Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 10:54:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallWavespark II
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wavespark II  (Read 1117 times)
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:45:35 AM »

Yes, I know I already have a topic for my weekly games, but I felt this was a major (and awesome) enough release to merit its own thread. Because seriously: Wavespark II!

...So yeah. As you may know, I make games based on titles that my site visitors provide. When I got this one, I was both excited and nervous at the prospect. Wavespark was one of my early big successes, and I wanted to create a worthy successor to it that captured what made it great without just being a rehash. So, you're still a little dot, controlled by a single button, able to launch yourself into the air at great speed through good timing and use of the environment - but instead of that environment being solid slopes, it's a liquid surface and glowing rainbowy stars suspended in the air.

And really, who doesn't love glowing rainbowy stars suspended in the air?

During the development process, I noticed that I would often run it to test some new feature, and get caught up in the game for 25 minutes just playing around with it. I decided to embrace that tendency rather than fight it, and so rather than the various timed and goal-oriented modes of the first game, I went with a "freestyle" approach: you can collect stars, race between checkpoints, try to perform high-scoring star bursts, or just relax and goof around - and moreover, you can switch freely between any of these as the mood strikes you just by playing differently, rather than having to break the flow of the game.

The math is wrong because it's in the process of counting upward. Deal with it.

Whenever the game-physics-tweaking got too tiring, I gave myself free rein to take a break by "add more shiny" - this kept me motivated and passionate about the overall design, and also resulted in my most visually spectacular game so far. Even if I did stay up all night and spend six hours straight getting the water reflection to look good while running at faster than 4 frames per second. (And, okay, maybe I have a bit of an obsession with rainbow color-cycling effects. Shut up, I'm a grown man and none of you get to tell me when I've had too many rainbows.)

Screenshot withheld. If you want to see the shiny water effect, play the game already.

All in all, I personally feel that this is one of my best games yet, and I'm quite interested to find out what the rest of you folks think about it. You can play the game on my website, or if your browser has issues with the web version download it for Windows, Mac, or Linux. Enjoy!  Grin

Dragondot 2 is out now! Go get it!
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:27:48 AM »

Oh man, that was great! I loved the first Wavespark, and I loved this one even more. This is probably the best one-button anything I've ever played. I really like the freestyle nature of it. Only gripe I had was that it was kind of hard to get decent speed without the stars, so if you manage to completely screw up and get no speed, it takes a while to get back into things (but this could also just because I suck at the game).

Very awesome! I hope you port it to iOS or something later. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic