Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411604 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 03:09:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2330582 times)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #19900 on: February 10, 2015, 11:36:02 AM »

that's my point. there are a million sci fi novels / movies that have the same ending.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
JWK5
« Reply #19901 on: February 10, 2015, 11:54:38 AM »

To be fair, there aren't many video games (if any) with endings that haven't been done to death before.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #19902 on: February 10, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »

that's also my point. video game writing is shit.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
jiitype
« Reply #19903 on: February 10, 2015, 12:25:26 PM »

it's vidya gams the story doesn't matter as long as you can have shoot bangs
most of the time anyway
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19904 on: February 10, 2015, 12:54:35 PM »

that's my point. there are a million sci fi novels / movies that have the same ending.

tbf you could say the same thing about cinema. there are very few stories being told in films that haven't been told in literature (including theater) before.

so imo the issue is less about games telling "new" stories but rather finding their own ways of telling them (those already exist to an extent). also yes game writing sucks
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #19905 on: February 10, 2015, 12:57:08 PM »

but the original point isn't about that, it's about incestuous nerdy escapism, it's not about good writing (tm)

you know it will have, time travel, demon, dimension hoping, space war, intricate political intrigue, goat, you name it, and it will be a meaningless vacuum

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19906 on: February 10, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »

but the original point isn't about that, it's about incestuous nerdy escapism, it's not about good writing (tm)

you know it will have, time travel, demon, dimension hoping, space war, intricate political intrigue, goat, you name it, and it will be a meaningless vacuum

i wasnt talking about the original point (tm)
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19907 on: February 10, 2015, 01:10:26 PM »

video game writing is shit Who, Me?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19908 on: February 10, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »

btw plot "complexity" which i criticized in my other post is also one of those standard nerd culture things

i also obv meant "new" in terms of "new in the grand scheme of storytelling" not "new to videogames"
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19909 on: February 10, 2015, 01:42:53 PM »

I see those halo commercials where they try to put drama on the most animesque alien dudes ever.

JWK5
« Reply #19910 on: February 10, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »

What I loathe with video games and story is that for a lot of games the story fails to give the action context and the action fails to give the story context. Even a terrible action movie gives you some kind reasoning for why a bunch of ninjas are attacking the hero all of a sudden, a lot of video games tend to go "It's a video game, what do you expect?" and that's that. Or you will be sinking your teeth into the action and then suddenly you are hit with a cut scene that tells a story that not only seems to contradict the pace of the action but also seems to have virtually nothing to do with it (and that highlights another problem, the cut scene is telling the story, but the action is not).

The story should either sit quietly in the background giving context to the gameplay (Dark Souls) or it should sit at the forefront and be driven by the gameplay (Phoenix Wright). Sitting along side the gameplay but functioning independent of it just creates a scenario where the gameplay ruins the immersion of the story and the story interrupts the pace of the gameplay.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19911 on: February 10, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »

action + story = behavior (aka implicit purpose of the action within the action)

game lack consistent behavior beyond "attack" (implying the character is an enemy by ACTING not just showing or telling).

It does not need to stay in front and the back, the game can be the story

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19912 on: February 10, 2015, 02:48:29 PM »

whats the story morning glory
JWK5
« Reply #19913 on: February 10, 2015, 06:48:44 PM »

Not sure where to put this (if it is worth putting anywhere at all) but I noticed the NES really doesn't have a true red color, what it has is a slightly off-red (towards orange) color. This got me studying the NES color palette (I am a slave to my boredom) and I wound up creating the following which is the NES palette arranged by luminosity:

As it turns out, the NES is pretty weak in the warms and strong in the cools, this might explain why a lot of NES games keep their scenes heavily grouped by warmth (typically warm objects over cool backgrounds). This gives me a new appreciation for the original Super Mario Bros. game because the color balancing is pretty clever (even if the sprites themselves aren't particularly detailed).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19914 on: February 10, 2015, 07:47:48 PM »

i am reading a comment section on a website about hollow earth reptiloids, spiritual channeling and other shit like that and i cant even tell which comments are serious and which ones are sarcastic/trolling. my mind is fucked plz halp
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19915 on: February 10, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »

someone make a game about it PLeaSe Cry

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #19916 on: February 10, 2015, 08:25:32 PM »

Rare veterans announce Banjo-Kazooie successor

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19917 on: February 10, 2015, 08:30:58 PM »

no game no image no news  Apoplectic

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19918 on: February 11, 2015, 04:05:27 AM »

There's an image of two sets of eyes that presumably belong to the protagonists. Still, this would be cool. I'd love to play another game with the general design of one of Rare's old 3D platformers and having industry veterans on the team gives me hopes that it'll actually happen.

CA, reality is a social construct and therefore there is no difference between being serious and being facetious. Simply expressing a perspective makes it real; this is why the NWO desires so strongly to control Wikipedia, the central column that supports our current reality.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19919 on: February 11, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »

thanks for writing the scenario of the game :D

Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic