Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411626 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 10:01:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTracks 'n Wheels
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tracks 'n Wheels  (Read 1112 times)
Jyri Kilpeläinen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:54:34 AM »

Tracks 'n Wheels is a Facebook racing game where you can build your own tracks and share them with others. The racing itself uses physics engine. We built the game with my work colleague. The game went online in December 2010.

Link to game: http://apps.facebook.com/tracksnwheels/
Link to game's website: http://www.tracksnwheels.com/

Feedback is highly appreciated! :-)

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:16:53 AM »

Giving it a go now, will report back shortly.

Edit:

- The cars feel very slippery. More like hoverboats than cars.

- You should check for completeness of tracks, currently there are a few tracks with large areas that are offroad.

- The shadow effect is a nice idea! However, it seems to move further and further away from the car the longer you race. After a few laps on a longer course i began to think that it was a ghost car instead of a shadow.

- The amount of experience you get from a track should either be:
  a) Based on the overall length of the track, or
  b) Based on a "Difficulty" rating, chosen by players. Much like the current rating system.
  c) Either of the above, and then how fast the player completed the track based on that.
The reason i say this is that at the moment, there is nothing stopping me from driving round a very short circular course over and over again to get level ups.

- It seems to take a long time to get money. Maybe make the cars a bit more expensive, but give the player more money per race?

- Ouch! The track parts are too expensive. 250 would be enough!

- Reaching level 3 was a nice surprise, it crept up on me!

- The car sounds could use a little work. It's a bit of a drone at the moment. Also, the sound doesn't let you know that your car is being slowed by driving on grass.

- You should let the player know where their car is when under a bridge, for example an outline of their car. The skid effect also appears above the object you are under, so you may want to fix that.

- I think that there should be more of a penalty to speed for going off the track. If there is a checkpoint i want to get to i can usually just drive straight towards it, and it will be faster than if i went round the track. This isn't solely your fault, it is also the fault of the track designer, but i believe this is a step you could take to alleviate this issue.
(I just realised, i do this all the time if it's possible.)

- Let the player create an avatar, instead of using their profile picture. Most of the time the picture is badly stretched, and many people do not like app's using their picture.

- The leaderboard is really messed up. Someone who has played 3 races at level 1 with 180xp is #1, and someone who hasn't even played the game is #2.

This has been mostly a critique post, but i will say that this game has alot of potential, it's unlike anything else i have played on Facebook before. Great work!

Small edit: I think this should be in Feedback.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:12:17 AM by Nugsy » Logged

Jyri Kilpeläinen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:59:11 AM »

Nugsy, first of all: THANK YOU for a very thorough feedback. Here's some comments:

Giving it a go now, will report back shortly.

Edit:

- The cars feel very slippery. More like hoverboats than cars.

This depends on various aspects, such as the car, terrain etc. Some players have reported the opposite: too slow and hard to turn. What car were you driving? But maybe we should rethink some of the car driving mechanics...

- You should check for completeness of tracks, currently there are a few tracks with large areas that are offroad.

A nice idea. We need to think a way how this would work with a tile-based track builder without limiting users too much.

- The shadow effect is a nice idea! However, it seems to move further and further away from the car the longer you race. After a few laps on a longer course i began to think that it was a ghost car instead of a shadow.

Ok, haven't noticed that. *adding to the bug list*

- The amount of experience you get from a track should either be:
  a) Based on the overall length of the track, or
  b) Based on a "Difficulty" rating, chosen by players. Much like the current rating system.
  c) Either of the above, and then how fast the player completed the track based on that.
The reason i say this is that at the moment, there is nothing stopping me from driving round a very short circular course over and over again to get level ups.

I agree and this is something that's changing in the future.

- It seems to take a long time to get money. Maybe make the cars a bit more expensive, but give the player more money per race?

Yeah, the exp and money levels could use some balancing.

- Ouch! The track parts are too expensive. 250 would be enough!

This too...

- The car sounds could use a little work. It's a bit of a drone at the moment. Also, the sound doesn't let you know that your car is being slowed by driving on grass.

Sound design was unfortunately left to the last minute and it really does need some tweaking.

- You should let the player know where their car is when under a bridge, for example an outline of their car. The skid effect also appears above the object you are under, so you may want to fix that.

Bridge thing: Coming soon
Skid effect: Added to bug list

- I think that there should be more of a penalty to speed for going off the track. If there is a checkpoint i want to get to i can usually just drive straight towards it, and it will be faster than if i went round the track. This isn't solely your fault, it is also the fault of the track designer, but i believe this is a step you could take to alleviate this issue.
(I just realised, i do this all the time if it's possible.)

This is one of the drawbacks of giving players the ability to create any kind of track. Restrict this too much and players complain that the editor is too limited. Well, maybe there's the golden mean somewhere for us to find... :-)

- Let the player create an avatar, instead of using their profile picture. Most of the time the picture is badly stretched, and many people do not like app's using their picture.

Good idea!

- The leaderboard is really messed up. Someone who has played 3 races at level 1 with 180xp is #1, and someone who hasn't even played the game is #2.

It's a sorting bug *added to the buglist*

This has been mostly a critique post, but i will say that this game has alot of potential, it's unlike anything else i have played on Facebook before. Great work!

Thank you for giving such honest and thorough feedback!
There really doesn't seem to be that many racing games on FB where you can actually drive. Well, at least we haven't found them...

Small edit: I think this should be in Feedback.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. Maybe some of the admins can move this?
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:26:28 AM »

Thankyou for your feedback on my feedback! Haha. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Melly is probably lurking around somewhere, i'm sure he'll move the thread for you.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic