Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 12:46:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhalli find no love in this passionless life
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: i find no love in this passionless life  (Read 7174 times)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »

Hideous, dude, sorry to hear you died.

My deepest sympathies, Chris.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »

That was the best video game writing the world has seen since Zero Wing.

valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »

This absolutely nailed everything I hate about "art games."

At least something got shot.  Most art games don't even have that.
ink.inc
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »

if you reload the game after you beat it you still get the corpse, that was funny

That's cool.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »

I think this is actually the best game made by somebody that's dead I've ever played.  Well, maybe second best.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 01:47:48 PM »

When the game started and it said "Left + Right", i took it that meant i had to mash left, right, left, right, left, right to get the game to start.

At the end, when the corpse was on the floor, i sat mashing left and right for about a minute before i realised nothing else was going to happen. Cheesy

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »

if you reload the game after you beat it you still get the corpse, that was funny
ripoff of that other guy who does gimmick flash games?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 07:40:38 PM »

perhaps we should say it was the application of an earlier innovation in the art game genre

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »

Hm

Well after playing this I was going to send this to someone and say "look, the new height of self-parody in art games!"

However somehow it seems like this does not work as well as actual-parody as it does as self-parody. The problem is there are two or three very small ideas in this that would be legitimately decent in an art game, they are just not harnessed toward anything. You are sending mixed signals!

Too many art games end with the main character dying / killing themselves / ceasing to exist. Congratulations on needling that, I suppose?

One problem is that since we are all sort of farming the same space here eventually we will run out of new territory to cover. There are probably a finite number of 16x16 character sprites, 2d tile-based platform levels, and minimalist story arcs. I have a file full of "creative" platformer gimmicks on my computer that I want to try out someday and I am vaguely terrified 3 or 4 other people will get around to implementing each one before I do

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 10:41:56 AM »

I have a file full of "creative" platformer gimmicks on my computer that I want to try out someday and I am vaguely terrified 3 or 4 other people will get around to implementing each one before I do

so i'm not the only one.

this school blocks kongregate but i'll give this a shot later. hopefully the 'art game' genre will reach a saturation point of sorts, which will result in the post-art game (as post-punk was to punk), if you will.

cosec
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »

Why all the hate? I thought this game had some interesting points. For example the slow music and slow walk speed really kind of mires you in the game atmosphere. I think it was done rather well.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »

When love is gone, nothing remains:(

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »

I actually thought the game was a lot more interesting than a lot of other platformers Ive played.  I liked that the level design mimicked the writing.  The ending was way too heavy handed and forced.  The writing was drawn out and repetitive.  But it was actually a fun little doodle of a game to play.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 05:44:22 AM »

I have a file full of "creative" platformer gimmicks on my computer that I want to try out someday and I am vaguely terrified 3 or 4 other people will get around to implementing each one before I do

so i'm not the only one.

Or you could--you know--make something other than a platformer.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »

It won't let me play lol.

hi
Seth
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »

Still not sure if this is supposed to be a parody or a serious game (and just because Hideous may not actually be 22 doesn't mean it's not serious).  To me it seems like too much work was put into it for a parody, but nonetheless I think it falls short either way.

If it was a serious game, I would say the writing is just to generic.  The relationship described could just about be any relationship--there are no specifics and you get no sense of character or anything like that.  The relationship between the platforming and the story is tenuous at best--IMO the biggest problem with artgames is that they rely on weak gameplay metaphors--why can't these games try to tackle their subject matter straight on.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »

Whilst not quite as good as the author's masterpiece We're Going to Cambridge! this game is still a true milestone in gaming history.

I'm definitely buying this when it comes out on Steam.

floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 07:04:01 AM »

all the way through i was like "i wish this guy would stop talking about his feelings.", and then at the end he did. victory!
bento_smile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 08:57:12 AM »

I forgot to say that this game amused me. :D It did. (Although, I was expecting a bigger twist ending...)
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »

Uh, as le art game this fails, because the correlation between text and game didn't work. Depression isn't a U-shaped tunnel that can be passed via hopping. And having to wait for the text to appear got annoying.

But... seeing the Hero:Core dude in that one screen means this could be construed as a parody. It did feel like reading the text in Braid, to a degree.

Either way this ain't no Chase Goose.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic