Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411601 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 11:36:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSpyro: Dawn of the Dragon
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon  (Read 5373 times)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 10:56:04 AM »

argh im so sorry ive been lashing out at people recently i need to stop doing that ugh im the worst ill never mention it again...

WTF

Calm down, Annabelle. You worry too much...
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »

Is this gonna be just like Sonic the Hedgehog 2006? Trying to revitalize a franchise by making it 'serious', 'dark' and 'epic'? With shitty voice acting to boot?

Are we going to see more beastiality?

Since we're also talking about Sonic, Seeing the stuff from Unleashed kinda makes it seem they're learning from their horrible past mistakes. Besides the Werehog. He still looks stupid. And button-mashy.

Anyway, yeah, I remember the old Spyros being fairly good games in memory. Maybe it'll undergo the same process as Sonic. Fall to the deepest pits of awful before rising again (IF Unleashed turns out good).

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »

I can't take it any more... it's Mark HamillHAMILL. Angry

Anyway, I didn't see anything wrong with the trailer at all.  It looks kinda interesting.

Maybe that's because I'm not a fan of Spyro or something.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »

I can't take it any more... it's Mark HamillHAMILL. Angry

Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 12:20:58 PM »

Is this gonna be just like Sonic the Hedgehog 2006? Trying to revitalize a franchise by making it 'serious', 'dark' and 'epic'? With shitty voice acting to boot?
they actually rebooted the franchise two installments ago... this is the third installment of the new series.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 12:23:45 PM »

Are we going to see more beastiality?
...What?

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »

they actually rebooted the franchise two installments ago... this is the third installment of the new series.

Still, the 2006 game crossed all the limits of horrible, so it was the first that came to mind.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »

Still, the 2006 game crossed all the limits of horrible, so it was the first that came to mind.
no melly theyre talking about spyro! there was a 'spyro reboot' 2 games ago. in the series.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 01:01:52 PM »

Oooooooh, I see now, sorry I'm tired.

Disregard my posts of fail.

Renton
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 01:02:24 PM »

I don't get these "dark" and "epic" stuff the try to make out of cute, cartooney games. How dark can they get? Last time I checked Sonic was still the same Sonic, except there was a black Sonic with a gun. Does that make it darker? No. It makes it dumber.

Unless they turn Spyro into Drakan or something, I doubt it'll be dark or epic.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »

I think the problem here is that these franchises were first created to have silly/kiddy/plotless stories. When you try to tack dark and epic plots in there there's a good chance things will go wrong, especially with the original fanbase, who you'll alienate.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 02:04:29 PM »

I think the problem here is that these franchises were first created to have silly/kiddy/plotless stories. When you try to tack dark and epic plots in there there's a good chance things will go wrong, especially with the original fanbase, who you'll alienate.
Yeah pretty much, some old fanbase will leave and some possible fanbase won't come because of what's been already established.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »

That, or the game just isn't fun to play.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »

No, I'm looking forward to this. I LOVED the older Spyro games for the PSX (1-3) and I haven't actually tried any of the others, except the GBA ones, in fear of being disappointed.
I'd played Spyro 1 on my friend's PSX back in the day, and I recently played through it properly on my PSP and really really enjoyed it (and got all the gems and the bonus world, etc.).  I'd played Spyro 2 (and I think 3?) on my friend's PSX too, and I have fond memories of them too.  Of course, I haven't played any more recent Spyro games because of the whole quality problem, so yeah, I guess I hope this is good too (though I haven't actually watched the trailer yet and I'm not liking that it's apparently trying to be epic; one of the best/worst parts of Spyro 1 is when he says "You gotta believe!" from Parappa the Rappa after unfreezing a dragon.

EDIT: WTF!!!  That trailer IS LoTR!!!  And not just a little bit, A LOT!!!  WTF WTF WTF
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:11:29 PM by architekt » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »

I don't get these "dark" and "epic" stuff the try to make out of cute, cartooney games.
Spyro's too cute to make "dark," but that's not always the case.  A really really horrifying Mario game could be created in which the game world "flickers" between being on drugs and being in a really really horrible drugged up future (possible with people living in sewers).  The game would take place in both worlds, as there isn't really a Mushroom Kingdom, it's just what Mario uses to try and cope with the horrid world around him.  And I think the Mushroom Kingdom sequences would actually start to become disconcerting and horrid because you knew that they weren't real.

And I think the same goes for Mega Man too.  I don't think you could make the Classic series "dark," but it would be very very easy to "darken" the overall Mega Man universe.  In a way they did that with the Zero series (my favorite), but they could have taken it slightly farther for the full "dark" effect.  All they would need to do is remake the series in 3D with the characters looking like real people and the cannon fodder robots looking slightly more like current tech military drones (which they basically are).  All the bright colours could be kept in a way, but have lots of chipped paint and decaying surfaces; rust everywhere.  The Japanese version of the series already had blood (even though you were fighting robots...go figure) but I guess whatever would be necessary to make the game feel as post-apocalyptic as it should could be implemented (it being set in a post-apocalyptic world and all).

Oh man, long post for no reason...  Well, you get my point, some "cutsy" things can be "darkened," but only some.  And Spyro and Sonic most definitely can't be.  You know, I think I can say that anything with non-humanoid (robots are humanoid) characters can't be made "dark."  As you can always find a way to make humans or robots "dark."
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2008, 01:04:28 AM »

Architekt? Consider your Thread-Killer's guilt absolved.

I'm ather amused with the idea of a Gritty, Dark "reimagining" of an old, cute game. Until of course I remember that each and every Sonic game does this. In 3D. Because 3D makes everything better.

Regardless, and to tie this into the compo discussion, I'd like to see this applied to games IN A STRICTLY CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT. Such as a TIGS compo! We'd all have a laugh and go back to not producing them full time, slowly replacing the public's respect and love with the bile, and money we so bitterly need.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic