Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 01:03:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCubelogic : Puzzle Game Prototype
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cubelogic : Puzzle Game Prototype  (Read 1152 times)
Rémi
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2010, 05:21:31 AM »

Hi! I'm Rémi, a french student in internship at Ideonic Limited.

We have conceived some prototypes around the "rotating cube" idea to make a puzzle game!

The original idea is that you can follow all of the design processes throughout our blog (I recommend you start from the beginning!).

We need your opinions to create a great game :
please comment on the different prototypes and tell us your favourite game idea.

You can test all of the prototypes HERE :
http://cubelogic.tumblr.com/

We wait for your comments!  Wink

Thanks.

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »

These were some fun puzzle games, I enjoyed them. It's always great when a game finds new ways to use it's existing mechanics, so many of these I could see being put together in the same game. As for critiques, I felt like it would be nice to choose which direction the character goes when it comes to a junction, and make it stop or go when I want it to. I thought the tetris-style block shapes were sometimes hard to rotate, since I'm only given two axises to use at a time, and the arrows don't always point in the most intuitive direction. For the single white blocks, I wasn't sure why I could rotate them to some places, but not other places that seemed just as logical. Those are the big things, otherwise, I liked them quite a bit. I think my favorite puzzles involved the locks and keys.
Rémi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:50:07 AM »

Thanks for your comment.  Smiley

The tetris shapes rotations is really a problem : I don't know how to design an easy solution to rotate this kind of block (maybe the same stuffs that are in 3D Modeling softwares to do rotations).

For the white blocks, the rotation allowed are 90 degrees rotation using other cube as pivots.

For the intersections, I will maybe add some blocks with an arrow on them to force the character to go in a certain direction.

Other feedback will really help to improve our game! Grin
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 02:08:40 AM »

I enjoyed the art style, especially the aquatic style, the atmospheric perspective of which helped with depth perception and relative placement. In the other levels it is sometimes difficult to see how blocks are placed relatively to each other since there are no shadows or other spatial queues.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic