Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 01:37:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDon't Blow Up the Bomb!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Don't Blow Up the Bomb!  (Read 2292 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »

Don't Blow Up the Bomb is a rather experimental game. Move the green diamond using WASD and interact with the playfield by moving the mouse.

Information and download here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:13:10 PM by _Madk » Logged
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:04:31 PM »

Screens, a description, etc. would really help get some attention.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:49:37 PM »

This game needs to be at least three times as fast to start being interesting.
 Yawn

hi
pepprsam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:47:15 AM »

Some things I think would help this game: 

1) A timer someplace so the player knows how long he has been playing, or maybe a score (that is visible while playing).  It's hard to want to beat your score if you only see it when you lose.

2)  Maybe the bomb would speed up after a while, to make getting a higher score possible.  It's way to easy now.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:39:01 PM »

Way too easy? If you stick to the game for a few minutes, the difficulty does start to increase. I've never gotten 4,000 points.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 09:49:34 PM »

The problem is that it takes a few minutes to even get to the interesting part (which I guess I haven't gotten to yet).  I played for about four minutes and all I did was skirt around the edges.  I moved the mouse around a little and it seemed to have an effect on the particles in the background, but no discernable effect on the bomb or player, so I just left the mouse in the center.  After four minutes of running around the edges I just ran into the bomb since it was getting boring.

It seems like the only point is to avoid the bomb, and plenty of great games have been made just out of avoiding something, but something has to happen here before it's enjoyable.

hi
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:27:17 AM »

Part of this game is discovery, and you have not yet discovered anything.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 04:42:37 AM »

Interesting game. I couldn't really figure out what to do with the particles. The first time I played I had a lot of particles and they seemed to explode upon collision, but with no obvious effect. The second time there were barely any.

I want to know if a few things were intentional. I got a game over without colliding with the bomb. Also, what is the purpose of turning the light on and off with spacebar?

Lastly, you should consider being more receptive to the criticism of others. This is the feedback forum, after all.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 01:37:17 PM »

Part of this game is discovery, and you have not yet discovered anything.
You have to understand that everyone who plays your game and doesn't discover anything (or know there is anything to discover) is going to quit after a minute.  It doesn't matter how brilliant your secrets are if no one is going to stick around to find them.

hi
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »

The second time there were barely any.
This is a bug.

I want to know if a few things were intentional. I got a game over without colliding with the bomb. Also, what is the purpose of turning the light on and off with spacebar?
This was an experiment to do something with the graphics, but it didn't work out. I forgot I'd left it in there.

I'll be uploading a new version shortly that makes it a bit more obvious how to score points and the difficulty will increase more quickly.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »

Ok, I made several fixes, additions, and improvements that should really increase the overall quality of the game. Please redownload using the same link.

Also, I have some good ideas for incorporating music into my game, but my computer's sound is broken. ;(
Maybe I'll be able to add it sometime later.
Eraser
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »

Well my high score was about 3k. I'm still not sure if I fully understood how I was supposed to play, but I guess I was at least close enough.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic