Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 02:01:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNMcCoy.net Weekly Games [#44: One Year]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NMcCoy.net Weekly Games [#44: One Year]  (Read 1683 times)
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:01:19 PM »

Who, Me? WALL OF GAMES!  Big Laff

So I should probably get back into posting stuff here. Feedback here or at my site, and rating (on my blog posts) would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:53:28 PM by NMcCoy » Logged

Dragondot 2 is out now! Go get it!
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »

Game 40: Violent Antipathy

You ever have one of those times when you have a dozen different ideas for a game, and depending on how you count it you either have enough parts for three games or enough of a design for half of a game? Yeah, this was kinda like that. The design of this game went through phases of "Bombliss ripoff", "Mr. Driller ripoff", "Ikaruga ripoff", "Ikaruga + Bombliss + Pong disaster", and finally settled down on something no more egregious than loosely borrowing a game mechanic from TUMIKI Fighters.

As to the music, I was experimenting with different sounds in Famitracker and ended up with something that sounded oddly like a scanner or printer's stepper motor.

jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »

I liked it!  It was really simple and challenging and the same time.  I didn't know that I could blow up my own ball, heh Smiley

It'd probably be more fun with an online high score type of deal.

In any case, I liked it.  I look forward to your other games!

NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »

Okay, this game is pretty much a straight ripoff of/love letter to the Zelda series, in a procedurally generated world, made out of rectangles. The title that I was given was "Circus Peanuts"; the theme that Ludum Dare gave me was "Discovery". It was in a playable but rather empty state by the submission deadline. I kept working on the version I posted on my website, improving and adding more music, implementing new attacks and enemies, and hiding a few secrets in the world-generation engine. It's  still not as finished as I'd like; I want to put in more bosses and terrain, and will probably release a "Director's Cut" at some point with those added. But for now, Enjoy!

Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 03:24:48 AM »

Merry Xmas, fellow WeeklyCoder!

Glad you're still wrestling away, and that I'm not the only complete moron who's tackling all this :D

(I was going to put Weeker, but it looked a lot like a word that may be misread!)

I write AGameAWeek, and I've got over 350 games to prove it!!
---
Load, Next List
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »

I've been in kind of an emotionally rough place lately. The strangeness of this game may or may not be related to that fact. The music has some brief allusions to songs from others of my games, mostly because I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention when I was making it. Undecided

NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 12:18:03 AM »

How's this for a change of pace? Figured I ought to give some less-considered indie game genres some consideration...  Wink

NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

Not one of my best, but pretty solid, if a bit unpolished. I find puzzle games a difficult genre to really innovate in, so I'm eager to find out what people think of this one.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic