Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 08:43:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAlterworld - FPS Looter-shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Alterworld - FPS Looter-shooter  (Read 243 times)
Alternalo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2024, 11:05:04 AM »

Greetings!

I'm working on this game as a solo dev, and i hope you can give me some feedback on it's current state.

As the story is nowhere finished atm, the main goal is to kill the Void Lord which is a leader of the alien invasion, and who can be accessed though a portal which occasionally appears after finishing off a named enemy at the end of each accessible level.

You can combine gunfight with the use of magic, find rare loot and enchant your equipment with powerful abilities to stenghten your build.

The game was heavily inspired by Hellgate: London, and old classics like DooM, Quake and Diablo.

Levels are randomly generated so your experience may change each time you play it. At first you'll start at a city themed level, but either you finish it, or save your character you can select another of the 3 available themes, and 2 more through rare events (bonus levels).

Screenshot:

Download the game at:
https://alternalo.itch.io/alterworld

Thanks for your feedback and i hope you'll enjoy playing it!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 10:47:53 PM by Alternalo » Logged
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 09:02:36 PM »

Hey Alternalo,

I played your game.

Here's what I liked:
- The story sounds interesting
- I like how creatures explode
- I like the inventory system and skill system
- The AI path finding is pretty good

What could use work:
- It looks like the only way to change weapons is a mouse wheel.  Not everyone has a mouse wheel
- I found some stuff by poking around.  Like the skill tree / level up system.  You might want to have a bit of a tutorial to teach this to the player.
- I found the inventory system.  I had a plasma pistol and didn't know it.
- I didn't have a lot of variety in my weapons.  I'd love to pick up some weird alien weapons.

You say that you are inspired by games like Hellgate: London and Doom.  The combat in your game feels off compared to those games.  This type of game lives or dies on it's combat so you have to get that right.  I ran into a few enemy types.
  - Aliens with big heads that fired rifles.  The bullets were hit scan, no slow moving projectiles
  - Small zombie like enemies that rushed in and did melee damage
  - Tall enemies that fired slower projectiles
  - Big hulking enemies that rushed in and did melee damage
This is a pretty good combination of enemies.  The aliens with the big heads felt a bit too tough.  Hit scan enemies should be very weak if your game is not going to emphasize cover.  The big hulking enemies pushed me back, but I was not in any real danger while backing up.

Game Makers Toolkit actually made a good video about Doom's combat:

I think your game has a TON of potential.  It needs some tweaking, but I think it could be great.  Nice job!
Alternalo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 08:44:14 AM »

Thank you very much for your feedback, i'll try to work on certain areas you mentioned.

I admit there is a lack of in-game info on how certain things work, most of the time i tried to explain things through visual cues but i get this doesn't help on finding your inventory, so i might add something similar what i did for showing that you have unspent points on your character sheet or skill sheet, just for recently picked items.

On mouse wheel you are completely right, there is no remapping atm, i might just add some alternative until it's done. At least you'll be able to remap your hotbar in the next version, which will also enable me to introduce new active skills too.

On hitscan enemies, well on my defense their damage can be mitigated by physical resistance and armor, but i get that they might be an issue early on.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic