Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 03:14:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingShit is Going Down in Box World! (Updated 0.85!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shit is Going Down in Box World! (Updated 0.85!)  (Read 2325 times)
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:16:27 PM »

So, welcome all, to the very first project I actually think I'll finish.

As the title suggests, the game takes place in Box World (which, as its name suggests, consists of lots of boxes), and shit is going down there.

You play as a box in Box World while said shit goes down.

SGDBW is a platform game. You're a box. You jump.

The idea originally was to make a platformer where the level is constantly changing as you play, and I think I've hit it pretty well.

Arrow keys for all movement.

Avoid red. Dark hollow boxes mean a block of that color is about to appear. Bright hollow boxes mean a block of that color is about to disappear. Spikey brown thing means an enemy is about to spawn there. Blue thingies are ice, they fall when you go under them, and can be used as one-use stepping stones. When an enemy touches lava, he also becomes a one-use stepping stone. If you end up inside a wall block, you will be pushed up until you reach open space.

NEW VERSION CHANGES!

+Added checkpoints (they're yellow plus signs).
+Added new "TRIAL MODES"! Currently, there's only one; Game of Life. How fast are you able to compute Conway's Game of Life in your head?
+Changed some graphics. Brown plus signs are monster predictions, Yellow solid blocks are win points now.
+Added a lives counter. You only get two tries past your first.
+Changed that little number in the lower right corner to "v0.85."

I hope to have some new trial modes by version 0.9 (looking for one new mode at each milestone between now and 1.0). Suggestions?
Hoping to come up with something more eye-catching to put in the title screen sometime.
I hope to add a new level or two between here and there as well.
And I may add a flying enemy between here and there.
And maybe some 1-ups.
And thinking of changing the name to "Trouble in Box Kingdom."

Screenshots (version 0.8, 0.85 isn't much different visually):

Download NEW VERSION:

You can make your own levels in notepad, just use mine as a model and you should figure everything out.

My current level is just a temporary one, but will probably stick around as an optional one. I've currently got a friend working on level design.

Is it too trial-and-error? What do you think of the graphics? Would someone be willing to make music for me?

Now I need to go to bed or something... Addicted
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:07:28 AM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 02:17:25 AM »

I like the concept quite a bit.  It creates a nice sense of urgency as you have to figure out your next step before the platform below you goes away.

At one point everything sort of...goes crazy.  I'm not sure if that's just how you decided to end the level or if there's something I'm supposed to do there.  At that point my character just seems to float off and a few more steps go until game over.  I think it should be a little clearer what's going on there and if there's anything you can do.

I look forward to seeing this idea developed.

vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 04:11:52 AM »

Can you tell me what's going on when things start to go crazy?

The way the level's supposed to end is that monsters fall into lava at the bottom, and you have to fall, and jump along them toward the hollow yellow box, which is the win point.

You're not ever supposed to float off to the side.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:27:52 AM »

At a certain point (after you've you've jumped across the bottom and go up to the second layer of blocks), almost the whole screen gets filled up with blocks.

EDIT: 

Wait, never mind, I figured it out.  I didn't know you could jump on the blue ones.  One thing I noticed, though, is that sometimes the third blue one disappears (I think when you don't jump onto that block that disappears the next turn).

This game could also really benefit by the inclusion of checkpoints.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:36:56 AM by malec2b » Logged

vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »

Hehe, that part even fooled me a few times.

The third ice block won't drop if you don't go under it, and in order to go under it and survive, you have to jump over to the block that appears before the lava block appears trying to fool you, then jump back to safety.

And yeah, I've thought of either including checkpoints, or having a simple quicksave key. I still don't know which I want to include, though.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 01:16:27 PM »

I figured out how you get the ice block to stay, there just isn't any adequately explained reason why it would disappear if you don't go under it.

I think a checkpoint would be better as pressing a quick-save key during game play could very well get their character killed, as well as generally distract from game play.

vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 02:05:28 PM »

Because the next frame in the level doesn't have an ice block in that spot, and keeping the ice blocks there would cause lots of unnecessary confusion on the part of players and level designers.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:37:19 AM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Akon
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »

shit's goin down, muthafucka
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 11:31:57 PM »

New Version!

Download here:

NEW VERSION CHANGES!

+Added checkpoints (they're yellow plus signs).
+Added new "TRIAL MODES"! Currently, there's only one; Game of Life. How fast are you able to compute Conway's Game of Life in your head?
+Changed some graphics. Brown plus signs are monster predictions, Yellow solid blocks are win points now.
+Added a lives counter. You only get two tries past your first.
+Changed that little number in the lower right corner to "v0.85."

I hope to have some new trial modes by version 0.9 (looking for one new mode at each milestone between now and 1.0). Suggestions?
I hope to add a new level or two between here and there as well.
And I may add a flying enemy between here and there.
And maybe some 1-ups.
And thinking of changing the name to "Trouble in Box Kingdom."

And now, as I look at all my code, I realize the horrifying snarl that it is. And I'm too lazy to clean it up now. Meh, I'll do it when it all falls to shambles...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:07:45 AM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic