Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411629 Posts in 69392 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 12:04:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWe Want YOU @ wewantyou.quicksandgames.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: We Want YOU @ wewantyou.quicksandgames.com  (Read 25782 times)
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

Okay, I hope you're able to use Zshare.

BUILD 2 LINKS:
Zshare
Mediafire
WillHostForFood

Optional HQ Music Pack: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=78710

(Everyone else, see page 4 for the write-up.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:11:39 PM by Quicksand-T » Logged

Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »

Cool, it worked, will give feedback when I can.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2009, 09:48:14 AM »

The new build really improves on the first release, great work guys! I have to say the new beginning is fantastic, in fact I would like to see more of that throughout the whole game. In one start I was able to shadow one of my squad mates for about a minute (just randomly he stayed in the middle of the screen going down for a while) and it was really cool!

Haven't got that far yet (year 2/56 enemies) but the changing seasons and the more elite enemies are rad as well.

I would still like slightly more dynamic enemies but I understand now what you're going for in terms of pacing.

Excellent work  Beer!
jmzero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2009, 12:01:18 PM »

Not much to say.  I thought it was nice, simple entertainment.  (Edit for clarity: I had a lot of fun - previous sentence intended as compliment; "simple" = good thing).

Don't suppose we could get ladders or something?  Maybe it's part of the metaphoric thrust that you're perpetually going down, but something in me would appreciate being able to explore in any direction. 
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »

I would still like slightly more dynamic enemies but I understand now what you're going for in terms of pacing.

Any specific ideas?

Glad you like the game. Try to get farther, there are more cool new things later on.

Don't suppose we could get ladders or something?  Maybe it's part of the metaphoric thrust that you're perpetually going down, but something in me would appreciate being able to explore in any direction.

In this game going down represents moving forward in time as well as space, so we don't want you going up too much. That, and the engine currently deletes the ground above you as you go down to save resources.

That being said, I've been thinking of other possibilities for this endless-terrain engine. If we make another game in the same vein we'll definitely allow you to move upward too. If we don't get around to it maybe someone else could.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2009, 04:26:39 AM »

WOH! This is more than I ever dared dream for! Tears of Joy
The sheer amount of additons are overwhelming! -Though the vastly improved AI has made the game a whole lot more difficult! Enemies also seem to appear a lot more randomly, and often in quite big groups that can really put up a fight^^
I LOVE the randomized name stuff in the end! My Word! And I nearly jumped out of my chair when I saw the "secret" in the beginning of the game!

Seriously awesome work! The only things left that I want to see happen to this game now is a split-screen multiplayer mode and a DS port!;D

(PS, my multiplayer idea: Two players play the same game, although in seperate randomly created worlds, and compete to reach a certain year first, should a player die the other one may continue to reach the "bottom", but should he too fail the player with the most kills win the round!^^)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:30:14 AM by Theon » Logged
Hyudra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »

A few instances where I got trapped, just for the record.

Minigun feels more like a penalty weapon than anything else (Doesn't kill fast enough to handle enemies in a horizontal fight without me taking 2-3 shots each time).  It also gets a little awkward when I'm aiming down & have trouble raising my weapon after.

Good fun.  Going into my Games Download folder to stay for a bit, I think.   Hand Thumbs Up Left
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »

A few instances where I got trapped, just for the record.
Try pressing "C"!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Hyudra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2009, 09:24:55 AM »

Thanks.  Silly me for not reading the Readme.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2009, 09:22:06 PM »

Minigun feels more like a penalty weapon than anything else (Doesn't kill fast enough to handle enemies in a horizontal fight without me taking 2-3 shots each time).  It also gets a little awkward when I'm aiming down & have trouble raising my weapon after.

Good fun.  Going into my Games Download folder to stay for a bit, I think.   Hand Thumbs Up Left

Glad you're enjoying the game.

The minigun is a little slow when it comes to killing enemies, but the fun is in pushing them backward (or up into the air Wink). The bullets also have a special property that helps out in some situations.

I'm not sure why you're taking 2-3 shots in machine-gun fights. Enemies can't shoot when they're being riddled with bullets (Unless there's a bug...). Was there any enemy behind the one you were hitting? In those sorts of situations, you can always switch to your normal weapon (or just avoid that type of situation altogether).

About the aiming: If you're not holding the "shoot" key, you can aim up or down at a 45 degree angle just by pressing "up" or "down" (assuming the weapon is aimable). Once you hold the "shoot" key, your aim goes into precise mode, so you can start at 45 degrees and then fine-tune your aim. That makes aiming up or down a little faster.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2009, 10:22:43 PM »

Seriously awesome work! The only things left that I want to see happen to this game now is a split-screen multiplayer mode and a DS port!;D

Haha. What's the farthest you've gotten?

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2009, 10:43:57 PM »

Haha. What's the farthest you've gotten?
I'm afraid I haven't had too much time with the new version, but on the old one I've passed through at least two bomb-rains (not that I suppose that's very far^^;).
You see, I really love this game, even though I'm not very good at it Tongue
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:40 AM »

Here's the farthest I've gotten;P

-Must say the colors on the tiles get a little intense down there Epileptic
Dragonmaw
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »

To make this game an absolute, knock-out hit, I think you need to add two things:

- Dynamic missions (Dynamite the fortress, kill the honor guard, etc). Maybe given through ironic newspaper clippings. Almost as a parody of all the outings of secret missions that seem to be going on nowadays.

- Animations for the characters!

Also I love how as the time wears on, things get bleaker and crazier. Awesome. The altter parts are definitely missing some of the animation of the earlier segments. I almost wish I could stay in the first season the whole time, because of the grass swaying and whatnot.

Edit: One more thing. I want to be able to place C4 on any surface. Or at least sideways and ground. Ceiling doesn't matter, since you said you don't want the player climbing upwards great amounts

Also I love the pistol and the pistol alone. It makes me feel sort of like an assassin. A knife would be a nice addition to this for enemies that are right on you and keep running behind you.

Something that might be interesting would be a juxtaposition of enemy headlines versus friendly headlines. One praising the soldier as a hero, the other condemning him as a genocidal war criminal.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:04:21 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2009, 10:50:45 AM »

Congratulation, Theon. As far as we know you're the first person (besides us) to get to the far future. We were starting to think it was near impossible for players to get that far.

Dynamic missions (Dynamite the fortress, kill the honor guard, etc). Maybe given through ironic newspaper clippings. Almost as a parody of all the outings of secret missions that seem to be going on nowadays.

That would be interesting, but we would have to figure out how to do it while bypassing the traditional score/achievement reward system typical to war games.

Originally we were going to have little interactive "vignettes", or simple narrative pieces, that showed up randomly. For example, a tableau of snow men in the snow city area (showing that regular people still live in this war zone). Maybe we could have implied objectives in the same way, like you could come upon a hostage you can rescue from an enemy.

- Animations for the characters!

Also I love how as the time wears on, things get bleaker and crazier. Awesome. The altter parts are definitely missing some of the animation of the earlier segments. I almost wish I could stay in the first season the whole time, because of the grass swaying and whatnot.

We haven't added animations for the characters because we'd rather spend our limited development time and energy working on more interesting things. But I'm glad you noticed the new grass swaying thing. If you make it to the far future area there's another pretty cool animated object...

Edit: One more thing. I want to be able to place C4 on any surface. Or at least sideways and ground. Ceiling doesn't matter, since you said you don't want the player climbing upwards great amounts

Also I love the pistol and the pistol alone. It makes me feel sort of like an assassin. A knife would be a nice addition to this for enemies that are right on you and keep running behind you.

I think that might make it too easy to bypass any threat. Now that we have weapon switching you could just carry around a bazooka in reserve and use that instead.

The WIP version has some weak, destroyable ground.

I've been wanting a knife too, actually. Corny LaughHand Knife Right

Something that might be interesting would be a juxtaposition of enemy headlines versus friendly headlines. One praising the soldier as a hero, the other condemning him as a genocidal war criminal.

Interesting. I wonder what they're saying about America right now in Afghanistan and Iraq.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:56:11 AM by Quicksand-T » Logged

Dragonmaw
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2009, 05:17:37 PM »

I came up with a little "conduct" run.

No kills. No usage of any weapons whatsoever (even non-lethal, such as using the minigun to push enemies). No pick-ups allowed except for medic tents and armor. Get as far as possible.

I call it conscientious objector mode.

So far my best in it is 2 years.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2009, 01:40:10 AM »

Congratulation, Theon. As far as we know you're the first person (besides us) to get to the far future. We were starting to think it was near impossible for players to get that far.

Why, thank you Grin
I must say the animated *secret* down there was pretty awesome Hand Thumbs Up Right
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »

We Want YOU Public Build 3.01 - Can YOU take the heat?

NEW FEATURES:
- Special, interactive ground types!
- Three new stages!
- New defensive equipment!

We also tweaked the enemy spawning and difficulty, as well as lowering the shotgun volume, and various other tweaks and bug fixes.

Once again, we're looking for bugs, as well as general feedback. When commenting please tell us how far you got (by year). Thanks for playing!

DOWNLOAD THE EXPLOSIVE BUILD 3.01:
Link Removed. See http://wewantyou.quicksandgames.com/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 09:56:29 PM by Quicksand-T » Logged

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2009, 01:16:03 AM »

HOLY SHI-
A new buil already!? Shocked Tears of Joy
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.