Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 07:05:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTankTank
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TankTank  (Read 1861 times)
execute_data
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:03:07 AM »

Hey guys,

I've been working on this game for awhile (git tells me almost 2 years to the day) and I am hoping to increase the player base and get some feedback on how it plays for people when I am not looking over their shoulder.

This fourm is the first place I saw the name TankTank used in the context of a game.  This particular game isn't the one that was mentioned before.  Although rocket jumping tanks looks fun.

It is a fast paced 2D multiplayer tank (triangle Smiley) combat game.

It was developed for splitscreen but along the way I added real multiplayer.  It works best on LAN as there is no chat function, so yelling distance helps.  There is an internet server browser though.

More screenshots here: http://executedata.blogspot.com/search/label/tanktank

It uses libtuxcap, chipmunk physics, sdl, sdlnet, sdlmixer, sdlimage.

The server browser code was written by me and is hosted at: http://github.com/afaucher/tankfinder

The master internet server is also open source at: http://tankfinderhttp.sourceforge.net/

The maps are just svg's made in inkscape using the built xml editor to add object properties.

Included are win32 and linux x64 (tested on Ubuntu, Fedora) builds.  The win32 version works fine in wine.  Sometimes in wine the window doesn't open right, killing it and trying again fixes it.

Sysreqs:  Basic OpenGL acceleration is required.  I've run it just fine with that on a 1.2 GHz machine.

Download: http://sites.google.com/site/alexanderfaucher/junk/tanktank-0.3.0.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

UPDATE:  To be explicit, (as requested by the sticky topic I read then forgot about) the feedback I am looking for is:
 * Does the game feel balanced for your group of people?
 * Any bugs that keep you from playing?
 * Did you have fun trying it?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:07:11 AM by execute_data » Logged
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:01:07 PM »

Will leave more detailed comments later after my exam this aft, however it looks quite good conceptually.
Looks very similar to the multiplayer in overboard on ps1 if you've ever played that.
execute_data
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »

Actually that game came with one of my video cards or motherboards long ago.  For PC of course.  I had never heard of it before but it was pretty fun.  I don't think I ever got multiplayer on it working though.  Damn, now I wanna play that.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 03:15:20 PM »

Well I booted it, but no servers on atm, looks quite nice, menu font could maybe be a little clearer to read, smoothed edges, similar style, but easier to read.
Don't know many fonts off the top of my head tbh...
None the less, looks cool, just wish I could play with someone.
execute_data
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »

You can play multiplayer on the local computer by going to Options > Game Options and set Player Count to 2.  Then when you host a game you will have two players locally.  The keys are:

Player 1
Arrow Keys - Movement
R-Ctrl - Fire
R-Alt - Reload
R-Shift - Change Gun

Player 2
WSAD - Movement
L-... ...
L-... ...
L-... ...

This also lets 2 players join a real multiplayer game from the same computer
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:43:07 AM »

Nice, didn't realise that function!
I started a local game up to see what it played like, my feedback:
- Local camera might be best as traditional overboard style, so when you're close it zooms in, and when you're far away, it expands to always include both players
- The laser is weak, it is very hard to use it when travelling at speed
- Mouse control in single player would be cool (don't know if this is implemented as have not played single player)
- In fact, a single player campaign would be awesome built on this engine, may be something to consider
- The damage you take when you hit the walls is way too high

No bugs though, and it looks very promising, keep at it Smiley
execute_data
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »

Thanks!

It has been years since I played overboard:

Do you mean it keeps zooming out to keep both players on the screen?  The problem I saw with that in a multiplayer match other players might be alone and therefore not zoomed out.  Zoomed in you have a huge advantage in combat.  Thinking about it now I could zoom everyone out the same amount, not sure if fighting would even be possible at the zoom level though.  I'll try it and see.

There is a camera mode (disabled) that was designed for team/coop mode that centers the camera for everyone on the team at the center of mass of all the players.  It forces people to stick together but it is pretty easy to get off screen.  I've seen games where the 'team' view snaps apart to split-screen once you get far enough apart.  I think C-Dogs did this.

There is actually single player hidden in there.  It was originally a split-screen game with no score, so you could kill each other or there was a few types of monsters.  For quite awhile they didn't work after I added network code so they are not in any polished levels.

If you want to try the monsters this level has them http://9139767184237294390-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/alexanderfaucher/junk/maze.svg?attachauth=ANoY7coD2LXjk_0drLYzPzx3Vyb4yy5lFzJwIHNJPtjf9sUHhncsZAE7LWEp8bM8izYD07O2kRzEfjVp6LX8n7kKC65sJ_K0BQlbVwhPBvft5vW-Rafi2JYSqNCzjKMgSsr9EYOs19FxS3mNVDzXM1JgyND76aFrkZ493HcAQVRUmYLcM_IqEAQUBo4TmboQ9NsEOt43J7CClO07uSzwxcFxeFHTZqfMMw%3D%3D&attredirects=0, just drop it in the levels folder and go to Options > Server Options and put it in the map rotation.

Unfortunately I can't test it right now as I am at work, but it should still work.

Those baddies don't do any path finding.  There is:
A chase mine, get too close and it will chase you for a bit until it gets close enough or runs out of gas.
A turret that shoots at anything that moves.
A boomarang launching tank.  Absolutely hilarious but not very dangerous.

The last of which can actually follow a path if given one.  I've been meaning to throw some A* at it to make it able to actually hunt.  Currently it can only patrol a preset path and engage if it sees someone.

Lastly, you've got a great point about the laser.  It is alot stronger if you can get close, but the damage drop off is probably too steep.  At the end of it's range it doesn't do any damage at all, just pushes you which throws off your shots.  In reality it was meant as more of a 'o damn I am out of ammo and have them cornered' weapon then a chase and destroy.

Ok, I missed a point, there is actually a health handicap in the Player Options menu that playing with new players I usually turn theirs up.  I might raise the default.  It shows up in the lobby view next to the name so you can see what other players are at.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:00:47 AM »

If you're thinking about A*, you may also want to have a look at the dijkstra algorithm, I played with both of them for a turn based strategy advance wars style game I was making, which I didn't have backed up when the HD broke in my laptop...

Anyway, to pool what has been said about the camera views:
Single player on online match - standard view per player, possibly zoom out when moving faster?
2 player local - split screen is fine tbh, the alternative is the camera that zooms out to always encompass both players (and some edge so you can see ahead), but this isn't so good on big maps
2 player local on online match - same as 2 player local, per computer connected

An alternative is of course to give players the option of which camera they prefer in the options menu, allowing them to toggle "zoom out when speeding" and selecting an option for "player view area" from: single player, all local players, all players

Hope that helps Smiley
execute_data
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »

I put up a new version that has basic camera zoom here:

http://sites.google.com/site/alexanderfaucher/junk/tanktank-0.3.1.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

I had to tear out the software clipping that tuxcap provided.  It wasn't compatible with using raw gl calls for scaling.

This also has a more effective laser, the drop off was reduced so you still get most of your shot power near the end of the range.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic