Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Onsku

May 13, 2024, 10:03:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe 23rd PoV
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The 23rd PoV  (Read 1148 times)
finn523
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »

I've been working on a game for a while and I am finally feeling like my demo is ready. My art work and music are taken from different places.  I didn't plan for this game to be a Touhou fan game, but the sprites from there worked so well for my needs.  I would love to replace them it with original art, but lack the ability to do so.  I will hopefully have an artist in the near future to help.  

The demo in its current form can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?my4mgttmkoj
If you try to run it and display is messed up, please try running the 23rdBackup.exe instead of the normal one. If the game does not work for anyone, please let me know so I can take steps to fix it.

The controls are explained in game, but the debug controls are not mentioned.
z is used to got back to town as though you had lost a battle.
numpad 1-8 will jump to the corresponding level.
Also, its a huge pain to play the tutorial more than once.  If the game crashes and you restart, just use numpad 1 to skip past them.

Some in game screen shots:

Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 3:

Level 5:

Town:

Explaining the game is something I have struggled with. Its kind of like an SRPG, but in real time. My goal is to have different levels, and each level has multiple solutions. A good build for a certain stage will allow the player to progress past the stage, but a bad build will make the stage very hard. I feel like I got that down very well. Each stage can be completed in different ways.

There are currently 12 levels. The first 4 are the tutorial stages, and next 5 are the "easy mode" stages. These stages are there to give the player a feel for the game. The last 3 stages are the "hard mode" stages. I don't intend for everyone to be able to beat those, but about half of my focus testers were able to make it to stage 8.

I plan to have a bunch of levels. How many? I don't know right now. I can generally make a level in anywhere from 10 minutes, to a few hours depending on what I need to do for it. I plan to have a randomly generated dungeon creator in the near future.

I can speed the run the demo in about 15 minutes, but most people take about 2 hours to complete it.

I have a story in mind, but I am unsure what will happen with that. I am in desperate need of art help(which I will talk about in a post below), so I don't know what I will do. I don't plan for this game to be a Touhou fan game, but if I can't get custom art, I will be forced to scavenge the art I do have available. So, depending on my art situation my story will change.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:00:19 PM by finn523 » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »

Welcome to the forums!

Don't forget to introduce yourself on the appropriate thread : )

(also, you know that you can embed images directly, right?)

Downloading now : )
finn523
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:43:57 PM »

Thanks!

I tried embedding them, but they are too large and make the screen scroll annoyingly.
increpare
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:51:06 PM »

I tried embedding them, but they are too large and make the screen scroll annoyingly.
you can insert a width property (quote this post to see it)

increpare
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »

I seemed to get stuck on the second screen forever attacking those two dudes.
finn523
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »

Thanks for the tips about the image stuff.  I modified my post to have that.

The tutorial should have mentioned attacking the guy on the right, not the left.  Did the tutorial not come up, or did the game actually freeze?
increpare
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »

Thanks for the tips about the image stuff.  I modified my post to have that.

The tutorial should have mentioned attacking the guy on the right, not the left.  Did the tutorial not come up, or did the game actually freeze?
Oh okay I was attacking the person on the left.  I didn't read the text too closely.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic