Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 05:50:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingIlopocalypse (v0.3.x) PANORAMA_ALPHA3
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ilopocalypse (v0.3.x) PANORAMA_ALPHA3  (Read 1760 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »

DOWNLOAD HERE
Grab the one labelled "PANORAMA_ALPHA3", unless you want the impossible-to-play-on-anything-stronger-than-a-P3 buggy version with no graphics.

So, I did ludumdare this time, but with under 16 hours of total development time for the competition, I was somewhat doomed to fail. Regardless, I pressed o- blah blah blah screenshot:

It's a platformer, you run around and try to not die for as long as you can.

Still alpha version, but stable enough for some sort of play. I'm aware of a lot of bugs, but if you get anything unexpected, I'd love to hear about it. There's probably about 30 hours of time put into this now, which I'm kind of happy about (at the same time I wonder why I couldn't do it in 20, it's simple as anything)

You'll need love from love2d.org to play it, When I do the release I'll include the runtimes for windows and linux, and maybe OSX if I can be bothered dicking about with the weird packaging system, but it's simple enough to set up yourself.

Keen to hear what you guys think, general feedback is fine, bug reports are great, feature requests will be considered.

From DataRealms, on the future:
Quote from: geti
If I do keep working on it past the PANORAMA release (with the 3 todo items in the readme completed) I'll start adding things like [digging and possibly collectables], maybe being able to construct blocks if you mine out some form of stone, and probably make pirates spawn from ships to plunder your base. Regardless, it's intended as a short-lived timewaster, as an aside from my normal huge projects that eat time and don't get finished. I'm trying so hard not to feature creep it, haha.
Someone also wants split screen multiplayer, which I'm considering...

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:52:09 PM by Geti » Logged

Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »

Alright, downloaded it, played it.
The game looks to be a lot of fun.  I like the random island(s) and the graphics are good.  Very nice job with meteors coming down, nice effects and speed with them meteors.

Looking forward to some sound and a little more challenge once you find a decent hiding spot.  Nice job with the Alpha, Geti.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 01:50:27 AM »

This alpha is about getting the graphics sorted out, so I'm glad you like them. I'm not sure weather to go all out on it and get digging, construction, pirate attacks etc in, as it's intended as more of a quick pick up and play game than anything with proper depth, to keep it simple. I definitely need to make some stuff outside that would coax the player out of their safe haven.. Any ideas would be lovely Wink I'm not sure weather to put points etc into it or not.

Also: on the more long term list are Multiplayer Versus and Cooperative modes, where in co-op you don't harm each other and versus you do. Maybe versus would also have a "PX wins!" dialogue.

Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »

I think that providing some incentive, like collecting iron from fallen meteors (increase points, build some more hideout, ammo, armor, maybe gain health), would encourage a player to leave a hideout.  Or you could sick pirates on the player if he hides to long.  Or you could have meteors form craters and make new formations upon the land for players to hide in.  Already some times little nooks and crannies are left for the player to hide in from meteor impacts, but mostly the meteors level the island leaving little cover, which could be what you are aiming for.  The meteors are very cool, they are the largest threat to the player at this time.

I think you are taking a good approach in developing the game.  Get a kind of alpha/prototype going, see what the game-play/mechanics lends its self towards and inspires you towards.

PS
I really like cooperative games.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

(is there a Co-op game thread here? maybe I/we need one...)

Edit: I thought the wall jumping was a little odd at first, now I like it.  One can jump quite high out of 'chutes' (pits), and wall jumping helps ALOT with traversing the terrain.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:38:07 AM by BigLon » Logged

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »

Ilopocalypse reminds me of good "old" times playing clonk. I love it.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »

the problem with wall jumping at the moment is that the amount you can "chimney jump" out of 1 tile wide tunnels is largely dependant on how fast your processor is. That's the main thing I need to fix, bug wise. I just need to paint up one or two more background layers before I'll consider the graphics complete, and do a menu, and then I'll consider the panorama milestone complete. I honestly haven't looked at the code in a week or so though, busy with other things.. The meteors making pickups is an interesting idea.
Ilopocalypse reminds me of good "old" times playing clonk. I love it.
Very happy to hear that Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic