Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 11:11:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingUntitled Exploration/Action Platformer
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Untitled Exploration/Action Platformer  (Read 11925 times)
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »

Oh yes, mighty, mighty original idea you have there, Stephen.

Well sorry, it seems like a lot of people LIKE exploration platformer games, especially those wanks over at Tigs!

Well, you best tell us what the gimmick is as not to lose the interest of our readers

Yes, *ahem* well, the main character is an imp... mouse.. creature. He's really adorable, you might even hug your monitor!

The gimmick, hurry!

Right! Well, he can seperate his own ghost from his body! It's a really interesting game mechanic, you'll see.

Sounds boring

Well, that's just your opinion.

Tell me more.

Yeah, so... well, the little unnamed mouse guy is perfectly safe while his ghost resides inside his flesh, however, to navigate further into the game may require leaving your body behind, and we don't want any pesky crows snapping at it, so you have to keep an eye on it, or bad things will happen!

Sounds like a bitch

Well, r-type is a bitch, but it's still fun.

True. go on.

So while you're wandering around as a ghost there might be some baddies to dispose of, i'm intending on making quite a variety of enemies, if my interests holds.

Right, so, what's the goal?

Well, that is where the exploration genre kicks in... You basically just wander around an look at the pretty aesthetic stuff and enjoy the atmosphere.

Sorry i asked. We should probably post some screenshots now, I can see some people in the back already getting up and leaving.

Righty-o, well, here yah go.

That's it? that's pretty bland.

He has a cape, how is that not fucking awesome?

point taken.

Well, that's really all there is to show for now, let's see how this project unfolds.

20 bucks says you abandon it once you've worked out all the bugs in the engine and have to begin level design

Shut up.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 08:25:21 PM »

Well, you two guys can sort this out at your place Wink

Instead, why don't you show us more screenshots? And what kind of feedback are you looking for? How far is the development of this project? Can you show us something of that ghost mechanics? Give us more info about what will we do exactly in the game.

Later!

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:05:45 PM »

Well, that is where the exploration genre kicks in... You basically just wander around an look at the pretty aesthetic stuff and enjoy the atmosphere.

You might have a cool player sprites, but so far there is no pretty atmosphere! I want to see some screenshots that reflect this aspect of the game. It does sound like it will be pretty "pimp" though.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 09:19:34 PM »

Is this supposed to be 2 people talking or is it some sort of smeagol thing?

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:54:06 PM »

Damnit, nice. I love exploration platformers(the soul reason why I'm working on one myself).
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 03:16:42 AM »

Nice idea, hope you can show us more soon Smiley

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 03:58:40 AM »

I like the character a lot. You were right about the monitor hugging thing too (which is what I am currently doing right now Kiss). The idea sounds like it will be fun it it's done right, and isn't too hard.

Good luck, I hope your evil partner there doesn't win that twenty dollar bet.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »

Pixelly exploration platformer, you've got me interested. Looking forward to updates Smiley

Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 12:03:29 PM »

Well, i have some screenies, these depict a very simple encounter that requires the ghosting mechanic, keep in mind, this is _very_ primitive, the puzzles will be very much more in depth, and will most likely have a lot of baddies you have to ward off to get anything done. This will hopefully shed some light on the general concept.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/stwelin/one.png
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/stwelin/two.png
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/stwelin/three.png
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/stwelin/four.png

So there you have it, basic problem. Door we need to get through, well, our little mouseboy here cannot jump over that body of water, and, apparently, cannot swim. So he must leave his body behind and use the ghosts agility (see: double jump) to get to the trigger that will open the door. He can then go back and possess his body once more and advance past the room.

Most of the puzzles will be more complex than this, some even encompassing several rooms.

Development is going pretty well, and I got a lot done today. :D

Tell me what you think.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 12:08:19 PM »

Loving this so much. The backgrounds aren't completed in those screenshots, right? Well anyway, I love this whole idea, and the graphics look great. The concept is much simpler than I thought. I really hope you manage to complete the whole thing!  Smiley

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 12:32:43 PM »

Screen Shots look great! Grin The character reminds me of mighty mouse with that cape on.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »

Great :D  It couldn't hurt to distance yourself stylistically from Nifflas a tad more, just for the sake of convenience and avoiding comparisons, as well as banking on your sick pixel art skills a little more Smiley  The gameplay sounds really fun though, and there is a lot of room for a really awesome story here too, i think!

cup full of magic charisma
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 01:13:23 PM »

Ahhh yes, of course. Almost all the graphics in the screenshots are somewhat place-holder-y, I will put in actual effort once the engine is done, worry not.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 04:40:30 PM »

yup, knytt.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »

I'm not complaining, it's nice to have another game similar to Knytt.

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 04:51:38 PM »

I'm not so worried about it looking similar to Knytt, although I'm sure it will eventually distance itself anyways. As long as the gameplay is smooth and has a couple of decent elements thrown in, I'm sure it'll be fine to play.

Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »

yup, knytt.

Hey, yeah, i guess since there seems to be a little guy, and it's a platformer, it's a Knytt clone, eh? Oh, he climbs on walls? Wow, what a Knytt ripoff, hmmmmmm?

because a platformer with a wall-scaling character was unheard of before Knytt came along.

I'm done being an asshole now, I hope you are too! Smiley

[...] is smooth and has a couple of decent elements thrown in, I'm sure it'll be fine to play.

Yes, well, I plan on having A.) interactive NPCs, and B.) an actual element of action, (see: baddies, bosses)

In all seriousness, if i had started this project earlier this year, people would be sneering "Pft. Cavestory."
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 06:19:51 PM »

I must admit that my first reaction was to thik about Knytt... Perhaps it's the very small size of the game, perhaps a very minimalist look, or perhaps the wall jump...

The real question is: How will you make it so that we don't think Knytt when we'll play your game?

Anyway, the screenshots look interesting, but I'm a man who cares not about looks but rather how it plays. Give us something to play as soon as you can! Smiley That ghost thing looks quite interesting.

Later!

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »

yup, knytt.

Hey, yeah, i guess since there seems to be a little guy, and it's a platformer, it's a Knytt clone, eh? Oh, he climbs on walls? Wow, what a Knytt ripoff, hmmmmmm?

because a platformer with a wall-scaling character was unheard of before Knytt came along.

I'm done being an asshole now, I hope you are too! Smiley

[...] is smooth and has a couple of decent elements thrown in, I'm sure it'll be fine to play.

Yes, well, I plan on having A.) interactive NPCs, and B.) an actual element of action, (see: baddies, bosses)

In all seriousness, if i had started this project earlier this year, people would be sneering "Pft. Cavestory."

its not about gameplay or character.
its about aesthetics.
and you took your from Knytt.
its the same bloody thing.
cave story has a completely different look. completely.

you also happen to have a wall-scaling character.
you had to expect a bit of knytt comparisons.

it looks exactly like knytt.

and please dont give me the "it plays completely differently" because play does not a game make. thinking quality of visuals has nothing to do with the quality or success of a game is being naive.

and not talking about visual prowess, im talking about visual identity, visual creativity.

if you dont come up with a visual style that is your own, your game will just keeps being compared to knytt over and over again, and maybe even ignored for that.

that was me being an asshole.

Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 07:45:08 PM »

its not about gameplay or character.
its about aesthetics.
and you took your from Knytt.
its the same bloody thing.
cave story has a completely different look. completely.

[...]

it looks exactly like knytt.

[...]

and not talking about visual prowess, im talking about visual identity, visual creativity.

erm.  Roll Eyes

Ahhh yes, of course. Almost all the graphics in the screenshots are somewhat place-holder-y, I will put in actual effort once the engine is done, worry not.

So, you know, if you're going to compare just it's visual style, perhaps wait until i start doing the artwork that will actually be used in the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic