Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 03:34:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallJewel Miner - Play Now on Kongregate!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jewel Miner - Play Now on Kongregate!  (Read 872 times)
cow_trix
Level 0

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:21 AM »

Hey guys! I've just finished a little puzzle game called Jewel Miner on Kongregate. It's made with the fantastic HTML5 engine Construct 2, and is completely made from HTML5. Everything's done by me. If you have the time, have a play and try and beat the high score! Although it's pretty darn big - I might be about to break the Kongregate high score system. Any criticism's are more than welcome  Smiley

I make games and you should play them.

Dritch - Voxel SciFi Adventure | voxul - Unity Voxel Framework
reallyjoel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »

This doesn't remind me of Tetris Attack like Bejewled does, therefore I like it better.
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 06:49:47 AM »

I have mixed feelings.

On one hand it feels very nice to me and I dind't dislike playing it. On the other it has many unfun things like the bomb, row, column (breaks the mood of clicking on groups of same objects) and the turns limit. I hate to say, buy all the original things you tried to introduce to the genre were unfun to me Sad I would have enjoyed it more if it was more "boring" and standard featured. And checking the average rating I suspect most players feel similar way...

The scoring is broken, I got 350 million points using trivial algorithm (do not try to score any points during first 19 turns, just build one big chunk of one colour and the score it on the last turn).

I hate to give a feedback like this, especially since the game is well made. Personally, I don't know how to make it better (apart from making it standard connect-colours-game, which is not a good suggestion at all).

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
cow_trix
Level 0

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »

Quote from: reallyjoel
This doesn't remind me of Tetris Attack like Bejewled does, therefore I like it better.

Thanks! Glad you liked it.  Smiley

I have mixed feelings.

On one hand it feels very nice to me and I dind't dislike playing it. On the other it has many unfun things like the bomb, row, column (breaks the mood of clicking on groups of same objects) and the turns limit. I hate to say, buy all the original things you tried to introduce to the genre were unfun to me Sad I would have enjoyed it more if it was more "boring" and standard featured. And checking the average rating I suspect most players feel similar way...

The scoring is broken, I got 350 million points using trivial algorithm (do not try to score any points during first 19 turns, just build one big chunk of one colour and the score it on the last turn).

I hate to give a feedback like this, especially since the game is well made. Personally, I don't know how to make it better (apart from making it standard connect-colours-game, which is not a good suggestion at all).

Hey Archibald! Don't feel bad about giving criticisms, it's what I asked for, and I can only learn from my mistakes when I know what they are  Smiley. I definitely agree with you that the scoring is broken - I didn't really anticipate what the maximum scores would be. Then again, perhaps just the scaling is wrong, as scores increase exponentially the better you do. The algorithm you described is actually the kind of way I wanted people to play, having to make strategic sacrifices of turns to get a bigger score the next turn - but perhaps the balancing is wrong. The unfortunate side-effect of having a high-score table is I might annoy some people if I changed the scoring and cleared the table, getting rid of their hard work. So I guess the scoring has to stay! As for the powerups, during playtesting I did kind of realise nobody used them - but I thought they might be useful for higher level play, and adds an element of 'unclickable' coloured blocks which I thought added to the strategy of the game without cheaating the player.

I make games and you should play them.

Dritch - Voxel SciFi Adventure | voxul - Unity Voxel Framework
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic