Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 06:40:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Source Code
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Source Code  (Read 15550 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 05:36:10 AM »

Hitting an object is different from hitting a character, since, among other things, you don't need to worry about knockback. A second piece of code within the attack's parents is necessary (it should deal damage to the object equal to pow).

There may also need to be two hittable objects- one for those that extend walls, and another for nonsolid hittable objects.

I'll send you something shortly, if you'd like.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »

Ok, thanks. Though in some cases, there will be hittable objects that need to take knockback: for example, the whole point of the bouncing bombs in the Bonesaw stage is that you can hit them toward your opponent. The same might possibly apply to NPC characters such as the DF cats.

Also, IIRC not all attacks have a 'pow' value, only the projectiles do, since we added pow when we were making GK's absorb power. It might be more efficient to put a pow value for all attacks, and then change the attack_hit script so that it uses the pow value for damage.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »

Ok, thanks. Though in some cases, there will be hittable objects that need to take knockback: for example, the whole point of the bouncing bombs in the Bonesaw stage is that you can hit them toward your opponent. The same might possibly apply to NPC characters such as the DF cats.
That's true. It would be easiest if we could just consider these objects as characters, but I'm not positive that would work.

Also, IIRC not all attacks have a 'pow' value, only the projectiles do, since we added pow when we were making GK's absorb power. It might be more efficient to put a pow value for all attacks, and then change the attack_hit script so that it uses the pow value for damage.
I changed it for the last update. Though the attack_hit script doesn't call pow directly (a few attacks, like the dwarf's Hammer and Anvil, would deal damage dependent on other factors as well).

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 09:48:08 PM »

The newest version of the source code is, unfortunately, not compatible with the unregistered version of Game Maker, unless you take out a number of lines of code. PM me if you would like the unregistered version of the source code.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 06:35:48 PM »

Nightshade, I noticed that the source code available here still seems to be the IB10 build. Can you upload IB11 as a .gmk so I can make Trilby in the most up-to-date version?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 07:24:06 PM »

I'll do that in a minute. Nothing's changed in the engine since the last version, though, except that wall-sliding is slightly faster.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »

Thanks. Gentleman

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »

That's a little presumptuous, don't you think?

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »

Yellowboy, I don't know if you're misinformed or just being rude, so I'm going to go with the former for now. We already have an engine that is pretty much fully functional. So, thanks for your offer but it's not necessary, and the way you said it sounded rather condescending, not to mention incoherent.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 08:58:29 PM »

Look. You've got 6 posts. You've been a forum member for 3 days. There's no way anyone is handing full control of this project to a complete stranger, especially not after all the work that's been put into it. What would be the advantage of porting the game to another engine (especially since you work with GM as well)? From what you've said, your engine isn't capable of anything the current engine isn't, besides the ladders and roof hugging, neither of which is important to Indie Brawl. And why don't you think Chutup and I are qualified to handle programming?

Now, you're welcome to contribute to this project. If you have any code or tips you're willing to share, we'll be happy to listen. For all I know, you could have an awesome engine, and lots of valuable advice. Just don't expect us to give up our say in the project to put our full faith in you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:01:53 PM by Brain Soup » Logged

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 06:14:15 PM »

Don't worry, man, you obviously care.

Dunno if I can speak for chutup and Nightshade, but I guess I can.  Wizard
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 06:40:30 PM »

Goodness, I really do apologize for sounding like that. I see what you mean, in retrospect. By no means did I say that either you or Chutup were not good enough, nor did I say I wanted to totally take over the project Okay, I pretty much said that, but that was not what I meant. I was suggesting using a smaller engine that I developed that does these things. I can see how you feel, and I really apologize for my ignorance.
That's OK, don't worry about it.
I can offer programming advice and sprite art, then, most of the advice is mostly cleanup. Pardon for being sudden on such, but for instance, it could be easier to simply compile images and objects into one to save file space. What I mean is, you could place all of those portraits into one sprite file. Then, you can delete the rest of those portrait objects and just have one. You can use the ID number of each specific object in the level editor (careful!) and just use ID numbers, such as 1532000.x instead of portrait_naija.x and still have the same effect, except with reduced filesize. Further info is in the help file, and it comes in handy.
You might save a tiny bit of space by putting all the portraits into a single image, but not much. Twelve 48*48 sprites are not going to be a whole lot bigger than one 84*288 background.
Using ID numbers sounds pretty pointless to me, it would add a lot of hassle without really gaining anything. The only thing you would do is reduce the number of objects in the library, again producing probably a very minimal difference in file size. On the other hand if you ever wanted to rearrange the characters' portraits for whatever reason, you would have to drag them around in the image editor and then painstakingly retype all the ID numbers in the cursor object's code.

Using this style to make Iji would be pretty cool, so I think I might do that.
Now you're sounding condescending again. I've already pledged to work on Iji, so it's a bit rude to just come in and say you'll do it.
Furthermore, I don't understand how you would apply this 'style' to coding a character, since the only methods you described above related to handling of the character select screen. Can you explain what you mean by that?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »

Goodness, I really do apologize for sounding like that.
Don't worry about it. It would probably help if you read more of the threads here so you have a better idea of what's going on.

I can offer programming advice and sprite art, then, most of the advice is mostly cleanup. Pardon for being sudden on such, but for instance, it could be easier to simply compile images and objects into one to save file space.
Maybe, though I don't think it would make a huge difference. I'm going to be rearranging the portraits soon, anyway.

Using this style to make Iji would be pretty cool, so I think I might do that.
Chutup's already making Iji.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for being so ridiculous and proposing a engine that, as far as you're concerned, doesn't even matter if it exists or not.
If there are any techniques you used in your engine that you found useful, don't hesitate to share them. I always learn something by looking at another's engine.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 05:38:17 AM »

Please stay. Good help is hard to come by.  Gentleman

Superaj127
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »

'Error Loading: File seems to be corrupted.' Epileptic
Pages: 1 [2]