Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 02:40:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames you can't remember the names of
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Games you can't remember the names of  (Read 386453 times)
Sean Raia
Level 0

Iterate!

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 07, 2012, 09:20:01 PM »

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this game.

It was on PS1, had an anime feel to it but im not quite sure if it was anime. It was a platformer in which you shot the hell out of people with this gun and one of the bosses consistently chanted "Smash Smash Smash!"

Wanna talk? I'm always looking to meet and network with other indies!
Shoot me an email at
[email protected]

http://seanraia.blog.com/
jamiebell
« Reply #861 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:40 PM »

Three 90s racing games I've always tried to remember!

1. First one was motor-bike based, and I remember it being pretty polygonal. The overall graphics were pretty dark and I remember there was a lot of vertical exploration. May not have even been a racing game, but some sort of open-world thing?

2. A more classic racing game, and I can't really think of anything particularly worthwhile so I probably won't get much here. Well, now that I type this out I realize I don't remember anything other than what a level looked like, so I probably should just scratch this one!

3. A 3d racing game where you could pick what vehicle you drove. Had split-screen multiplayer and I remember it being pretty cartoony, with weird goofy characters perhaps? I remember there being dirt that flew up and also the title screen had a really scratchy and weird font!

Thanks! :D
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #862 on: August 08, 2012, 01:46:06 AM »

EDIT: SOLVED! It's Con-Quest, thankyou to the legendary Ichigo Jam for finding this one.

Been searching for this one for over a decade. Tried several places, and gotten several fantastic suggestions, but never found it.

Platform: Probably C64

Details:

2.5D. Room-based.

I *think* the doors were coloured, and matching-coloured keys opened them. Sometimes the doors were just openings, I think, and you could go through these freely.

You, and the enemies, were all about standard C64 sprite size, I think, and probably single-colour. I can't remember *at* *all* what the main character looked like.

One enemy was a snake, but they may have been called serpents. I believe they were green. Unlike other enemies, touching a snake/serpent meant you were poisoned, and slowly lost your health over time. It was basically a death sentence if you touched one, once, if I recall correctly. There were other enemies, they just did normal damage.

You could collect items, possibly about five. One item was a talisman or an amulet I think. It was vaguely circular, I think. It protected you from the snake/serpent poison, so the snakes/serpents only did a little damage, but no poison effect. If you got poisoned, then got the talisman/amulet, it didn't help you, the poison still drained your health. Most or all of the time poison would kill you eventually, so the amulet was very valuable. Keys were probably also items, and were probably used up opening a door. It is possible that the other items you could collect included weapons, with certain weapons affecting certain creatures differently. For some reason, I think of fire and water elementals, but I'm not sure about that.

It isn't "Atic Atac", but very, very similar in style.

To anyone who solves this, I will personally follow you around the TIGForums, singing your praises Sir-Robin-style. But be warned, over the years I've put this one in front of what must be hundreds or thousands of people, and nobody has been able to solve it.

EDIT: To give a frame of reference, it's probably over 20 years old now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:35:16 AM by Garthy » Logged
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 08, 2012, 05:01:51 AM »

Been searching for this one for over a decade. Tried several places, and gotten several fantastic suggestions, but never found it.

The description of the poison makes me think this is very likely to be Con-Quest?
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #864 on: August 08, 2012, 05:21:27 AM »

Platform: Probably C64

Details:

2.5D. Room-based.

I *think* the doors were coloured, and matching-coloured keys opened them. Sometimes the doors were just openings, I think, and you could go through these freely.

You, and the enemies, were all about standard C64 sprite size, I think, and probably single-colour. I can't remember *at* *all* what the main character looked like.

One enemy was a snake, but they may have been called serpents. I believe they were green. Unlike other enemies, touching a snake/serpent meant you were poisoned, and slowly lost your health over time. It was basically a death sentence if you touched one, once, if I recall correctly. There were other enemies, they just did normal damage.

You could collect items, possibly about five. One item was a talisman or an amulet I think. It was vaguely circular, I think. It protected you from the snake/serpent poison, so the snakes/serpents only did a little damage, but no poison effect. If you got poisoned, then got the talisman/amulet, it didn't help you, the poison still drained your health. Most or all of the time poison would kill you eventually, so the amulet was very valuable. Keys were probably also items, and were probably used up opening a door. It is possible that the other items you could collect included weapons, with certain weapons affecting certain creatures differently. For some reason, I think of fire and water elementals, but I'm not sure about that.

It isn't "Atic Atac", but very, very similar in style.

To anyone who solves this, I will personally follow you around the TIGForums, singing your praises Sir-Robin-style. But be warned, over the years I've put this one in front of what must be hundreds or thousands of people, and nobody has been able to solve it.

EDIT: To give a frame of reference, it's probably over 20 years old now.

Wizard's Lair mayhaps? http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=8660&d=18&h=0

Hell, that is the worst message editor of all time. Constantly the scrollbar is jumping up when typing.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: August 08, 2012, 05:33:53 AM »

The description of the poison makes me think this is very likely to be Con-Quest?

OH.
MY.
GOD.

My jaw has been hanging open for the last few minutes now. I think I'm actually going into shock. The blood has drained from my face.

I am not exaggerating when I said that I have been searching for over a decade for this one. I have been trying to track this down for SO long.

I am almost certain that this is it. I remember that weird health guage on the bottom right too. And the chest-like things in the middle and off to the side. And I recognised the snake/serpent instantly. It's sitting there, looking at me, saying "I bet you thought you'd never find me, didn't you?"

When the shock has worn off, I am going to have to work on my minstrelsy.

In any case: THANKYOU SO MUCH.

Endurion: Thanks for the suggestion, but I think Ichigo Jam just nailed it.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #866 on: August 08, 2012, 06:36:22 AM »

As promised...

*sings*

Nobly wise Ichigo Jam, posted forth on the TIG forums.
He was not afraid to post, O wise Ichigo Jam!
He was not at all ashamed to post in the forums,
Wise, wise, wise, wise Ichigo Jam!

He was not in the least bit ashamed to post in any way,
Whether in Feedback threads, or in the DevLogs,
A kind word here and there, feedback for all,
He wisely posts away all day without a break.
Wise, wise, Ichigo Jam!

He posts twenty six hours a day, and never rests,
Trials ten games at a time and his posts are the best,
His presence even saves threads from the drome,
Though he's never even posted there.
Wise, wise, Ichigo Jam!

Names games unheard of in twenty years at the drop of a hat,
A man loved by all, especially the mods,
A man of infinite knowledge, and a charming guise.
He even shoots lasers from his eyes.
Wise, wise, Ichigo Jam!
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: August 08, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »

1. First one was motor-bike based, and I remember it being pretty polygonal. The overall graphics were pretty dark and I remember there was a lot of vertical exploration. May not have even been a racing game, but some sort of open-world thing?

2. A more classic racing game, and I can't really think of anything particularly worthwhile so I probably won't get much here. Well, now that I type this out I realize I don't remember anything other than what a level looked like, so I probably should just scratch this one!

3. A 3d racing game where you could pick what vehicle you drove. Had split-screen multiplayer and I remember it being pretty cartoony, with weird goofy characters perhaps? I remember there being dirt that flew up and also the title screen had a really scratchy and weird font!

The first one sounds like Motocross Madness 1 or 2. Was it on the PC?

The third might be Re-Volt.

biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 10, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »

The third could also be Motor Mash (see

).

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #869 on: August 11, 2012, 12:17:07 AM »

I am not exaggerating when I said that I have been searching for over a decade for this one. I have been trying to track this down for SO long.

I feel so much vicarious satisfaction when this happens. Hand Clap
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #870 on: August 11, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »

I feel so much vicarious satisfaction when this happens. Hand Clap

There's plenty of spare satisfaction here, you're more than welcome to share a healthy slice of it. Smiley

It's hard to describe the feeling of finally finding something that you have been trying, unsuccessfully, to locate for so long. "Closure" would be a good start though. Smiley

Strangely, much of what I remembered about it was actually accurate, although the bit about using up keys was outright wrong- keys are unlimited use. Ironically, when I couldn't remember if there was a talisman or amulet in the game, there was a good reason for that- there are *both* amulets and talismans in the game!

Honestly, it actually isn't that great a game, and got a fairly cold reception from reviewers. I think this made it all that much harder to find. I've tracked down other games before, and generally the less well received the game, the harder it is to find. People don't usually talk much about 25-year old games that fell well short of the "classic" mark. Not that I knew all of this until recently, all I had were some vague memories and knowledge of certain game mechanics and a desire to find that game behind them. Smiley

With Con-Quest I just couldn't find it on my own. I'd dug through screenshots of old games, I'd tried various combinations of Google searches, and I'd simply failed to find it. I've asked all sorts of different people over the years. It was basically down to someone else happening to remember this obscure little game that I had remembered from when I was younger.

And then I posted, and Ichigo Jam happened to be reading at the right time... SmileySmileySmileySmiley
impulse9
« Reply #871 on: August 12, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »

I can't remember the name of this one, it's driving me nuts. Ninja

Here's what I can remember:
- it was a DOS game but it's possible it originated from some other system
- it was top down and 2D (dyna blaster-like perspective, but with better graphics)
- it was fairly lowres but the graphics were cute, the atmosphere was kind of dark and colors ranged in shades of gray and blue. The backgrounds mostly consisted of simple square tiles.
- you could pick up things (ammo, health, weapons) and you could shoot at opponents
- the game featured a 2 player mode where the screen was split in half and two players could play against AI cooperatively (and/or possibly against each other) on a single PC/keyboard

A friend I used to play it with said it's called "Fox" or something like that, but searching for it I didn't find anything like it.

It's really been a long time since I played and the memory of it is foggy it but I would love to play it again.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: August 12, 2012, 11:55:05 PM »

Is it C-Dogs?

http://db.tigsource.com/games/c-dogs
impulse9
« Reply #873 on: August 13, 2012, 04:47:39 AM »

OMG yes that is it!

I've been looking for this for ages! First I wasn't completely sure but then I checked out a video of it and I remembered the gun sounds instantly. Grin Thank you so much Derek!

Edit: after researching it I'm now 100% sure that the game I used to play is called Cyberdogs, which is apparently a prequel to C-Dogs:

Playing it brings back so many memories. Grin

*nostalgia overload*

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:05:04 AM by impulse9 » Logged
Moczan
« Reply #874 on: August 13, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »

A game for (probably) SNES where you had a pinocchio-like boy who you couldn't control directly but had to teach him using praise and punishment. One of the first 'quests' involved working on the farm, where your 'son' had not kick the dog and do some simple task. Anybody has any clues?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: August 13, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

Wonder Project J

http://hardcoregaming101.net/wonderproject/wpj1.htm

OMG yes that is it!

Beer!
Panda Claws
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 26, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »

So there is this old game that I can't remember the name of, but would love to play again.

* Background: I played it at home and I still remember quite a bit of the gameplay.
* System: Windows or Dos
* Year: Probably around 1998-2003
* Perspective: 2D Platformer
* Art style: I seem to remember that it looked drawn and that the characters were pretty screen-filling. (I mean that they were pretty big drawn if you know what I mean.)
* Environment: The first level was a pirate ship that had a captain as a boss. (I thought he resembled captain hook but I am not sure.) You also had a level with Robin Hood as a boss (or someone who looked like him it was pretty weird.) Other levels included an arabian nights styled castle and a giant beanstake. I also remember wolves that could breath fireballs and stood on their two back legs. Another boss I remember was some sort of queen that levitated in the air and waved kisses at you. That became hearts and were used as projectiles. The player character had two antennas on his head. (Male) There was also an underwater level.
* Mood: I do not quite remember.
* Genre: 2D Platformer. Might have contained small RPG elements but I was too little back then to be sure.
* Gameplay: 2D Platformer again but I do seem to remember that you could open a small inventory and take out items like a watch that slowed time. (Not sure)
Moczan
« Reply #877 on: August 26, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »

YES YES, that's definitely it! I have to replay it to see if it's as amazing as I remember it
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: August 26, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »

Dirt Trax FX
Street Racer (probably)
Stunt Race FX

pixhead
« Reply #879 on: August 26, 2012, 05:12:32 PM »

Been searching for this one for a while. I used to have an account but I stopped playing after everyone ganged up on me and killed me.

- The game was an RTS, futuristic setting, top-down

- Each match took a VERY long time. It could take a couple hours for you to go from one planet to another.

- You could PM the other players and I think you could make alliances and stuff.

- Free and browser-based

One last note, the developers also made another game, I think it was a card game but I'm not sure. Hopefully that narrows it down even more.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:35:43 PM by pixhead » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic