Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 03:40:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeat Line
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Heat Line  (Read 34931 times)
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »

Crazy lighting engine casting realtime shadows.... check Smiley Took me all day today but it was worth it. I'm tweaking the transition between sunrise/morning/noon/dusk/sunset/night right now.

I know this seems kind of silly to do, but I'm implementing the heat system next, and the time of day greatly effects the temperature of the world. And hopefully, if all goes well, it will even be slightly colder in the shadows.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 06:53:47 PM »

sweeeet.
what is making the light though?

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 06:56:40 PM »

The glory of his manparts.

(Flashlight, probably.)
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »

headlight shoes Smiley.

Naw, it was just my test light attached to the main character so I could move it around. If you squint you can pretend that he has a flashlight for reals.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 07:46:10 PM »

haha i was all headlight shoes? and check the picture

After that i read you were kidding.

soundofsatellites
Level 2

no way baby, let's go!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »

looking sexier and sexier every time I take a peek. Smiley

and the glitter is gone
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »

So the day/night system is in and working properly now with the shadows. Everything transitions smoothly and is accurate with the time of day (in game time.) I still have to implement shadows for the moving sprites, but it isn't any different that the way I did the trees. Also- shadows cannot be cast on the tops of higher elevation yet. I think I know how to fix it, but I haven't implemented it yet. (Note that trees on the second level will still cast shadows down to the first level right now.)

Morning:

Day:

Sunset:

Night:

Whew. Time to get some rest!

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2009, 08:16:24 PM »

That is SWEET Screamy

I hope the transitions between them are smooth.

alspal
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2009, 08:43:33 PM »

interesting decision to have the HUD affeted by the perspective.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2009, 09:21:09 PM »

Holy crap, I just came across this. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the gameplay sounds really cool. Love the main character!

That lighting is great.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2009, 10:44:42 PM »

This is looking really good. I'm really excited to see a nonviolent game with such obvious care going into it.

|
MalcolmLittle
Level 0

Hear me say as the pavement whirls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 06:23:06 AM »

Wow! The daylight and shadows are amazing.

Heat Line is easily the coolest thing on the forum right now. I'm practically more excited about this than I am for my own game.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2009, 01:12:21 PM »

And now, for something a bit less sexy. Unless you are into algorithms and stuff.  Durr...?

The terrain in the screens I have shown so far have all been procedurally generated, but it was really much less exciting then it looked. It only made one "area", and only in one style. Essentially woodland/rocky snow area. The proportions of each thing were fairly static. It works, but for the game to work, I need to a) have many different terrain types b) seamlessly blend them on a global map that you can traverse. That means I need to generate the "northern island" that you will be escaping from. It is coming along nicely:

The red grid spaces denote each "area" of the map. Rather than struggle with streaming in the new terrain as you wander around, the map is just loaded one area at a time. Each area is 2560x2048. The terrain tiles are 64x64, so that means that each area is 40x32 tiles large. (Each pixel in the above map represents one tile) The game resolution is 1024x768, so essentially each area is 2.5 screens wide and 2.5 screens tall. The current map is generated in a 16x20 area grid. I *think* this is going to be plenty big enough for exploration, but I can always scale up if needed. Do you you guys think this sounds large enough for an exploration game? Remember though, you really won't be wandering the whole map. You will probably be making a bee-line to the rescue station, so much of the map will remain unexplored in a given play through. But it *will* give you plenty of options to plan your route, and decide which terrain types you think you can handle on the way through....

So my next order of business is to generate the terrain areas on the map. Terrain will come in these 5 flavors:

Snowy Forest: You will always begin the game at your home along a northern coast. Because of the currents, it will be a milder area that will let you stock up and prepare for your journey across the island. This area will include plenty of trees, plant life and relatively easy terrain. Game includes birds, rabbits, foxes, bears, and elk. Some roads will already exist, and you are very likely to see other people. It is still cold and snowy though, but you are unlikely to starve or freeze in this area.

Deep Snow Plains: This terrain type still contains some trees, but there is deep snow around. It is colder, and travel is much slower as you struggle to drive through the snowdrifts. If the wind picks up, you can expect blown snow to obscure your vision and make traveling difficult. Food will not be plentiful, but the large Musk Oxen roam the plains, and shooting even one can provide a week of nourishment. There is little in the way of shelter for if/when a blizzard occurs.

Sea Ice: The weather here is the most mild, but the terrain will be tough to cross, as it consists of thin ice floating on the ocean. Expect pieces of terrain to break off and float around, and to just break in general, sending you plunging into the freezing ocean waters below. Seals and fish in the area provide plentiful food however. 

Rocky Terrain: Jagged rocks and canyons cover the landscape making travel by RV difficult. Elevation is also higher, so the wind is stronger and temperatures are colder. Caves in the area will provide much needed shelter, but just make sure a Polar Bear doesn't call it home before settling in. Protected from the weather, small animals and plants also find a home in the cracks and crevices of the rocks. 

Land Ice: On top of the Rocky Terrain lies large sprawling flat areas of Land Ice. A flat desolate area that nothing lives on, you are exposed to the brunt of the weather and the coldest temperatures. Terrain is flat, smooth and uninterrupted- with the exception of large (sometimes hidden) chasms that are thousands of feet deep. Traveling on land ice is perilous, but can take weeks off of your travel time as you cut through the center of the island.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »

interesting decision to have the HUD affeted by the perspective.

Interesting indeed. Unfortunately dictated by technical constraints at the moment, but I think it gives it a cool style as well.

Because of the way pixel shaders are applied in MMF2, I am having trouble displaying anything above the layer that has the perspective shader applied to it. This should not be a problem and there is *supposedly* a way around it. But I haven't gotten it working yet. I can't let it stop me from making progress though!

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »

I think the area maps sound plenty big enough.

One thing you might be interested in checking out is the latter quarter of the SF book Left Hand of Darkness. Two characters make an epic journey in a wintry/icy kind of landscape, mostly on skis and sled, but it's a pretty rad description of travel in that kind of environment.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2009, 02:02:21 PM »

I'll check it out. I just read through "Two Against the Ice" http://www.globecorner.com/t/t35/17891.php which is a real life memoir of two dudes survival story in Northern Greenland. I'm just starting another book, but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. This one is also a true memoir, about 3 explorers in Antarctica. Unfortunately, only one guy makes it out in this book. Apparently the other 2 guys fall into chasms. Yikes!

Reading this stuff is totally informing the game design though Smiley

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2009, 06:30:32 PM »

Today was a productive day. First, some quick concept art I did tonight:

As for progress, I added the terrain zones to the map generator, though I still need to add an algorithm to smooth the transitions at the edges, since it is very "blocky" still where it changes. It IS exciting to see the map have all the colored sections though.

I also added code to search for a valid start position at the top of the island, and a valid end position at the bottom of the island. The heat line itself is also drawn across the map, although it doesn't generate in the actual game yet. One issue that has come up is that the game sometimes places the start or end position on a separate smaller island. I'm debating whether I should fix this (by throwing these maps out, or by generating a land bridge) or if I should add some kind of game mechanic that actually allows the RV to cross sections of open water. Hmmm...

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »

Update time. Hurray!

So the map generator is working A++ now. See:

Each pixel in the image represents one 64x64 tile in the full size game world. So it is BIG. I could actually make it even bigger pretty easily, but I need to pick a size to start developing around, and I can tweak it if I need to. In the final game, it is possible that you will be able to pick how big of a world you would like to generate.

Note, all the different terrain types I posted about earlier are present. I finally got all the edge blending working seamlessly on the different sections of the map too. (So that a rocky area smoothly transitions into snow, etc...)

The green area is the starting area. The magenta area is the start of the heat line. The red line *is* the heat line, and the yellow area is the evacuation area you are trying to reach. I will probably alter the heat line code so it doesn't build itself over water, but it is more challenging this way, as you are forced to live "off the line" for at least some segments of the game.

The player probably won't be getting a map this detailed in the game though. I think it might make navigating too easy as it is. (You can map out optimal paths through the maze like mountain sections pretty easily this way). Maybe I'll let the player get GPS as an upgrade or something.

Also, I implemented traveling around the map, loading each area separately. When you get to the edges of an area, it looks like this:

The new area loads when you cross the red lines, but notice that you can still see across into the edges of nearby areas. Anyhow, this way SUCKED! Smiley See that little nook in the top right of the map there? Notice how close it is to the intersection of the 4 maps? You'll have to load the whole area just to step in that one little corner spot, and as soon as you step out, another area has to load. Loading isn't long, just a fraction of a second, but the game pauses slightly, and you character is warped to the other side of the screen (left edge if you walked off a right edge, etc..)

So I spent the last day and a half making it so that the world is constantly streamed in as you walk around. Heat Line now features an open world seamless map!  Beer!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:53:11 PM by astrospoon » Logged

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »

Shocked.

You're making me want this in multiplayer.
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »

astrospoon, give me your babies! Great work so far  Coffee

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic