Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 08:12:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhile You Work
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: While You Work  (Read 32417 times)
Lichen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »

Does anyone do anything in particular while they work?
Like, put on the television or a film, or listen to music?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:57:47 AM by Lichen » Logged

ritualdumpster.carrd.co
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »

I constantly drink tea.

Jolli
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »

"stir that tea bitch" - rinku "paul eres" hero
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:41:30 AM »

page 1
page 2
This is a pretty interesting thing to concider (from animator's survival kit).

I'm usually listening to music and when I'm just doodling I tend to draw based on what's happening in the music, but I know that I probably shouldn't...

I AM FREE!
nickgravelyn
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:46:57 AM »

I listen to music constantly (not just while working; I almost always have my computer playing music while I'm home and I have an iPod when I'm out). I generally listen to classical type music when I really want to work as it keeps me calm (which is good for thinking straight). Today I've been listening to the Zelda Reorchestrated Soundtracks which are really good.
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »

I listen to music and drink cocoa most of the time. Also, sometimes while coding I have a speedrun playing next to my IDE.
nickgravelyn
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:38:50 PM »

I listen to music and drink cocoa most of the time. Also, sometimes while coding I have a speedrun playing next to my IDE.
Mmm cocoa. I need to go make some of that. Coffee
Elk
Level 1

エルク

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:43:49 PM »

I listen to music and turn off messengers

For business inquiries send me a forum PM! No Revenue-Share stuff without proper contract.
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:11:51 PM »

The trick is to watch bad tv-shows. Like reality tv. You'll feel much more productive.
Drew
Level 0

Hooray

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »

I listen to music when I'm doing something that doesn't require any brainpower.  It helps to give my brain something to do when I don't need it to be actively engaged.  It also distracts me from the fact that what I'm doing is boring.

Anything that requires concentration I have to do in silence, though.  I can't listen to music while I'm thinking through problems. 

My roommate puts old episodes of Stargate SG-1 on when he is doing his physics work.  He says that it's enough to stop him from going crazy, but it's not complex enough that he has to actually watch it.
TheDustin
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:20 PM »

Instrumental music is perfect background noise for working. I dig a variety of Jazz, Drone Doom, and Post-Rock stuff.
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »

Like someone mentioned, you can't watch really good things because you'll end up watching only that. If you love too many things, music is the best choice. I work best listening to just music.
Jolli
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 11:18:31 PM »

i allow distractions. its more fun. stop boring yourself like its a chore!!!
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 11:29:56 PM »

The trick is to watch bad tv-shows. Like reality tv. You'll feel much more productive.

Sometimes i watch Lifetime on the couch when I'm working at night from home.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »

Depends on what I'm doing.

Programming requires instrumental or electro music, like Air or Godspeed You Black Emperor.
When doing repetitive stuff like assets or levels, I usually watch bad or ordinary movies, stuff I don't really care about like b-action movies, sitcoms or romantic comedies!  Tongue
I also tend to have a DS not too far for when my brain hurts.

At real life work I usually listen to podcasts (1up, This American Life, A Life Well Wasted, etc.) or Revision3 shows.

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 12:22:23 AM »

page 1
page 2
This is a pretty interesting thing to concider (from animator's survival kit).

I'm usually listening to music and when I'm just doodling I tend to draw based on what's happening in the music, but I know that I probably shouldn't...

Coming from Milt Kahl via Richard Williams, I have a lot of respect for that advice-- but I don't really stick to it. For me, it comes down to mood. Sometimes music helps, sometimes it doesn't. I think we live in a different culture then Milt did, one where we grow up being used to distractions and multi-tasking. Sometimes, I can't concentrate with complete silence. I need a little going on in the background every once and a while.
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 03:36:01 AM »

I listen  to music mostly. What type of music depends on my mood and what I'm doing.
When I'm doing something art related that'll probably take a while I'll throw on an art video, like Gnomons Visual Storytelling videos. Helps keeping focus.

If I'm working on music or editing video I'll not do anything else (with the exception of having Firefox open on the second screen so I can browse forums and stuff).

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 04:00:16 AM »

For graphics work, I like to listen to music. I think it helps to be creative. For programming I like to have as little distraction as possible.

Per aspera ad astra
godsavant
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 08:48:17 AM »

When I'm pixelling r painting I like to listen to podcasts and such, just so there are people talking that I don't have to pay attention to...putting on music tends to get repetitive after a while, I like to listen to something I won't have to change every few minutes.
Kekskiller
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »

radio streams
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic