Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 05:14:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLife of Sundura - Let's play as an organism from Birth to Death
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Life of Sundura - Let's play as an organism from Birth to Death  (Read 29245 times)
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2016, 11:06:32 PM »

Glad my input is useful! I understand the difficulty committing. The idea about debris mobility is really good! It works with the world and I love the trade-off and risk you'd take.

Your art is good too! It kinda reminds me of some art I made in high school. I prefer the top one I confess, I think the bttom is the one you made with the random patterns? Are they new or just sharing some old drawings? Thanks for the tip about William Chyr, I've got his thread opened next. Cheers!

Thanks man! Pretty much all of them started off with random patterns and random strokes. The drawings are new. Not sure if any of them will make it in the game, but great for inspiration.

As for William Chyr, I just read his most recent post. Really great stuff there for Async loading.

Currently developing Life Of Sundura. Website | Devblog | Twitter | Tumblr
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »

Hi! I have been working on improving the underlining architecture of the game and performance of it (which took waayy longer then I expected). And one of the key things of that is visualizing the flow of energy.

The idea is that all living things are composed of energy particles. The more energy you have, the more full and vibrant your body is. In the gif above is an example of Sundura finding a pool of energy that she can feed from. In the same way, Sundura’s predator can suck energy out of her, depleting her of her life source.

Depending on how much energy your body has will cause your body to react differently. Having full energy gives your body a hard skeleton that allows you to break through barriers. Having low energy causes your body to be very particle like allowing you to easily pass through cracks. I will be working on the basic environment of the game next. Can’t wait to showcase how those mechanics will play out.

And for fun, here is a close up gif of Sundura’s body being created out of thin air.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2017, 06:18:16 PM »

I have set a few goals for myself for the remainder of Q2 (2nd quarter of the year). The theme for this quarter to is implement base environment for Life Of Sundura. Before I dive into making the ecosystem of the game, I will need to build out basic infrastructure of environment. Here is a run down about what each goal is about:

Environment Concept Art (6+)

Want to start my creative juices going of what the environment could look like. So will be doing at least 6 concept art pieces of some basic environments.

Seamless Environment Loading

Not a big fan of loading screens, so really would like the game to be able to seamlessly load and unload environments as the player progresses/explores. I have already build out seamless loading mechanics for organisms in the last quarter, so just need to apply the same logic to environments.

Flowing Mechanics of Migration Current

This one is my favorite. Since Sundura will be following a migration current through her life span, that makes it a big core of the game. The game is completely physics based, so this goal will focus on using physics to push organisms within a current. I will also be exploring the gameplay of dancing with the current (and eventually with other organisms in the current)

Setup Base Environment

The picture above shows an “abstract” big picture perspective of the environment of game. With a core in the middle, a current that flows around it, and different environments inspired by Ayurveda (more on that inspiration in another post). So this goal will focus on setting up a basic version of that environment. As I iterate through the development of the game the environment will grow and change, but I need a starting base to work with and that’s what I wish to accomplish with this goal.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »

Here is 4/6 of the top down environment concept art I wanted to make for this quarter.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2017, 02:58:00 AM »

Your game is looking great. I love the transition idea from life to death and how you have visualised sundara.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2017, 06:17:44 AM »

Glad to see an update on this! Really looking forward to seeing the environments you come up with, the concept art all looks awesome.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2017, 12:30:10 AM »

Thanks guys! Really liking the direction the game is going in. And seamless environment loading is progressing quite smoothly and am almost done with it. Will be posting an update on that goal soon.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2017, 09:03:47 PM »

Finished implementing seamless environment loading (one of my Q2 goals) and in the top GIF you’ll notice two boxes.

• White Box: Camera bounds
  • Green Box: Collider bounds that load anything inside of it

That with the combination of Object Pooling (a game programming technique) is how the seamless loading works (let me know if you guys want me to write up a more technical overview of this).

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2017, 11:55:26 PM »

Almost done with building out the mechanics of the current. Here is a sneak peak of it. Will be posting gifs of what riding the current will look like soon.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »

Finished implementing the mechanics of the current. It’s 100% 2d physics based.I can easily change the strength of the current, and this current is one of the more stronger ones, so it’s particularly hard to ride against it (as shown in the second gif above).

And here is one more GIF of lazily riding the current and just letting it sweep you away. Kind of reminds me how I used to ride the lazy rivers in water parks.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2017, 11:22:17 PM »

Here is two more top down environment concept art pieces, and this one has organisms in it. That completes the goal I had this quarter for drawing at least 6 of them.

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2017, 12:12:26 AM »

Woaaaa the environments! This is exciting.  Gomez Gomez

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2017, 07:05:14 PM »

Woaaaa the environments! This is exciting.  Gomez Gomez

Thanks man!

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2017, 11:47:47 PM »

The end of the second quarter was last week. Unfortunately, I did not complete all my goals for that quarter. I was not able to finish “Setup Base Environment” goal. Regardless, these goals were super helpful as they kept me focused (as I have a habit of getting too lost in the details).

Going to finish up that last goal and share with you guys what the base environment of the game looks like. Then we can talk about QA3 goals (hint: it has something to do with organisms).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:53:55 PM by Vakey Rujevic » Logged

VampireSquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »

Glad to see you are still working on this.  Looks amazing.   
Lo-Phi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »

Yay! Super stoked to see some updates. The game just keeps looking better and better! I love the way your concept art looks as well

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2017, 08:12:16 PM »

Thanks for the support guys! I love working on this game so def will keep the updates coming.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2017, 09:33:48 AM »

I want to buy your sketch book. All of them. Those environment concept pieces look SO GOOD. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the next quarter, and (hopefully?) seeing some of the organisms you've mentioned.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »

still one of my favorite projects. keeps looking better and better  Toast Right

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2017, 01:26:02 AM »

Oh man, that means a lot hearing you guys say that.  Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic