Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 04:34:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRidiculous Redneck Rampage (Collaboration with QOG)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ridiculous Redneck Rampage (Collaboration with QOG)  (Read 1955 times)
3dpursuit
Level 0

My name is Ed, Freeware Dev.

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »

Ridiculous Redneck Rampage is a collaborative project between myself and QOG (http://quiteoddgames.blogspot.com/). It's still in development, and at this point you can only advance to the second boss.

Move: directional keys
Shoot: Z
Change weapon: Shift

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/shooter/ridiculous-redneck-rampage/2432/
or
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/128542-ridiculous-redneck-rampage

Feedback appreciated.

New Jersey Freeware developer. Prefers creating exploration & Puzzle platfomers.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »

It's fun, but obviously its not really finished yet.  The different weapons add a nice smidge of strategy to it which I like.  A couple of comments for you to consider as you continue to develop this:

- At the moment, it is not apparent which edges of the screen are traversable, which will block you and which will kill you.  You should really make this obvious.
- I love a nice screen-shaking effect but coupled with the lack of contrast between platform and non-platform it makes it difficult to tell what's going on for a second.  It also sometimes seems to happen for no reason (near the spinning blades, for instance)
- Grenades explode when they go off-screen.  Since this can possibly kill you, it's a little unfair.
- Using shift to cycle through weapons takes too long, and it can be quite hard to see what weapon you actually have equipped.
- Could do with some more/different sound effects (i.e. a bullet hitting something should sound different to a grenade hitting something, the flamethrower should not be silent, some music would be nice, etc.)

Hope some of this was helpful!

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 09:34:41 AM »

I love the look of the game and the weapon effects are real nice. Death animations are also pretty cool.

Some things were odd to me, such as the falling spikes. I had no idea they were going to fall on me. Also the bouncing enemy gets stuck under a low ceiling sometimes and he won't move. The boss fight could also use a bit more movement.

Screen shake was also too frequent and too shaky. Kinda made me sick.
3dpursuit
Level 0

My name is Ed, Freeware Dev.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »

Thanks guys. We're gonna take in all the feedback from here, YoYo, Poppen, GameJolt and Braingale and make it even better!

New Jersey Freeware developer. Prefers creating exploration & Puzzle platfomers.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »

I like the graphic style and the effects, the weapon variety and all.

I agree with what Pleonasm had to say. I should add that, as much as I like the screen-shaking effect, it is a bit over-used. It shouldn't be used when you are hit as you can't react well because you can't see clearly.

Since graphics are so small I found myself constantly confusing corpses with mines. I know color is clearly different (and shape too) but that was my initial reaction.

Also there are some parts where you place platforms too close to the upper part of the screen, so when you jump you get to the next screen and the fall back again to the original screen, apparently with no purpose at all.

Also, gaps will take you to another screen or will kill you? You shouldn't have both, instead put lava, spikes, or anything else.

I hope this has gamepad support and an alternative jumping button and not just the up arrow. Smiley

Just my 2 cents, constructive criticism  Smiley this is shaping up to be a good one! Keep it up! Also, I don't know if you are aware that there's already a game called Redneck Rampage? Would be wise to find a different name... Wink

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 07:52:09 PM »

Yeah, screen shaking's a bit much for me. Hurts me poor little head. Though, there's certainly a place for it! Just a really toned-down version.

Also, shaking for no reason = big guy nearby. It's a warning system!

I agree about explosions and offscreen. Just make the bullet fade out. Final complaint: using the shift key to scroll through weapons is a little tedious. Could you code the Number Keys to specific weapons? Would be nice!

Okay, the game itself is heaps of fun! Shooting dudes is very satisfying, the gibbing is cool, weapons are entertaining (though the rocket quickly became my Weapon of Choice) and there's some nice enemy and item variety. Love how the health bar bloods up when you kark it.

Go for broke!

Beer!
alspal
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 05:52:32 AM »

Nice game.
Your scanline effect isn't very nice though, the darker bands and lighter bands should be 1 pixel thick (rather than 2).
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 02:27:17 AM »

Good graphics style. It REALLY needs a 2x mode, it was waaaay to small for me on 1920x1080. Scanlines are nice. I can't distinguish between weapons just on the sprite. The push-back effect of the rocket launcher was a cool mechanics, but in reality they don't have recoil. Somewhat steep difficult step form the normal game to the giant sawblades. It is difficult to see what's dangerous. The effect or purpose of the pick-ups isn't clear.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic