Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:33:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage 1: Outer Wall (Cavestory)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage 1: Outer Wall (Cavestory)  (Read 32239 times)
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »

Good evening, my fellow TIGers!  Gentleman

I took the liberty of laying out the first stage for Indie Brawl: Quotes home stage, the Outer Wall. I'm not overly experienced in level designing so any suggestions and feedback is welcomed!

The level itself is very basic and features no interactivity with the player, allthough I think it would be a nice gimmick to utilize some sort of parallax scrolling (the three layers of clouds could move at different speeds).

I didn't want to cram too much into the stage to leave enough space for the actual fighting. The visual style should resemble the original quite a bit, allthough I don't want to just plainly rip the tiles, which is why I decided to redraw them, but with the same color sheme as in the original (and of course a similar structure).

The semi-transparent lines is where connectin decoration will go - it doesn't influence the actual game flow.

So, any thoughts?

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:17:23 AM »

the platforms should have tiled texture blocks to make it look a little big more cleaner.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »

the platforms should have tiled texture blocks to make it look a little big more cleaner.

Uh, this is just the basic layout. There are no tiles yet - it's just supposed to show where the plattforms will be positioned to eliminate level flaws before pixeling out everything...

Clemens Scott
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »

I think the one-tile tall sections of wall should be one-way platforms. And maybe you should get rid of the small wall at the right-central part of the screen. If the Outer Wall has any distinguishing features, it should be that one side of the stage is much safer than the other.

By the way, there's no formal list of stages, yet. The ones in my post in the stages thread are just suggestions. But I do thing this would be an excellent first stage.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »

Yeah, I thought the Outer Wall would be a sure shot, so I just went for it. Wink

I think the one-tile tall sections of wall should be one-way platforms.

I don't know if I understand that correctly - one-way as in only being able to walk to -let's say- the left? Why that?

I agree on the small tile though...

Clemens Scott
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »

I think he meant "one way" as in "you can pass through from below, but you can't drop down from the top"  Gentleman
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »

One-way as in, you can jump up through them (and fall through them if you hold 'down'), instead of hitting your head against them. Like the platforms in the test level.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 01:43:08 PM »

Ah, yeah, of course - silly me!  Embarrassed
Yeah, it was actually planned with that in mind. Wink

[EDIT]

Ok, to clear things up a little more, here a version with CaveStorys original tiles and a few little changes to the layout:

Black parts are just deco - no plattforms or walls. Wink

[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:52:33 PM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »

it's great but the black parts are very confusing.  in general, i think you're going to indicate that things are "background" if you push their shades closer to the background or sky color.  it's a lot easier to read that way.  but it looks great!

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:40:52 PM »

Ah, that's it! The black parts look a bit irritating to me right now too.
But what do you say? Should the original tiles be used or should I repaint them in a stylized version?
I don't know if there will be a big difference, but I'm also hesitant to just rip them. Also in that size with that style, there's hardly room for improvement in my opinion.
I was thinking of giving the clouds more volumne like in the first layer on the second screenshot, but I'm not even sure about that...
Any suggestions for visual design guidelines?

Clemens Scott
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 12:11:48 AM »

I definitely don't think we should rip any tiles/sprites. It makes it look amateurish. I think Quote looks a little out of place amidst the Cave Story tiles because he's got bigger blocks of colour and less detail. If I were you I would incorporate this into the style of the new stage design. For example the standard block tile might be better with only three or four colours and two or three chunks of rock in each tile.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »

Yeah, I thought so too - just wanted to get some reassurance. Might take a little while but should get done in the next couple of days... Gentleman

Clemens Scott
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 04:03:19 AM »

SUPERFLUOUS SUGGESTION:

We need a Float Cat occasionally dropping into the background.

That is all.

Please return to your regular viewing.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »

here. its a really really quick /ugly/dirty mock of how i thought these stage would look sorry kovski i sorta didnt adhere to your original map.
Saker
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »

cool and fits the style .. but i think kovski design is more challenging though
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »

Wow! Style-wise I like it a lot better than mine. Kiss

The only worries I have with it that now there is much less space for actual player movement (allthough the proportions fit much better to the size of the player sprites).. Maybe we can somehow blend our layouts...

Clemens Scott
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 01:10:06 PM »

I liked Kovski's better, in terms of playability.

Those are some sexy pixels though.  Shocked

Somehow... combining those graphics with Kovski's layout?  Undecided
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 01:54:09 PM »

well.. the problem with using actual "cave story' size tiles, is that quote in indie brawl is SIX TIMES bigger then cave story quote.

change the level however you want.. but if you want it to seem to scale with quotes world you have to really enlarge everything a LOT

having those REALLY skinny platforms is out of place in the cave story world because the smallest platform is as big as quote himself.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »

Yeah, you're right about the proportions. It will generally be quite a challenge to balance between proportional correctness and enough space to fight.

It would be a lot easier if the screen resolution was higher, but I don't know how much flexibility there is with resolutions. Let's see what Nightshade has to say about this issue...

Clemens Scott
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »

Wait, are we using maps the exact size of the screen, or am I just misunderstanding?
I always assumed that the map could be huge and the camera would follow.
Fixed camera kind of blows
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic