Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 02:12:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeRefining Your Vision For A Game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Refining Your Vision For A Game  (Read 5136 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »

I tend to first build a game in my mind until I think it works well enough there. After that I write things down and start refining issues I hadn't though in "brain mode". In this part I also tend to add more details into mechanics and write detailed descriptions about how game works. After that I start think it critically and polish it.  After sometime I tend to talka bout it to some of my friends and hear what they think about it and if they have any ideas or suggestions. Some more refining. Creating some to dos etc. and begin actual work.

The problem with this process for me seems to be that the preparations mode seems to drain some of the joy of the creation from me. Or more precisely, the stress I have to think everything before hand. Not a bad strait necessary, but I tend to often lose self-confidence to my idea, even after people have though it were good/fun.

Anyone else suffer from this?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 11:18:31 AM »

The problem with this process for me seems to be that the preparations mode seems to drain some of the joy of the creation from me. Or more precisely, the stress I have to think everything before hand. Not a bad strait necessary, but I tend to often lose self-confidence to my idea, even after people have though it were good/fun.

Then just start making the actual game earlier. The beauty of working with a digital medium is that you can change everything all the time so you have very little to lose.
dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »

Then just start making the actual game earlier. The beauty of working with a digital medium is that you can change everything all the time so you have very little to lose.

Ya, that makes sense.

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 09:49:57 AM »

I start with a one page design document outlining the game, platform, engine, and key features. If the overview doc makes sense, I'll write a page or two for each major feature so I can define how it is going to work.

I make quick sketch screenshots to help me know what I'm generally aiming for. I'll post a couple example ones when I get to my PC.

Ultimately, get the idea in your head first. Spend some time getting it down on paper, then start tearing into the meat of each feature. Force yourself to mock up what it'll look like, and add restrictions early on.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »

I had (have) a lot of ideas about what my game should be, but they don't amount to a whole lot. You should definitely have a vision in mind when making your game. You can theorycraft all you want, but in the end you aren't really going to know what will or won't work until you try, reassess, try, reassess, ad infinitum.
JoGribbs
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »

I am of the Less Talk, More Rock persuasion. Just start making stuff and see what comes of it. Preferably the actual game rather than just assets mind you. Even if it's only a prototype, you'll still get a good idea of what you'll need to do and how it all works.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:23:40 AM by Jogr » Logged
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »

I am of the Less Talk, More Rock persuasion. Just start making stuff and see what comes of it. Preferably the actual game rather than just assets mind you. Even if it's only a prototype, you'll still get a good idea of what you'll need to do and how it all works.

Thanks for reminding me of that link.  I love it and the philosophy behind it.  I spent so much time talking about the game I wanted to make and my friend got so sick of hearing about the game that I wanted to make, that he just started ignoring me and saying "Yeah, you'll have to try that and see how it goes."  Now, a short time later, I have a game that I'm not totally embarrassed, and honestly I could still be talking and planning to this day had I not just started.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »

I generally fail to plan details, so making games out of the broad plans that I do make never works.

Everything seems to come out of one idea, one prototype, that blossoms into something wondrous.
Jogr's link is  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »

As for me, I first try to explain the game to others. This is where flaws in my ideas begin to surface as I break the idea down to pieces for explaining. This is made more effective if the person I'm explaining it to asks a lot of questions and is interested with the idea.

This.  It's amazing how many holes show up in my ideas once I start trying to describe them to someone else.

Also, prototype early, and prototype often.  As in, I like to get a bare bones version of what you think the main "game experience" is up as fast as possible, so I can see if it is as cool as I envision.  If I think the main draw of the game is some neat gameplay, I write it so I can actually play it (and make others play it) and make sure it is as fun as I thought it was in my head.  If my main draw is a particularly clever story, I try to write it out in a google doc in advance, to make sure it makes sense, and then try describing it to other people.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic