Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 03:12:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAragami
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Aragami  (Read 38034 times)
xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 07:08:01 AM »

At last, here's the final Kickstarter concept art!

We are still aiming to launch next week Smiley

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »

Our Kickstarter campaign for Twin Souls: The Path of Shadows just got accepted! Yay!

We will work on some stuff this Monday and get ready for a Kickstarter launch this Tuesday!   Beer!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »

About time! Been waiting to give you guys some $$.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »

Going to share some more Screenshots before the Kickstarter. Enjoy!

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »

We are launching the Kickstarter tomorrow! Wish us luck..

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 10:44:20 AM »

The Kickstarter project is live:

http://kck.st/1nbhCRR

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »

Awesome, good luck!!!  Grin

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »

I think I was like the third or fourth backer, lol. Good luck! Once the press starts getting the word out, I expect the funding will start coming in fast

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 03:08:47 AM »

Looks amazing. The only thing that bothers me is that there seem to be consistently too few syllables in this, what I assume to be a gibberished or generated language, for each sentence translated into English, for it to come off to me as a realistic language. Sure, foreign sentences can be surprisingly short for their translations sometimes, but not in every sentence. Just my feeling. :p

(this is where you tell me this is actually a real language and make a fool out of me)

BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS GORGEOUS. BEST OF LUCK.

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 05:24:47 AM »

Actually, it does has sense!

We wrote the script in English and then Two Feathers, the composers, translated it to Swedish. From Swedish they reordered the syllables and... that's it, a made up language haha

The whole process is better explained in their blog here: http://twofeathersstudio.com/twin-souls-the-voice-of-yamiko/

Thanks a lot for the good wishes :D

PS: Also, we reached $10,000 in less than 48h! OH YEAH!  Toast Left

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »

We wrote our first update talking about Stretch Goals, console development and Assassins' Masks among other stuff.

Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/linceworks/twin-souls/posts/882845

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 07:14:28 AM »

Actually, it does has sense!

We wrote the script in English and then Two Feathers, the composers, translated it to Swedish. From Swedish they reordered the syllables and... that's it, a made up language haha
Wonder where all the syllables went then (I'm Swedish), but it sounds neat, anyhow!

The whole process is better explained in their blog here: http://twofeathersstudio.com/twin-souls-the-voice-of-yamiko/
Gotta love pretty and informative blog updates like this tho.

Thanks a lot for the good wishes :D
Thanks a lot for the good work. c;

PS: Also, we reached $10,000 in less than 48h! OH YEAH!  Toast Left
Keep going! Coffee

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 09:03:56 AM »

There's a new Kickstarter Update in which we talk about Character Design. I'll crosspost here.

Aragami (derived from Japanese 荒 ara, meaning raging or vengeful, and 神 kami, meaning spirit or deity) is Twin Souls' shadow assassin.

We followed an iterative process to design the Twin Souls' protagonist. We wanted an assassin with an oriental (or ninja-like) feeling to it, but also something that could be out of this world, or at least something not from the realm of the living.

During its conception, multiple attempts were made to get the ultimate shadow assassin. We took some extreme art directions before getting to the definitive concept. The first tests depicted an assassin with arabic influences, or a totally different take with a futuristic assassin in plate armor.

We felt that we needed a more 'ninja-like' assassin. We love Japanese mythology, and decided to make Twin Souls' world akin to ancient Nippon tales, so our character definitely agile and aggressive. Dangerous.

One last concerns were the 'humane' look of him. Aragami is an undead assassin born from the shadows. His visage (or lack of it) should mark him as a stranger to the living. We decided to totally hide his face and create the Mask of the Assassin, the mask that Aragami wears on his shoulder (and on his face in the future).

The clothes for the final concept are also of huge importance.

Furēku (scale) is Aragami's dragon armor. It belonged to the legendary warrior Ryûta, a member of the Guild of Darkness 'Dâkudagâ'. Aragami's armor and scarfs interact with Aragami's reserves of Shadow Energy, glowing stronger according to Aragami's current power. Aragami's scarf serves as a HUD-less interface, so the player can see every moment how much Shadow Energy is left, which Shadow Powers are available (in the future) and also the player's visibility state.

Kiba (fang) is Aragami's serpent sword. It belonged to the warrior Orochi, companion of Ryûta. Kiba's proportions are similar to a Japanese Wakizashi, as Aragami needs a flexible and quick weapon to achieve his assassinations.

The Mask of the Aragami is the player's first unlocked Assassin Mask. We already talked about Assassins' Masks in a previous update, and we'll talk more about them in the future.

Turning Aragami from a concept into a 3D model is not an easy task, and there's still a lot of work to do. In the following months we will iterate over our model proportions and animations with the help of our backers.

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »

Some new stuff on the Twin Souls Kickstarter, mostly about Assassins Masks.

Xtra Mile
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »

Looks fantastic. All the best with the Kickstarter. I'll be following this one!

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 11:26:27 PM »

Quite some new stuff since the last devlog update.

Level Editor

I'm prototyping a new level editor for Twin Souls. The idea is to create a new game mode akin to Metal Gear Solid VR Missions (but with a more.. 'magical/dark' aesthetics.

It's got the be minimalistic. Create a level layout, place guards and patrol routes, light sources and objectives (mostly). It's very early to say if it will work, but right now my only concern is the placing of navigation meshes. The vanilla Unity nav meshes are baked, but we are using the RAIN plugin, so I think we can create them in real time. We'll try to find a way anyway.

In the future it would be cool to save/load level designs from a binary or a XML format, and share them with the community (Steam Workshop?). I think it would add a lot of value to the game.

World

In one of the latest updates we talk a bit about the world of Twin Souls and the scale of your journey. I will just write here the link to the update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/linceworks/twin-souls/posts/897613

Console Development

This was our big announcement. We are currently testing builds on Xbox One, and we expect to test everything on Wii U and PS4 on the following months. Unity is behaving quite happily with the XBONE dev kit, so I'm optimistic about the other environments.

There's a new pledge level for getting console keys which also includes a new character skin.

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 07:49:21 AM »

Just started a Development Log on Youtube!

In the first episode we show NEW gameplay footage, light powers and the level editor Smiley

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 03:02:02 AM »

It's been a month since the last update, so I wrote a Kickstarter Post-Mortem on our website. You can check it out here: http://twinsoulsgame.com/ks-postmortem/

The game's still being worked on actively. We are using all the feedback from the campaign and doing the proper modifications to the project. We've just switched our art pipeline from Autodesk SoftImage to Autodesk Maya as we had issues with the character rigging and animations.

We are also redesigning the character, as the current one didn't fulfill expectations. We've made public a concept art for when Aragami is in the shadows.

Finally, there's been heavy development on the Level Editor (now named The Void). Steam Workshop integration and its own game mode.

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 03:15:42 AM »

The art looks amazing  Grin

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 04:20:44 AM »

There's been some heavy work this month fixing the issues found on the Kickstarter footage.

Character Design

Here's the new Aragami Character Concept revealed some weeks ago. Some of its perks:
  • A lot more little details like loose cloth pieces, belts, ragged cloth, etc. The main scarf and loose clothes will feature cloth physics.
  • More contrasts and color variety. The old character was almost fully grey, there's now more bright colored details all around the body.
  • Less emissive details by default (they'll be active mostly when the character's hidden).
  • Only one scarf to simplify UI design and be more friendly to cloth physics.
  • More realistic proportions to enable better transition from motion capture animations.

The transition to 3D model requires a technical T-Pose concept:

And finally, the 3D models:

There's still some work to do fixing some errors with the texture UVs (like the missing emissions on the leg protections) and the emissive runes/scarf design, but this is really close to what we want.

We are now focused on adding the all new motion capture animations (which should be done by the next 2 or 3 weeks) and adding cloth physics to the 'scarf' and the different loose cloth pieces.

Oh, and here's a test on Sketchfab: Aragami 2.0 by Lince Works on Sketchfab

About the scarf design: We want the scarf runes to convey the character's remaining Shadow Energy. Similarly, enemy guards will feature similar runes to show their available Light Energy to cast powers. Shadow Energy recharges while staying in the shadows, enemy Light Energy recharges by staying near a strong light source (like a bonfire or a torch).

The new scarf features some 6 slots surrounding another big slot in the middle. We'll talk a bit more about this in the future but mainly, each slot will contain a single use of an Advanced Shadow Power, while the middle slot tells the player which is the currently selected Advanced Shadow Power. We may iterate over this design in the future.

Lighting Model

Remember how when the new Zelda Wind Waker HD was announced everything looked more.. "next-gen"? Well, the greater resolution and post fx like Bloom sure helped a lot.. but something people really didn't notice was the new lighting model.

Both games use cel shading (there's no light gradient from the angle of light hitting the polygon faces), but the point lights behave differently. In the original Wind Waker there's no light attenuation: every polygon inside the light radius is fully lit, and a polygon outside is not lit. In Wind Waker HD there's an attenuation gradient that softens everything.

In Path of Shadows and until now in Twin Souls we've used the original Wind Waker approach, but we've finally decided to switch to the 'HD approach' while maintaining a clear distinction of what geometry is being lit by the point light and which is not. We will stick to this approach for a while and see if it works out with the game's aesthetic.

There's no color correction on the 2nd screenshot, but I wanted you to notice the difference between the light models.
We've also lighten up everything, as that was one common among between users.

First Boss: Hikaru

Revealing our first Boss! In Twin Souls there's no 'Boss Battles' as we may know from other games, since the notion of a head to head fight in a Stealth game is not really coherent. Instead, Boss Battles in Twin Souls would be better defined as Boss Scenarios (like some Arkham Series battles, or Mark of the Ninja).

Hikari is an expert swordman who carries a Light Energy storage on his back, making him extremely dangerous. We are not spoiling how the boss battle will work, but it will require some planning and finding a way to gradually weaken Hikari and make him vulnerable.

Other Stuff

There's not much else to show right now. There's work on game menus and PC graphic options as seen in these screenshots:

We are also redesigning our Mission Editor tools to be much more powerful and retain the aesthetics of the rest of the game; that means any player will be able to create missions in graveyards, forests or the city with a big variety of assets (both functional and just for aesthetics). You'll be able to modify terrain, place walls, bridges, rivers, trees, particle systems, etc..

I'll write again when there's something interesting to show, thank your for reading! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:59:07 AM by xdavidleon » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic