Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 06:14:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFez
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 126
Print
Author Topic: Fez  (Read 573093 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2340 on: April 20, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »

Mine is Majesty, but all of them are pretty good.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2341 on: April 20, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »

So yeah, about the sound track:

SPOILERS:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/961239-fez/62594884

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2342 on: April 20, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »

My fave is Nocturne, mainly because neon town was my fave location. Love the whole thing though.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2343 on: April 20, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »

I think my fav ingame was Continuum, but it works best with the accompanying visuals. Sync and Flow are probably my favs from just listening to the soundtrack.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: April 20, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »

So, I only did the lesser ending (I think I wound up with something like 40 cubes or so), but I thought the game was ok. 

It's beautiful and the music is great, but those are the only unqualified successes of the game. 

Obviously, there are puzzles that I didn't solve (and maybe those ones were great), but the puzzles in the game come off more as homework than anything else.  Most of them revolve around the number system, the alphabet, or the rotation/input system (or some combination of the above), and once you figure out what those things mean, there is nothing to it.  It's just sort of rote. 

Also, the platforming is sluggish and joyless.

I don't know, am I crazy?  Am I just a contrarian hipster asshole?  Am I missing something? 
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2345 on: April 20, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »

Nah, as much as I love the game, I must admit that a lot of the puzzles work just as well out of the game and disconnected from the game and its core mechanic as they do in game. With Braid, for example, pretty much all of the puzzles were tied to the central time rewinding mechanic, but deciphering an alphabet and number system is something you could just as well do on a beach with pen and paper in hand -- you don't really need your Xbox for that. But I believe it's possible to get the 32 cube ending without cracking the alphabet or number system at all, so you can just think of that as something extra on top of the base game.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Tifu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2346 on: April 20, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »

You definitely can complete the game without any knowledge of the alphabet/numbers/button codes, cos I did! You can even got some of the secret cubes without deciphering anything.

I really loved the more hands-on puzzles though, especially that one with four cubes and the tetris shapes, excellent! I would have preferred more of that, but I guess some people love cryptography.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2347 on: April 20, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure you don't need the language to get all 64 cubes. I can only remember one puzzle with the language, and it wasn't for a cube.

You need the numbers, but they're easier to figure out and to read.

I got the 32 cube ending before figuring out the language, the numbers, or even the button codes.
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 21, 2012, 01:44:08 AM »

I think there's actually very little that could work well if you separated it out of the game.

The 32 cubes are very nearly all from exploring and using the basic actions. It's the anti-cubes that involve deciphering stuff like treasure maps, numbers, tetrominos, vibrations, etc. (and also a bit of harder platforming). Most of that is integrated: it wouldn't mean as much if you weren't coming across things in the game world and wondering what they mean. And even once you've deciphered some things and understand the standard solution, it's then used in a few variations that go beyond the standard and do involve the environment (e.g. the room where the platforms form the tetromino code).

The only puzzle that uses letters is an extra, not for any of the 64 cubes (and it's not the hard part of that puzzle).
Sam English
« Reply #2349 on: April 21, 2012, 04:24:17 AM »

Man, I really enjoy the soundtrack. Pardon my usage of this overused, widely misunderstood word, but it truly has some EPIC moments. And I love the bitcrusher on everything.
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2350 on: April 21, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »

Man, I really enjoy the soundtrack. Pardon my usage of this overused, widely misunderstood word, but it truly has some EPIC moments. And I love the bitcrusher on everything.

Yeh, the soundtrack is awesome! it got featured on IndieGames.com
http://indiegames.com/2012/04/fez_soundtrack_out_now_filled_.html

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: April 23, 2012, 06:15:06 PM »

My, my, my, I certainly hope all of these secret images in the soundtrack mean something.

AWWWWWWW SHIIIIIT

INCOMING ARG VIRAL FOR SECOND POLYTRON GAME.  CALLING IT.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2352 on: April 25, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »

I just read that the blinking red dots visible through the telescope are meant to be converted from binary to ASCII, which reveals the input code. I had no idea; I was trying to press LT/RT in time with the pattern and must have just stumbled across it.

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2353 on: April 25, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »

That's how I did it.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2354 on: April 25, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »

Same for me. It's just hard to tell where it starts and ends and it differs from game to game.

I have other misfortunes: not being where the Xbox is to finish, and not being able to solve the telescope because of glare :/

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2355 on: May 16, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/arts/video-games/the-video-game-fez-is-complex-by-design.html?_r=1&smid=pl-share

Fez in NYTimes. lol.

"Most impenetrable game of them all". I think that's bullshit, but it's fairly high praise and the rest of the article I pretty much agree with. Good work and all that.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 20, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/arts/video-games/the-video-game-fez-is-complex-by-design.html?_r=1&smid=pl-share

Fez in NYTimes. lol.

"Most impenetrable game of them all". I think that's bullshit, but it's fairly high praise and the rest of the article I pretty much agree with. Good work and all that.

I thought the concept of a game getting coverage on the front page of the arts section in general was just neat.

play hydlide 2
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2357 on: May 20, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »

Yeah, it's nice that it isn't stuck in 'technology'

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2358 on: May 21, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »

found the sewer, its rocks Hand Metal Left Waaagh! Hand Metal Right

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 21, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »

I regret looking up hints to finding that alphabet so hard.

And I regret looking at a walkthrough to find out about the "Meta" portion of "Metatron" in the security question room.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 126
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic