Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 09:35:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Bookeeper, 8Bit Funding + engine going open source
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Bookeeper, 8Bit Funding + engine going open source  (Read 2001 times)
DJ_Link
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »

Hi there.

Just want to share that my new project "The Bookeeper" is seeking funding over at 8-Bit Funding. http://www.8bitfunding.com/project_details.php?p_id=64.

One of the things we will do, if the project is successful is to release all source code for our iPhone/iPad branch. Check out it's features here http://www.indiedb.com/engines/basalt.

So if you can help us our and/or share the message it would be great Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »

Bookkeeper

Sorry, I can't help myself.

DJ_Link
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »

Bookkeeper

Sorry, I can't help myself.

eheh actually it's misspelled on purpose Smiley
But you are the first one to notice Tongue

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »

Bookkeeper
This. D: The title was bugging me too.

How did you decide on the $20k budget? Why not $5k? Why not $50k?

Do you intend to hire any additional staff (artists, writers, etc) to justify the budget, bring up the quality, and release it in a timely fashion?

twitter: @docky
DJ_Link
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »

Bookkeeper
This. D: The title was bugging me too.

How did you decide on the $20k budget? Why not $5k? Why not $50k?

Do you intend to hire any additional staff (artists, writers, etc) to justify the budget, bring up the quality, and release it in a timely fashion?

Hi,
well, we will hire someone to make an original soundtrack. Can't confirm is name for now but he made very cool soundtracks for other games. Also for voice acting.
Extra artists are also something we have been considering of course since the current estimated time is 10 months. We want to make this in a timely fashion, we don't want to drag something like this for 2-3 years. By asking donations we compromise to make it full time and as fast as we can.

We have the engine pretty much finished and the story lined up. Now it's a matter of developing the specific stuff for the game itself.

For as low as $5 you will get our previous game "Vizati", it had some cool reviews, unfortunately it hasn't made any major public impact.

Thanks for your interest

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »

And the budget? Why did you choose $20k instead of a higher or lower figure?

twitter: @docky
Seth
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »

I'm assuming they didn't pick any higher because 20k is the highest you can go on that site.
DJ_Link
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »

And the budget? Why did you choose $20k instead of a higher or lower figure?

We considered monthly expenses for the development time for 2 persons in 10 months + the outsourcing work that we need, music, more artistic help. With this amount we can guarantee that we can indeed finish the game.

Less money could make the project stall at middle. We could try ask for more money I guess, but that's not what we are after, we just want the enough to make the game. So those 20k were figured that way.

I'm assuming they didn't pick any higher because 20k is the highest you can go on that site.

Actually 20k is not the limit. We could ask more but more than that doesn't seem right. The amount we are asking is a prediction based on total development months plus expenses on art, music and other stuff

Also even if we raise the 20k we wont get that full amount. 8-Bit funding retains 10%, paypal is an average of 2.5% + .20 per transaction. If we can raise the full amount 8-Bit funding pays back 5% thus just charging 5%.

Seth
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »

Oh, my bad, I could swear I read that as the upper limit on the site.  But now that I think about it I don't know why 8bitfunding would do that, business-wise.  

Anyway, I think this funding project of yours would do a lot better if you hired a new artist first.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:33:54 PM by Seth » Logged
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »

i second that, the art style doesn't stand out enough for me to want to throw money your way.

jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »

I'm familiar with your old game but haven't played it Sad

In any case, I just wanted to say that I wish you the best of luck.  I like the art style of the new game and hope things work out well for you!

DJ_Link
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 03:26:08 AM »

i second that, the art style doesn't stand out enough for me to want to throw money your way.
That's fair enough Smiley

I'm familiar with your old game but haven't played it Sad

In any case, I just wanted to say that I wish you the best of luck.  I like the art style of the new game and hope things work out well for you!

Thank you. Well all this with 8-Bit funding is a long shot of course but if we said to gamers that we could do the game let's say with 8k we would probably fail to deliver all perks. So if we can get enough money we'll do it, if not, well, I'll put the project in the drawer for a couple more years Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic