Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:56:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCaster Released for Mac and PC!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Caster Released for Mac and PC!  (Read 4341 times)
elecorn
Level 0

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »

Here it is ya'll!

At long last the game that has consumed my free time for the past 5 years has been unleashed to the world!

If you enjoy Fast Action, Pulse Pounding Music, and Massive Terrain Destruction (and Creation!);  If you love Trees and hate Large Laser Firing Bugs;  If you need a Power Trip fix;  If you love Sweet Graphics with Glowy Effect and lots of Explosions; If you want a Polished Game Play exerience;  You are in for a real treat.

I present you with Caster.

Have fun playing!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:00:30 AM by elecorn » Logged

Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »

Kind of looks like Strafing: The Game, but I'll try it out. Terrain deformations is always fun.  Grin

EDIT: This is actually really fun. It's still got a few bugs, and my video driver crashed once, but that was probably cause I set all the settings to max. I might just buy this. Nice work.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:14:22 PM by Lord Tim » Logged
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »

WOW!! It seems really cool  Shocked I'm downloading the demo and maybe I've found a way to spend 10 bucks  Beer!Hand Shake Right
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:54:46 PM »

Your logo looks like "Easter"
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:26:10 AM »

downloading.

increpare
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:51:20 AM »

Quite entertaining.  Haven't played for too long yet, so can't say I've really gotten a grip on the larger-scale aspects of the game.

I know this isn't the feedback thread, but my thoughts:

One thing that initially annoyed me was the fact that I couldn't shoot straight down (when I was jumping trying to get away from those friggin annoying tiny critters heh (I think, in terms of difficulty curve, it might have been nicer to introduce some easier-to-hit enemies first, especially when those guys get *much* easier to kill once you've upgraded your weapon to fire at a decent rate).  I've sort of gotten used to that now.

Graphics look fine (running osx on oldish macbook).  No glitches that I could see.  I think people generally find it comforting to be told this (I know that I do).

It can be a bit annoying when the trees block my view.  Some alpha-ing out of such trees, or tactical camera positioning, might be good.

I think the focus change when you 'boost' (whatever you call it when you press shift) would be better linked up to uses of the ability rather than just presses of the key.

(the running animation looks a bit funny/manic initially, but I sort of got used to it after a while...)

Hmm...more if I get a chance to play it later...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:54:32 AM by increpare » Logged
elecorn
Level 0

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »

Awesome increpare, thanks for the feedback!

I will use it to make changes for when Chapter 2 comes out.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:33:18 AM »

This game is awesome. Really well presented, slick UI and stuff. I love how full-on the whole thing is. Great work. The art is a little lacking but I think that gives the game a lot of charm, I like it this way.

J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:54:49 AM »

Also gave it a quick go, just to have a look!

I did enjoy it, and I think the GUI is pretty professional, but I'm not too into the game graphics themselves. The critters are nice, but the main character might use some more polygons and some more texturing maybe?

The fact that you can't look directly up kind of annoyed me in the canyon level though. And man, the thing gets a little frantic when loads of enemies are shooting at you! I guess the only tactics there is run run jump JUMP run run Smiley

From the little I played, I enjoyed the progression. Those little critters running away were a bit annoying, like increpare said, since the rate of fire is so slow. Maybe they could be one or two hit kills in the first or second levels?

Other than that, congratulations on maintaining your enthusiasm for the game so long and finally releasing it! Good job!!! Smiley

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »

One thing I found annoying was looking down to shoot - if the small enemies kind of bounced off you after hitting you instead of sticking to you, that would give you a chance to shoot them. It's a bit frantic as it is, and in a bad way rather than a good one. Also instead of running away for so long, it would be good if they strafed a bit, as it's a bit easy otherwise.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »

Oh ya, and it crashed every time I touched the white  ball in the demo (macbook pro, OSX 10.5, 2.6 GHz)
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »

pretty good game.  Smiley

i have one question:
in the 4th level or so whre you run over the water theres one orb to collect under the water.
i havent found out how to dive...and therefore the game ended there cause i couldnt get the orb.

(btw my gamepad doesnt function. even in the options menu i cannot configure it.
i have a logitech rumblepad 2...
anyone else experienced that or does only my gamepad not work with this game?)

moreover i find also when you ran out of health...the death animation is too long.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:51:17 PM »

in the 4th level or so whre you run over the water theres one orb to collect under the water.
i havent found out how to dive...and therefore the game ended there cause i couldnt get the orb.

You have to use your new power to raise the ground below the orbs.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »

You have to use your new power to raise the ground below the orbs.
thanks Smiley

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
elecorn
Level 0

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:09:06 AM »

Oh ya, and it crashed every time I touched the white  ball in the demo (macbook pro, OSX 10.5, 2.6 GHz)

Argh!  If it happened while you touched the orb, it looks like it might be an audio engine bug.  I'm assuming that this is a glowing orb with an animated texture on it?  I'll try and take a look at it to see what I find, but collecting orbs happens a lot in the game and the crash it a rare case.. hey, the other thing you could do is to try and update the irrKlang run time sound library.

You can download his latest audio library from here:

http://www.ambiera.com/irrklang/downloads.html

He mentioned having some fixes in it for Mac, but it was too close to release so I didn't include it in the final version of Caster.  It will be added in future chapters (assuming it's more stable).

Thanks for the feedback!

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »

It was the solid orb that you're supposed to hit in the first level
elecorn
Level 0

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 02:17:14 AM »

It was the solid orb that you're supposed to hit in the first level

Good to know.  Yeah, it's still probably an audio bug.  Not sure why it's only happening on some Mac systems.  I usually have more problems with PCs since Macs usually have pretty much the same type of hardware.

A work around you can try is NOT pickup up that orb (since it's actually not essential because you already own that power) if you want to continue with the game.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 02:42:36 PM »

You know, I'm trying to replicate the glitch and grab the error log for you but it isn't happening this time. I have speakers and a mouse plugged in this time though, so maybe that might have something to do with it?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 04:37:06 AM »

The price seems to be lowered to $5. Was it not selling at $10? This seems to be very undervalued if $5 is its normal price.

I seemed to have missed this game when it was first announced here, and only heard of it in this month's Game Tunnel monthly round-up.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 05:58:48 AM »

I just wrote this entry in reaction to the post about his game on tigsource (the one that got into prop 8 and such):

http://rinku.livejournal.com/1585485.html

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic