the exact shape and dimensions of a scsi connector
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 01, 2017, 07:46:43 AM »

nah, you confused me with an echidna, must be the beard

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 01, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »

Anyway more seriously, the problem is developed country vs developing, being poor in those are very different, it's not the same affordance at all. Buying a cow give you nothing in developed country, it's a problem of infrastructure in poor country.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 01, 2017, 08:28:42 AM »

Anyway more seriously, the problem is developed country vs developing, being poor in those are very different, it's not the same affordance at all. Buying a cow give you nothing in developed country, it's a problem of infrastructure in poor country.
it gives you a cow dumbass
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 01, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »

Yes but not a full fledge growing business, why so literal smartass?

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2017, 08:41:35 AM »

Some years ago, my Kiva loan went to a woman who needed new tires for her rickshaw business in Philippines. Sounds insane, but hey, it helped her and her business. Also Philippines have a bit more money flowing through it thanks to those tires.
The point is, you are now arguing weirdly specific details which any self-respecting NGO already understands.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »

I agree with the above post.

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »

but once you all recognize the secret of his exposure, you will be ashamed of your words and deeds
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »

https://twitter.com/iku_arino/status/860347374719213568

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »

Goatee + anime, is that the perfect combination of untrustworthyness?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »

yeah the whole donating from your vast fortune to get right wing populists elected wasn't enough of a giveaway

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »

"The Oculus offices were on the Facebook campus. It certainly was a great working environment. But I had to restrain myself working there. I could not cosplay while working at Facebook."

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2017, 10:03:20 PM »

incredible

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2017, 10:47:15 AM »

Dont  ruin Chrono trigger with ALt-Right crap. We already have lost Pepe. damn.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic