Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 09:25:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 679071 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: August 30, 2012, 04:30:09 AM »

Ha, I found a bug that crashes the whole thing the second last day of every month. This was because I'd do a "today+2" to book reservations. Since 32nd Aug doesn't exist, it crashes the system.

I never would've found it if I didn't test that page today, because there are no more last days of the month right before the deadline. People would be pissed at some software that doesn't run for an entire day.

Umm... it should also fail on the last day of the month, right?

Also, seems to me you shouldn't be keeping year, month, and day as separate integers, but instead should be keeping days since some epoch.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: August 31, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »

16 bit date;

DDDDDMMMMYYYYYYY

EDIT: You add 2000 to the year
Summersault
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2842 on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:42 AM »

Finished implementing the animation system for a Space Invaders clone I'm currently working on  \o/ (I'm a noobie) Now it's just a matter of setting up the animations I want! (the fun part :D) It's quite lovely seeing your animated sprites for the first time Grin I made it so it will be easily copied over to future projects, so I'm happyyyy~
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: August 31, 2012, 07:41:38 AM »

16 bit date;

DDDDDMMMMYYYYYYY

Getting all nostalgic over the Y2K bug, were you? Big Laff

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: August 31, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »

16 bit date;

DDDDDMMMMYYYYYYY

Getting all nostalgic over the Y2K bug, were you? Big Laff

Shushh...
EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2845 on: September 09, 2012, 10:55:06 PM »

Awwwww yeah.

Started working on a game for PSM (Playstation Mobile).  The SDK's pretty alright, but there's just not a lot of tools that exist for it.

I couldn't find a way to do easy, optimized, sprite sheet driven rendering out of the box, so I coded my own today.  All you have to do is drop sprite sheets made by TexturePacker into a directory, and you can construct sprites by their name.  It handles the sprite sheet lookup, batching, caching and object pooling all behind the scenes.

You can also do standalone sprites with it (not on a sheet) if you really feel like it.

Now I can start making a game...
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: September 12, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »

Ha, I found a bug that crashes the whole thing the second last day of every month. This was because I'd do a "today+2" to book reservations. Since 32nd Aug doesn't exist, it crashes the system.

I never would've found it if I didn't test that page today, because there are no more last days of the month right before the deadline. People would be pissed at some software that doesn't run for an entire day.

Umm... it should also fail on the last day of the month, right?

Also, seems to me you shouldn't be keeping year, month, and day as separate integers, but instead should be keeping days since some epoch.

Yeah, but 31st Aug was a national holiday, so I wouldn't be looking for it.

It's kept as separate integers, because that's the way Android's calendar works  Wink
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2847 on: September 13, 2012, 04:27:24 AM »

It's kept as separate integers, because that's the way Android's calendar works  Wink

Looks to me like the only sane way to use that would be to manipulate it with get/setTimeInMillis(), and just convert to days/months/etc. for display purposes.

dewlap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: September 14, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »

I just fixed a bug where the player would respawn in the correct place  and then sometimes, not every time but sometimes, disappear and reappear in some random space.

Was looking for it for ages last night and today i find it in about 5 seconds.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: September 16, 2012, 04:13:21 AM »

Looks to me like the only sane way to use that would be to manipulate it with get/setTimeInMillis(), and just convert to days/months/etc. for display purposes.

Yeah, but it's not really used extensively enough to do that. It's just letting someone click a date on a calendar and passing it on to the server, where it's kept for bureaucratic purposes (i.e. nobody reads it).

Anyway, on happy programmer stuff... I just love it when you plan something out and it works exactly as planned. And bug free!

Sometimes I don't even know why I don't bother to plan things. I think it's more of trying to pretend to work rather than actual work.

I drew up a development timeline. It was something like..
1 week: figure out what to do/how to do every component
2 weeks: prototype it
1 week: actual assembly and debugging

And people would be all "what the hell am I paying you 1 week to do nothing". Especially when everyone else's schedule looks more like "2 weeks: programming, 1 week: debugging". And they get to release demos to show progress.

But the system works. Everyone knows it's the best way to go about it, and no boss with programming experience would deny it. But nobody really likes to do it or see it being done because it's horribly inconvenient.

Yet I finished stuff on time, with way more aesthetics and special effects than the competition. One point for waterfall development model.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2850 on: September 17, 2012, 06:09:19 AM »

That feeling when spawning is fixed, team tickets are fixed and the wtf blended player counts are fixed with one simple function call order reversal. The world is at peace, and there is even time to finish emoticon bubbles before bed Tears of Joy

nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: September 17, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

I wrote an dungeon generator while i was drunk :D
Nix
« Reply #2852 on: September 17, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/9496/20120411/alcohol-solving-skills-analytical-thinking-creativity-study.htm
nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:26 PM »

Well, yeah, it works.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2854 on: September 17, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »

That feeling when spawning is fixed, team tickets are fixed and the wtf blended player counts are fixed with one simple function call order reversal. The world is at peace, and there is even time to finish emoticon bubbles before bed Tears of Joy

welldone, i bought kag the other day and had fun catapulting stuff for a while Smiley

Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #2855 on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:51 AM »

I'm pretty bored at the moment, so I've started learning SNES (65c816 Assembly) programming. It's actually great fun! Gentleman
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2856 on: September 18, 2012, 10:07:51 AM »

Assembly is always fun
is there an easy to use assembler fo SNES available?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #2857 on: September 18, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »

Assembly is always fun
is there an easy to use assembler fo SNES available?
Yup!
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: September 18, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »

I highly suggest this book: Thinking, Fast and Slow

Basically, people repress their instincts with active thinking. First few chapters point out why thinking can be blinding.

Alcohol represses this urge to thinking about it, leaving only the part of your brain that wants to do stuff. Someone who has manners and good grammar drilled into them becomes even more charming with alcohol. Someone who is instinctively crude will have their manners suppressed by alcohol.

So, it can make you more creative if you're already good enough at it that you can do it without thinking. A good writer becomes better under alcohol. A drunk 10 year old won't be able to write anything.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2859 on: September 18, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »

I think this is mandatory

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic