Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411532 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 10:35:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSleeping With Third Eye Open | Hotel,Folklore and cosmic horror ,Isometric RPG
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Sleeping With Third Eye Open | Hotel,Folklore and cosmic horror ,Isometric RPG  (Read 9897 times)
Khanin
Level 0

GameDev - #SW3EO + #MANE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 06:59:38 PM »

Chapter #06 : Dialogue Wheel / Choices architecture | 'Chewing with your mouth open'

Hello, Tigsource Mock Anger

my previous post cover a bit about how quests, choices, and factors on the consequences,
i also wanna mention about the main idea of choice in the game too.
Here's some screenshots of some dialogues that are not polished but i want  show how overall appearance would look like.
also a location : Cha-bar, stay tune for more soon

Choices architecture

As the game is non-combat, the choice-made will not for tactical or should remotely just for proceeding in game. The dialogue choices will be purely for your expression of character or strategic to your investigation. How would the character/you like to react in the role-play situation. With small-scale narrative as a 7 hotel stays, The controlled-frame timeline help creating intense and rich different paths and outcomes. Choices are providing various of meaningful reactivity which is the main goal here.

this GDC talk by J.E.Sawyer influence me so much in designing RPG narrative ,

|| GUI : Dialogue wheel ||

color-coded text dialogue
; help indicate which character speaking / and also to be visually memorable
tiny bubble for character :
Important choice / with some description of choice effect or indicate intention

Blink Blink Blink

While the game is text heavy. my intent design is to move away from a isometric CRPG panned-out
tactical view approach with heavy text and in-detail description.
Instead,to be be less for that and be more visualized by enough close up to character with animation
to convey emotion where their situation reaction can be enact like a cinematic scene as something i aim to achieve.

Voices could bring so much life into characters. And,also provide realistic dialogue such as talk over each other.
To have a voice-acting would be a dream. it is something i wish i have, but..well its costly,
but its not something i'd ruled out yet,.

This is another amazing talk by Anna Kipnis covering on dialogue system
and whats to expect on heavy-dialogue game. fantastic stuff!.

Cha-bar : NINTARA's hotel lounge Cafe and bar  Coffee

the name actually is a pun between Thai and English
as 'Chaba' is a name of a flower in Thai ,and 'Cha' means a Tea.
So It's a Tea bar 'Cha-bar'. witty right ? or..yea pretty dumb dumb.

Location :Cha-Bar is Hotel Cafe | 'Breakfast Buffet is a must add!'

From my anime food obsession,I also have idea on additional tiny feature
that ordering drinks or foods could offer some aesthetic effect filters
but that's definitely not priority.

Follow @SuntornStudio | Me @KhanKanin
GAMEDEV on - #MANE and #SW3EO
Khanin
Level 0

GameDev - #SW3EO + #MANE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 07:02:20 PM »

Very interesting and unique aesthetic. Looking forward seeing this game as it develops.

The visuals look great! Looking forward to seeing how this game evolves.

Thank you!, I appreciate that so, always an amaze to hear from fellow developers.  Beer!

SimonFelix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 02:55:42 AM »

This looks amazing, and has a very intriguing premise! I love the animation, it has an almost rotoscoped feel to it. Can't wait to see more!  Blink

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 04:10:04 AM »

Hi Kian, this looks great and I like the visuals! Interested to seeing how this will develop. Good luck! Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »

Looks so good!

Finding what I can do better
Khanin
Level 0

GameDev - #SW3EO + #MANE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 11:43:46 PM »

This looks amazing, and has a very intriguing premise! I love the animation, it has an almost rotoscoped feel to it. Can't wait to see more!  Blink

Thank you so much!. well.. the animation was just rigged. I wish I could do rotoscoping for more complex move. But for isometric animation, I think I only saw on The Banner saga Dev does that but with the well-equipped studio and exact angle capture.

Hi Kian, this looks great and I like the visuals! Interested to seeing how this will develop. Good luck! Smiley

Ay! Thank you so! I'm stoked as im making it too! excited to see how it gonna turn out  Crazy

Looks so good!

Wink ! thank you, It's always a great thing i hear from a fellow artist too
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:32:59 PM by ThreeEyedDude » Logged

Khanin
Level 0

GameDev - #SW3EO + #MANE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 03:23:55 PM »

This will be a first big update for while for this hotel game and do stay tune for more in the following months. These many months, I've been polishing the game design decisions on Its aesthetic style and game-play :

|| ART DIRECTION ||

There have been a lot of artwork redone, more solidify the theme and the art direction, decision made.Because I really feel that, the previous game looks are lost in its art direction. Its identity and style has not being really consistent.

So I want to have the game being more grim ,but still have its vibrant feature. More consistent of colors ,odd patterns, layering of textures. Another thing I’m excited to add is 'unmoving pattern' technique in animation. Taking advantage of the game being isometric, It creates some kind of visual illusion in its ambiguity in-between 2D and being 2.5D which i really find virtually fascinating and somewhat hypnotizing.

There's also still much research i need to do on regarding of designing an identity for South-east Asian on reflecting its architecture and aesthetic. I will be uploading more art and design process in these couple months in details. A Full hotels layout look should be expected soon.

The screenshot above should cover the overall look of the game.I'm planned to work on applying with the dynamic light so it should make more appealing scene by then.

|| CHOICES AND CONVERSATION ||

I have been developing 'conversation' mechanism that allow player dialogue to be less restricted and more natural flow of conversation. Plus,having a UI: icons is help give a clear translation ,indication or emphasize the tone of an option such as; a lie, diversion, question or ending the conversation. And having special option for 'supernatural ability' feature that can be use to affect conversation; convincing or manipulating etc.

The dialogue options also should act as a structure map of conversation, giving a visual direction on how the topic moves. Silence's always being a option if the player need to remove yourself from conversation in order to proceed in other action. I feel like time sensitivity is needed on some crucial conversation and also provide a consequence for back down on a conversation that somewhat is interrogation. Overall this's still in working process.

|| PORTRAIT ||

There has always been an itch of mine in an isometric-view game that I want to feel connected to the character portrait. Isometric view make the characters distant so it's depending on a text description on what's going on or a voice-acting.

Animation should really put a life into a character portrait showing facial features and emotion in real time. It also will put less weight into description and more into visual translating emotion or show any facial traces.

|| PERSONAL LOG #00 ||

It've been pretty interesting experience creating my first game.

It's indeed a process which im still learning as I'm making it.
Besides, it have been many years since I am back into drawing or even painting. Recent years,I have only been doing strictly a graphic design or plan drawing and 3d. so I still have a plenty to improve.

The one thing i am really proudly content is the story which i think it is pretty solid now. The challenge is to create believable convincing and vivid dialogue. The whole game experience should be art of creating suspense and unfolding the story which i'm really excited about.

I felt like my previous post of work have been done pretty rushy because of the situation of mine ,My hesitation and insecure to committing on the game. because something that do consume time and require dedication and may draining your life force if you're not careful. So, I gotta strive on passion and hope for more good opportunities that will come along in thr making. Noir

Thank you for keeping up with my game. Do check out the updated Game summary. And, Please, all the feedback are most welcome!

Please do follow for an monthly update ,more Introduction ,
And a special prequel-contents here on ' TigSource' or   IndieDB | GameJolt

@3rdEyeSleeping or me : @ThreeEyeDude | sleepingwiththirdeyeopengame.com

kian (at) sleepingwiththirdeyeopengame.com
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:56:10 AM by Khanin » Logged

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »

happy to see you still working on this, Khanin! everything is looking great. keep going strong. Toast Right

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 05:14:03 AM »

^ agreed! I like what you are doing with dialogue too, glad to see you post again  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 01:55:52 AM »

This is a staggeringly beautiful game, super excited to see how this develops!

Janionano
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 03:32:55 AM »

Third eye, with malice, has another connotation in my country.  Well, hello there!
But it doesn't matter, as it is a good name, makes sense, and your game catches the eye  Well, hello there!. In addition to that, of course, your game draws attention visually and conceptually, seems very well resolved, very promising.

Khanin
Level 0

GameDev - #SW3EO + #MANE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2018, 03:23:16 PM »

"Greeting to the anticipated patrons and sincerely apologize for the lateness that more than fashionably."

Hello!. Happy Upcoming Halloween,

Here's a big chunk of update with more concrete theme of folk-lore horror art direction and style.
This post will cover on all Game play aspect ,mechanics, New WIP features and interface.
also a snippet of an intro scene on the test build including music and sound.

So for counting down to days to Halloween and in spooky spirit.
do follow the game twitter here : @SW3EO
I will be uploading more art pieces and high-res and zoome of what already post on here.

Thank you so much for following the game and staying support.
And, Welcome for those who just discover the game too!
Stay tune for more direction of how the game will go and way to support.

Blink Blink Blink

"A snippet screenshot of discovering some disturbance scene'

"Psyche" is the main score system throughout the game.

Determining how much your character is logical and present in the tangible reality or to be sensitive toward energies and the other realm.

'Psyche' will be affecting the effectiveness of your perception skills.
It is also a factor on how your player experience on each quest scenario and how your story will pan out.
providing more options or special reactivity from other characters or your surrounding.

'Psyche score' will be gain or reduce by your decision in quests or trading it for doing certain ritual.
There's several way to manipulating the player's psyche by using consumables, certain ability or finishing a sub-quest.

'Psyche status' can be checked by Player' hand interface. or seeing Hotel Psychiatrist for a result.
also be shown by visual distortion as the character as a subjectivity effect. {'a Psyche effect'}

Senses are the game mechanics representing play 5 senses ability that can be perform to gain an 'Insight'. or be as A variable on conversation and on a event sequence.

'Insight' is a information piece to collect to use against in conversation or a scene sequence. Insight also can be collect to enhance player's ability and unlock features.
'Tree UI' is a visual representation which is growing behind the interface that will be changing and shaped according to the state of your play-though.

Perception is a sight , hearing and scent abilities that can be use gain an 'Insight' information on surroundings or make 'Perception check' on scene scenario  :

'PERCEPTION WHEEL' Interface

'Effectiveness' - determine what level of your ability that will take on passing a 'perception check'. How much for a insight information you will get from use on your surround.

'Psyche status' - a variable to 'Effectiveness'

'Influence Marks' - are the 'Buff/Debuff' status. Usually gained by use consumables or, a temporary effect or a permanent from a consequence of a quest.

'locked feature' - on a play-though, player can achieve a new spacial ability or a enhance of one.

VERBAL and ACTION icon

A Verbal : Player's Response in a conversation

'Verbal Influence Marks' - will be effecting in conversation to either provide more special options or mute one out

An Action : Interaction to an object or a character

'Action Influence Marks' - will also be effecting action to create a special move of new action.

The roles of an item in the game can be divided in to 4 categories.

'Consumables' - Items which player can use to manipulate their 'Psyche score' or apply for an 'Influence Marks' .
'Potions' will be lasting over a quest. while 'Foods' will be lasting over a course of time.

'Ingredients' - Items that is used or required for crafting a consumables at a 'Brewing pot'or is used to perform a certain ritual in a quest.

EQUIPMENT :

'Charms' - Wearable 'Influence Marks' that are lasting.

'Outfits' - Wearable for applying Tag on player that are useful toward stealth and some provide 'Influence mark'

'Infiltration'

The game is planned to have some stealth mechanics in the game which The player can enter a restricted area
or a place where the player are not allowed such as staff-only area, other guest's rooms and more.
With various ways for a solution,Outfits can be one of player choice used for infiltration in gaining
'Insight'. or wear to enhance player 'Verbal' ability to perform a sociable task.

'Kuman-Thong' inspired by the same name of a Thai folklore craft , is the game QTE feature.

If on a player play-though have earned 'Kuman-Thong charm', Player will be prompted with a Quick time event
to perform special action or choice by them.

Throughout your stay, Kuman-thong will be acting as clairvoyant,.
Providing a  certain quick-time event option for a player both verbal choice or action without any requirement of sense's effectiveness, psyche or insight.

Each of them will have their own side and theme of advise.
following one's advise will eventually shape your Kuman-Thong to morphing into one than another.
which then the player will gain one additional ability granted from one.

They ,or at least before morph into only one, will be providing foretelling options which may be as absurd or random as they are but guarantee a useful one for toward the upcoming incident.

Third Eye opening is a WIP feature and supposedly a powerful ability to perform to enter a 'Astral plane'

'Astral plane' is where all that is hidden is revealed (gaining all the 'Insight' without perception ability).
also glimpse to the remnants of the past or emotional attached energy on an object.

Staying in 'Astral plane' will result in decreasing your 'Psyche' until it run out. suggested to use it wisely

'Sneak-peak of one of an intro scene with old UI, showcase an WIP process on the game dialogue system'
Music and Sound by @Spellbang

Your choices in conversation is a way to result in branching.
Moreover, choosing your tone will affect the character 'value' and 'relationship'

'Value' - The shifting value of each character whether on weighting their decision to act or
challenging their believe and what's important to them. Your choice of words will be influential especially in specific scenario.
Value will be variable to a factor for determine directions of branching and endings route of each companion.

'Relationship' - 'Relationship' - A score toward their fondness and trust of the player.
Gaining them will provide an option to ask for a favor, a special side quest ,their loyalty on a task and their  'Resources'.

'Resources access' - An Advantage that is rewarded toward gaining companion relationship

Staff Companions :

Malila - A Receptionist, front desk administrator.
Resources : Access to hotel administration and guest's Information.
Khan - A Hotel lobby boy, guest relation agent.
Resources : Access to service areas. guest relation authorization

Patron Companions :

Jun - A golden child of a wealthy family, A VIP guest on a Ongoing continuous vacation.
Resources : Wealth resources. Access to privileged services and area.
Tanya - A Biology graduated foreigner , botanist visiting on her vacation and expedition.
Resources : Deep botanic insights. Access to Tanya's portable biology research kit

Please do follow for an more update and upcoming art for the spirit of Halloween  Evil Evil Evil

Development Hub and a special prequel-contents here on ' TigSource' or elsewhere : IndieDB | GameJolt

The Game Twitter : @SW3EO | or Myself : @ThreeEyeDude | Site : sleepingwiththirdeyeopengame.com

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:31:01 PM by Khanin » Logged

Khanin
Level 0

GameDev - #SW3EO + #MANE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2018, 07:32:14 PM »

| Happy Samhain! To a fellow third eye associated cult member Cool |

'Asian Witch with an expensive taste

Hello! Here's a quick update ! : I've upload a tiny test build.
It's the same scene as the intro-snippet video that uploaded on here:

Description :

You sitting in a car where Artitat ,The hotel chauffeur, drive you up hill to your destination.With your pocket hold a weird flower you pick up at previous gas station, You cant stop thinking about How its smell tempting you to eat it!?.

Music and Sound by @Spellbang

This build is for testing out the dialogue system coding and UI.
you can end the scene with right-click and eat the flower which begin a sequence and another scene.
press 1 2 or 3 will prompt some random next of your perception observation.

There's some tiny bit where your answer will add score toward Artitat friendliness
As his end dialogue will be more friendly and you gain his number.
The end will prompt around around 1 minutes + after the mouth icon prompt up second time.

I havent integrate the new perception on this build.
And the scroll bar of choices are meant to change in the update.

do follow me on the GameJolt as it is where I will keep putting up the test build if you're interested
Have a lovely November  Coffee

Development Hub and a special prequel-contents here on ' TigSource' or elsewhere : IndieDB | GameJolt

The Game Twitter : @SW3EO | or Myself : @ThreeEyeDude | Site : sleepingwiththirdeyeopengame.com

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:10:37 AM by Khanin » Logged

XianXian
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »

Wow this looks great, always look forward to indie horror games esp ones like this, which differs a lot from the first person narrative, 3D games I usually see.  Also, I find the artwork pleasing, very organic, yet whimsical.
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2018, 08:47:17 PM »

damn, this looks great! Reminds me a lot of no truce with the furries elysium disco, from the perspective, art style, and humor. I've downloaded the demo, will update with my thoughts!

Khanin
Level 0

GameDev - #SW3EO + #MANE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »

damn, this looks great! Reminds me a lot of no truce with the furries elysium disco, from the perspective, art style, and humor. I've downloaded the demo, will update with my thoughts!

Thank you! I've been also a fan of Disco Elysium development on here too (i actually like the old name.i love long title). Cant wait for their release. I'm all for more RPG that story-rich and narrative-focused. Its the same passion creating this too.

Wow this looks great, always look forward to indie horror games esp ones like this, which differs a lot from the first person narrative, 3D games I usually see.  Also, I find the artwork pleasing, very organic, yet whimsical.

Thank you so! I'm trying achieve the balance between being too horror or whimsical.For choosing to do Isometric It's my love for them. I think its a great visual framework for projecting information and art in 2d yet have the depth like 3d. It allow having fun designing the twist in our visual understanding of space. It was my favorite form of presentation in my architect years. But Its also a pain in the bum in creating animation.

Catching up with past posts. i'm sorry i didn't reply then.

Third eye, with malice, has another connotation in my country.  Well, hello there!
But it doesn't matter, as it is a good name, makes sense, and your game catches the eye  Well, hello there!. In addition to that, of course, your game draws attention visually and conceptually, seems very well resolved, very promising.

Hmm.. Got me so curious on your connotation. I'm from South-east Asia. we got this superstitious believe root in our culture and religion. And With Hinduism and Chinese's Yīguàn Dào influence, Third eye become like a practice in seeing beyond and elevation of mind. also i love puns. therefore came this title. lol

This is a staggeringly beautiful game, super excited to see how this develops!

Thank you so much! me too.

^ agreed! I like what you are doing with dialogue too, glad to see you post again  Beer!

Still going and yep! that's my mission on the game. But, I'm working on it still. Right now with the uploaded build, I'm using simple scrolling choices but that was meant to change soon once a proper design is achieved.

happy to see you still working on this, Khanin! everything is looking great. keep going strong. Toast Right

Thank you for stay supportive since beginning. Cheers Beer!

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »

I just actually reread half this thread being amazed all over again when I realized there were no new updates. I love your art style and perspective. Not quite sure how the actual mechanics function but that's something that's more fun to figure out in-game anyways.

Khanin
Level 0

GameDev - #SW3EO + #MANE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »

Greetings!  Gentleman, hotel patron fellows  My Word!.

Khanin here. Thank you for all that still follow and welcome new comer which here's some sad news
first,I want to very apologize for the silence and absent of update for the game.
The game have been in process of getting deals and gathering financial resource enough
to have full team to push the game into full development.
but things are not going over so smoothly apparently.

Cutting thing short And rushing are never wise thing to do.
So I decided to put The game development is on hiatus for now
and will be for while until we are capable to continue in full production.
I expect that will be around the end of years. so finger-crossed to that!

SCREENSHOTS OF THE BUILD

On the bright side of a time off also allow me the freedom to reconsider
the scope and overall narrative of game. Now the game turn out to be bigger scope
and scale than first anticipated.The game now more emphasize on horror aspect of folk and cosmic.
with more complexity of more characters.The people to make this his remote distance weird hotel become a micro-city
an indoor town full with guests who are various in occupation and high in rank and position.
That will be playing roles in your vacation days where all thing will take turn for the worst..

SOMEMORE TASTY SCREENSHOTS OF THE BUILD

Meanwhile with pushing SW3EO into preproduction phase again.
I have move on developing a much more smaller project
which is still not far from my love for an narrative RPG with my friends.

Introduce 'MANE' || a game inspired by my adoration of Mogopos lion coalition
story in "Brothers in Blood: The Lions of Sabi Sand'  
And a night of never-ending long conversation with a friend.

FOLLOW THE DEVELOPMENT : MANE TIGsource page here

SW3EO Build 1.0.1

I've also upload our super secret build from a few months ago now but..

be-warned! It is really not optimized so expected the large in size and bugs.

Music and Sound by RJ from here @Spellbang

DOWNLOAD THE BUILD ON HERE sun-torn.itch.io/sleeping-with-third-eye-open

"6 seconds  footage of player 7 vicious vacation nights."
 Excuse the color distortion. small .gif seem to cant handle that intense of Magenta.

SW3EO Build 1.0.1 footage -

The beginning of the game is fairly self-explanatory; you’ll be presented with a choice and
then you’ll have a conversation on the car ride to your hotel. The game remembers the choices you make.
In the demo alone, there’s quite a few subtle branches based on the things you say and do;
the full game will extrapolate that even further.

In the car scene, if you picked up the flower in the first scene,
you can click on it in your inventory (which can be brought up with a right click)
to see an extra scene at this point.

After you get to the hotel, talk to everyone!
 There’s no repeated conversation in this game, so don’t worry about clicking too much
and getting the same dialogue.

Once in your hotel room there should be a lot of things to look at and click on.
After doing that for a bit, something will happen. At this point,
you can decide to either use the telephone (and have a lengthy conversation)
or simply leave the room instead to end the preview build.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:43:17 AM by Khanin » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic