Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411596 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 08:43:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat do you eat?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: What do you eat?  (Read 7901 times)
increpare
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 08:58:46 AM »

I know some vegetarians and vegans, and they have to use massive amounts of vitamins just to get all the stuff they would normally get from a single chicken sandwich.
Hmm.  Vegans can have some trouble with that.  No vegetarians I know use supplements.  I'm also a vegetarian, and I don't take any vitamin supplements (not that there's anything wrong with taking supplements if you want to).  One has to be a little careful about one's diet-balance, but...I don't find it too much of a chore.

Omnivores generally need a diet consisting of both to survive.
Thankfully that doesn't hold true for us humanpeeps.

I suppose the my biggest problem is that vegetarians claim that animals can have feelings, but apparently the plants can't.
plant's don't have a nervous systems.  that does count for something.

Even more than that, trees are in more danger than animals are currently.
I'd rather have a couple pigs for dinner, rather than only eating corn or rice, so that more rainforests in Brazil can be chopped down to make room for plantations.

Most trees are being chopped down to make more agricultural land, sure, but animal farming takes up far more land than crop-farming.  That's an important point.  Let me repeat it: animal farming takes up far more land than crop-farming.  Also: what do you think people feed the animals?
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 08:59:12 AM »

I know some vegetarians and vegans, and they have to use massive amounts of vitamins just to get all the stuff they would normally get from a single chicken sandwich.

Then tell them to eat better. All the major nutritional organizations agree that you can get everything you need from a balanced vegetarian or vegan diet. Obviously if all you eat are carrots, you're going to be in pretty poor health. Getting a good mixture of vegetables, grains and legumes isn't any harder than getting a good mix of meats, grains, vegetables and dairy (actually, having spent a long time as first an omnivore, then a vegetarian and then a vegan, I can safely say that being vegan is way easier).

The problem is that most people either never try a vegan diet because they think "OH NO HOW WILL I GET MY PROTEINZ!?21one," as if their current diet of cheetos and beer is somehow optimally attuned to their demanding lifestyle of hitting refresh on blogs and pretending to work, or they make a very half-assed attempt by spending a week eating nothing but cucumber and celery sticks before giving up and declaring that veganism is 'impossible.'

Ugh. I need an auto-responder for these:

I suppose the my biggest problem is that vegetarians claim that animals can have feelings, but apparently the plants can't. I suppose maple trees enjoy getting giant hoses stuck up their trunk so that their life force can be sucked away? They're incapable of defending themselves, too!

Plants don't even have nervous systems. In contrast to animals (mammals especially), whom we understand to function on a relatively similar level to humans: i.e., they feel pain, they appear to react to the loss of family or pack members, they display a noticeable fear of death (imminent death, at least: I wouldn't suppose they have existential angst). Plus, clearly you do not believe this is true, as unless you have mad scurvy, I'd assume you eat both plants and animals. If you are concerned about other beings because of how they think and feel, even if you are willing to prioritize humans over other animals (which I think is reasonable), it's entirely justified to say that you would prefer to avoid damaging thinking animals as much as possible, given that it isn't particularly a lot of work, anyway.

Even more than that, trees are in more danger than animals are currently. I'd rather have a couple pigs for dinner, rather than only eating corn or rice, so that more rainforests in Brazil can be chopped down to make room for plantations.

Uh, what do you think farm animals eat? Sunshine and rainbows? Do you have any idea how much extra grain we need to grow to sustain livestock in North America? We could feed like ten North Americas with all the food we are feeding to cows so we can eat them.

The fact is, the only reasons to eat meat are flavour (which is really only a factor for about six months of vegetarianism, as your body will actually change your tastes to correspond to your available diet) and convenience (vegan cooking at home is easy, but restaurants sometimes seem to believe that vegans just eat salads). If you want to eat meat, go nuts. I'm not going to stop you, but there isn't much point in making up other crazy excuses.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
increpare
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »

SNAP
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 09:13:43 AM »

I'll admit that I actually know more vegans than vegetarians, that may account for some of my misunderstanding.

My reasoning is imperfect because I honestly don't know enough viewpoints about the subject. I like to hear more about it, in this case, because I don't know enough right now.

My final question, though: where do you draw the line at "sanctity of life"? I would consider the methods used by farmers to kill livestock to be more humane than the methods that, say, wolves use to tear into their meals. Should wolves be killed because they have only one life, and they take more than one life in their lives?

Also, Increpare, I was lying through my teeth when I mentioned Brazilian rainforests. That has to do with a totally separate ecological crisis, resulting from the massive boost in demand for Biofuels to potentially use as car fuel someday.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »

Rojões à Moda do Minho
increpare
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2008, 09:33:33 AM »

Also, Increpare, I was lying through my teeth when I mentioned Brazilian rainforests. That has to do with a totally separate ecological crisis, resulting from the massive boost in demand for Biofuels to potentially use as car fuel someday.
I thought that had been written of as a catastrophically bad policy idea by now?
Seth
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »

My final question, though: where do you draw the line at "sanctity of life"? I would consider the methods used by farmers to kill livestock to be more humane than the methods that, say, wolves use to tear into their meals. Should wolves be killed because they have only one life, and they take more than one life in their lives?

Personally I'd rather be killed by a pack of wolves than born and bred for the explicit purpose of being eaten.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »

Please lets go back to the topic of delicious foods, people. You can make a vegetarianism discussion thread if you want.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2008, 11:09:18 AM »

YUM YUM

Renton
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2008, 11:21:29 AM »

What exactly is this?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2008, 11:23:32 AM »

I'm not sure I want to know. o.o

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2008, 11:34:37 AM »

Sheep Stomach. I just needed something nasty-looking to post, and I was in a hurry.
Zaphos
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »

http://pomomusings.com/2005/07/06/why-not-eat-sheep-stomach/
Renton
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2008, 11:56:58 AM »

Sheep stomach soup is great when made with garlic and a little vinegar.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2008, 11:59:07 AM »

Subs all the way:

The perfect food is portable.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »

Philly Cheesesteaks are possibly the best things in creation.
Renton
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2008, 12:15:21 PM »

Philly Cheesesteaks are possibly the best things in creation.
Ironically, it will most likely be your undoing.
See the cheese? It's the color of death. It's the nature's way of saying "I'm dangerous."
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »

Admittedly, I just cut the cheese out and have "Philly Steaks" usually. They're still friggin' delicious
Renton
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »

Admittedly, I just cut the cheese out and have "Philly Steaks" usually. They're still friggin' delicious
Can't argue with that. Delicious; cheese or no cheese.
Also: Full of calories and bad cholesterol; cheese or no cheese.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »

Can't argue with that. Delicious; cheese or no cheese.
Also: Full of calories and good cholesterol; cheese or no cheese.
Yum Grin

Also, I've been 130 pounds for the last 7 years of my life, so it doesn't really bother me much.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic