Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 10:42:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBlackfoot - Platform RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blackfoot - Platform RPG  (Read 3538 times)
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:32:18 AM »

Enter the world of Blackfoot, a world a little bit smaller than you may be used to. Take the role of one of nature's greatest assassins in this Platformer RPG. Play as a weasel as you work to hunt down 4 of your prey animals, but look out for other woodland creatures as they may attack you on sight. Sneak around the world and only attack those you have to, while always keeping your final goal in mind.
Visit the Website!

Gameplay:

Play through 4 action packed levels where you must collect 10 eggs hidden throughout the stage and kill your prey at the end of the level. The eggs are very hidden and it will take you multiple runs to be each level. But do not fret, as long as you kill your prey with any number of eggs, you will be rewarded with experience! Level your weasel at the menu screen by adding Jump, Acceleration or Speed. Be aware at high levels, acceleration becomes less important for making crucial jumps. Hide in holes/caves to make creatures no longer see you or to allow your prey to pass with you unnoticed.

Now with Achievements!

Controls

Up - Jump
Left, Right - Run, Wall Jump
Down - Duck, Hide, Fall off wall.
Space - Attack
P - Pause

Tip: By holding down and quickly wall jumping, you can do a fast push off useful for going down trees/holes.

Trailer:

Coverage:

Continue Review

Pixel Prospector

Rincon Indie(Spanish)

Fuxter(Russian)

Credits:

Game by Daniel Fornace (Graphics, Programming, Design)
Music by John Avarese
Sound Effects by George Rogers

Tips:

This is not a game that you will beat in one sitting. You are also not going to be able to speed through it. The game is most fun if you save often and come back to it. It will take a while to get used to a level and find all the eggs. Make sure that you try to get experience every run as that will make the levels easier. If you are having great difficulty with one level, then try doing a previous level for experience then coming back. If you can beat the game then post a screenshot of your Menu screen with your weasel's level and your setup!

Winners

Zeddidragon

Screenshots

Download:

Download Page
Better for playing and saving the game locally.

Yoyogames Link
Comment here as well and wish me luck in the competition.

Donate Page
Donate Money to Support!

Also I am thinking of finishing this for Indie Pub's 100K Competition. Let me know if you have any ideas that could bring it to the next level.

Thanks,
-Dan Fornace
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:40:55 AM by DanFornace » Logged
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »

Most of (all?) your links are is a bit broken. It looks great, though. I'm especially in love with the logo, for some reason.

Level up my weasel, eh? Don't mind if I do!
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »

Hey guys. Just got moved to Feedback. I was wondering if anyone could review the game on their blog that I could add to the front page of my site?

Also, I am trying to decide if I want to leave this project as is, or continue developing it as a complete PC game. So please let me know what you think and if you feel it is worth expanding.

Thanks,
Dan Fornace
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »

I'll end up trying out tonight when I get off work. The screen shots and what the game sounds like reminds me of EVO for SNES (Wether it's like it or not is a different story.) and I liked EVO. I might do a review of it on my blog. I'll let you know if I do.

Farr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »

Cool I like the true American feel of this game. The graphics are different from the usual warrior with the flashy sword. Jumping off walls is always fun as well.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »

I'll download the game now with the aim of playing tomorrow, and yes, I can review it for my blog if you would so desire, the idea of platforming RPGs has always been appealing to me so I'm quite looking forward to playing even if you don't need the review Smiley
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:35:02 PM »

@ KM

I still haven't played E.V.O but the comparisons have been made before! I guess I'll check it out soon. And I hope you enjoy it and do a review! I look forward to hearing some feedback.

@Farr

Haha thanks, I haven't heard that yet, but I was basing my visuals off Yellowstone which I visited years ago =)

@Onza

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the game, and I would definitely love to add your review to my website. Let me know what you would change too, as I am trying to decide if I want to put on the finishing touches to polish it or to continue developing the idea further!

-Dan
jimmythechang
Level 0

wait this isn't air IT'S BEES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:52:21 PM »

This game definitely had a SNES-vibe going on when I first played it, and the weasel controls as weaselly as one could hope for. Nice animations throughout.

In a nutshell though, this game's basically about collecting eggs, with the prey serving as a timer. What if you had a little more control over the prey's behavior - say, environmental triggers that the weasel could activate to delay the prey from reaching the end? Or instead of the prey constantly moving towards the right, what about giving the weasel the ability to scare the prey back in the opposite direction? To offset this, you could make the prey much faster and allow it to escape from the left side of the level as well; that way, each level becomes a challenge in both collecting eggs and wrangling prey.

Additionally, I do think it's contextually odd that the weasel can't kill its prey until the end of the level, but I think there might be a neat way to solve this problem: have it so that you can kill the prey at any time, but award experience by multiplying a base number of points by the number of eggs collected up to that point - for example, 2 points for killing the rabbit, multiplied by however many eggs you've found. This, in turn, speeds up the grind in...uh, leveling your weasel. Power-leveling weasels, ladies and gentlemen, you heard it here first.

i'll do better next time i swear

http://jimmythechang.com
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »

Hey jimmthechang.

I am actually really interested in your ideas and I was wondering how you would get them to work personally, as I am having a bit of trouble visualizing them. I definitely agree that the game needs more interaction with the prey, but I'm not sure how to get it to work haha.

So I like the environmental trigger idea, where you can add roadblocks or stops to distract the prey. But what would these be in your mind? Knocking branches over? Do you have any ideas that would work for this?

I also really like the idea that the prey can be faster and escape from either side. Actually its super genius haha. I do have a few questions about it though.
1.) Should the pet still wait at the start and the end a bit for it to give you a chance or would it just run right off.
2.) Could you hide to reverse his movement or would that be a bad idea? Like hiding anywhere would cause him to go back the original way?
3.) How much faster should it move, and should it run that speed the whole time or should it be even faster after he has spotted you the first time?

But brilliant idea, and I definitely want to work it in! Especially on the squirrel level where that bugger is hard to find! =)

Also if I did that, then I think killing the Prey anywhere would make sense as you would basically be trapping him in the level. I think it might be a bit glitchy originally working out killing the squirrel and creatures when they jump, but it would make sense to trap them. Like I said though, should I just be removing the final stall in the levels or would they just hang out there if they haven't spotted you?
But yeah, I could just reduce the experience given on the rabbit based on how far its ran or on how many eggs you have. Right now experience works like this. 5 for killing the prey + 1 x Current Level for each egg. So level one is 15 for all, level 2 is 25. I could just make the prey worth less early in the level.

So yeah, if you have any more ideas for how wrangling the prey in would work, then please let me know. The main part that I am confused about now is how the beginning and the end of levels would work. Would the prey just run right of the screen or would there still be stall room?

Thanks,
Dan
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 05:53:55 AM »

I'm afraid I won't be writing a full review on this as I didn't like it enough to warrant one, I will however leave this post with some feedback.

- The "RPG" tag is not entirely justified, yes there is a basic levelling system, but this is a platformer
- The timed aspect of the prey running is quite cool, however, there were many occasions when enemies knocked me into the path of the prey, causing it to bolt
- The knockback from wildlife is far too high, especially from birds, an HP system would work well here, but it is such bs when you get knocked off a tree by a bird passing through it...
- The achievements are a nice addition, but full of grind and not very varied
- Having to replay the same level over and over until you complete it is annoying, maybe add shorter easier side-levels, or break the big ones up, or add a path, giving the game some element of choice
- I do like the music, and the art style, very much so
- The menus and overall feel of the game are also nice

So with some minor changes, this could be a very good game, hope you didn't thank that was too harsh.
jimmythechang
Level 0

wait this isn't air IT'S BEES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »

So I like the environmental trigger idea, where you can add roadblocks or stops to distract the prey. But what would these be in your mind? Knocking branches over? Do you have any ideas that would work for this?

Branches would work. You could knock branches or rocks off a tree above to stun the prey when it passes below. Alternately, you could block off a route the prey might take and force it to take a longer path.

1.) Should the pet still wait at the start and the end a bit for it to give you a chance or would it just run right off.
2.) Could you hide to reverse his movement or would that be a bad idea? Like hiding anywhere would cause him to go back the original way?
3.) How much faster should it move, and should it run that speed the whole time or should it be even faster after he has spotted you the first time?

1.) Why not have the prey start in the middle of the level? I'd say not to let the prey stall at the ends.
2.) If you're going to reverse the prey's movement, you should physically have to scare it in the opposite direction. Hiding would be too easy.
3.) It should move fast enough that the player has to frequently switch between hunting eggs and herding the prey back in the opposite direction. Speeding up the prey while you're in close proximity is still a good mechanic, but the prey could slow down once you've left its immediate vicinity.

i'll do better next time i swear

http://jimmythechang.com
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 12:44:12 PM »

The game has completely adorable graphics and music, I like that. But I stopped playing at the second level for it is too hard for me, I found 7 eggs at best but basically I'm never neat enough to memorize the whole level - Have you thought about showing the direction to the next egg?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic