Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 05:42:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDon't Look Back
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Don't Look Back  (Read 25762 times)
UltimateWalrus
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2009, 07:40:11 PM »

I still need to beat Another World. Great game.

Well make sure you play the high resolution PC version!  It looks amazing and is well worth the $9 the original author is charging for it.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »

Well, the dog can jump over you if you position yourself correctly, so he could have beaten at least it's first two patterns.

After playing this to the end my mind is blown and I think my hand is broken (this game is way too hard for me) but in fact if you're lucky you can beat the hound in the first two patterns. That was the only way I got past it...did I mention this was hard?  :D

eta: oh yes, and did I mention I played this through because it was worth it. Thanks Terry!
Radial
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »

What a beautiful game!
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »

I played it through, and I enjoyed it, great game!  Smiley
The soundtrack is also very moody, it reminds me to those Morricone western soundtracks for some reason...  Well, hello there!

eto.ethome.sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2009, 05:55:15 AM »

Amazing game, I couldn't go home until I finished it.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2009, 06:26:22 AM »

Finished it. Good stuff!
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2009, 06:39:22 AM »

Hey Terry!

Nice little plateformer you got there. Kinda simple tho and using many cliches. Not that its a bad thing but I was expecting something else when I saw the name of the game. Last game I played from you was the one with the numerous path to choose from and where you can't walk back to where you come from so I was in a mindset of something very different than a run 'n' gun thing.

Well, you use many classic challenges found in action plateformers. From the vanishing plateforms to the crumbling bridges and lights turning off, the basics ar epretty much all there. one thign tho, I find teh game to be very slow paced which can make it a bit frustrating sometimes since many challenges you offer are quite tricky. Of course, you can retry endlessly but still, it can become irritating.

Otherwise, it's simple and it fits the minimalist direction you wanted to go with. So good job!

Take care!

BankBank
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2009, 07:25:29 AM »

excellent game. great simple graphics, interesting audio that adds to the game, just the right amount of challenge and length. great feeling of progression, and that addictive "Just One More Screen" feeling.

great work!  Gentleman
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2009, 09:31:48 AM »

I still need to beat Another World. Great game.

Well make sure you play the high resolution PC version!  It looks amazing and is well worth the $9 the original author is charging for it.
Whoa thanks!

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Chentzilla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »

Is there only one ending to it?
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »

No, there's a second if you beat it without dying. Smiley

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Cray
Level 0

can't upload an avatar :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »

You're mean!

(Unless it's actually true - then Terry is Smiley)

▓█▓ rpg maker vx
▓█▓ cemetery manager
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »

WARNING: Minor spoiler.

I have no idea if you're kidding or not, but if you aren't, I'm afraid such an accomplishment is beyond the reach of this mere mortal. Smiley I can see it being possible- I can take out the bosses without being killed, and do much of it flawlessly, but there's always a platform, somewhere that takes me out. A couple of scenes are also pretty hard.

I did try a playthrough without looking back a single time after you find Eury, though I did die repeatedly. It didn't make a difference- the ending was the same.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 02:31:25 AM by Garthy » Logged
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »

NO NO NO There is no secret ending Angry

(if you think about the point of the game, a second ending doesn't make any sense)

Also, I don't say this nearly enough, but, well. I <3 TIGS Smiley Thanks for the comments!

Have you ever played Monuments of Mars, or Another World?  Somehow this game reminded me of them... even though it doesn't have much in common with them other than general "atmosphere."

I've played both, but not extensively - I remember playing the first chapter of MoM years and years ago and liking it a lot, but I barely remember it. I remember liking Another World visually a whole lot, but getting stuck after you escape and giving up Sad

Only bit I didn't like is the very end.  I think if you're going to stray from the standard ending of the myth (which is a good decision imo) then being so vague seems hrm.  Obviously this is a matter of personal taste, but it was unsatisfying to me.  Felt artsy for the sake of being artsy without saying anything concrete.

I'd argue that the game says something very concrete - although a lot of people seem confused about what's happening at the end, and I'm not sure why... Perhaps I coulda used a little more ham like aeiowu suggested, heh. But at this point, it is what it is.

From experience, in order to keep your game developer sanity. DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING KONG USERS SAY!! God, i wish i knew how to turn bugreports and shouts off..they have no respect for developers, and when they try to make suggestions its hillarious. NG reviews are much more helpful.

Heh, well, they're not the worst batch of comments I've had...

Terry can you please PM me(or say here), how much the exclusive sponsorship was? Im interested to know for a game like this, and in the flash industry it helps immensely knowing what other games are getting sponsored for.. in return ill let you know how much a few of my games have gone for, and reccomed some nice sponsors ive dealt with. Thanks!

Sure, I'll send a PM in just a minute Smiley

OH ALSO- ive had 1 or 2 people complain that the run keys in my games toggle.. its just the setup their using messes with the Actionscript or something.. i have not found a fix. i dont think its worth looking, its THEIR pc that is the problem.

Yeah, I gave up trying to fix that... couldn't even find a starting point in my code to give me something to work with Sad

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »

OF COURSE NOT Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »

Nah there's not a secret ending, that'd ruin it.

SPOILERS

The point of the game is that when someone dies, you should face reality and accept it instead of making a distraction for yourself; because no matter how much you immerse yourself in imaginary worlds, a dead person stays dead in real life and you're going to have to deal with it sooner or later.

A side-note, which I don't think the author intended, is that the people who keep trying again to get a different ending are never gonna make any progress, like in real life.

That's what I think anyway. Can someone please confirm this? Cos I've never heard of any o this greek mythology shite all you guys are talkin about.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »

Nah there's not a secret ending, that'd ruin it.

SPOILERS

The point of the game is that when someone dies, you should face reality and accept it instead of making a distraction for yourself; because no matter how much you immerse yourself in imaginary worlds, a dead person stays dead in real life and you're going to have to deal with it sooner or later.

A side-note, which I don't think the author intended, is that the people who keep trying again to get a different ending are never gonna make any progress, like in real life.

That's what I think anyway. Can someone please confirm this? Cos I've never heard of any o this greek mythology shite all you guys are talkin about.
lol Well put like always I smell.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2009, 05:03:50 PM »

Haha, you bastard.

Nice work though Terry. I don't know why some are saying the game was too easy, I thought the difficulty was spot on. I loved the atmosphere of the game and thought that the all of the enemies were incredibly well thought out. The way some of the enemies bounced backwards after shooting them gave the game a very nice, twitch feel and a little room for some creative jump strategies. All in all A+ effort. Keep up the great work Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »

Good work, but just a little too frustrating for my tastes.
I made it to the first nearly full-screen boss who does all the attacks you've seen thus far.  I think I was only one shot away from killing him too.

I'm actually really disappointed; from what I'm reading, the ending is probably pretty cool and something worth contemplating.  Unfortunately, due to the difficulty, I won't be playing again.  Maybe I can catch a full play-through on youtube!
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2009, 02:30:30 AM »

(if you think about the point of the game, a second ending doesn't make any sense)

Actually, I thought it could be feasible, just a little cruel. Going from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheus

He really only got one shot to look back before Eury was lost. So I thought there's a chance that if you messed up once, you got a lesser ending. Only one life is a bit of a stretch, but without knowing the mind of the designer, who could tell? The theory could have been that once you die, you've been reduced to a ghost in form only, or perhaps imagination. That would make sense, I think. Besides, Cave Story did it.

But to be honest, I'm glad there is no "alternate" ending, the ending there is perfectly fine. Besides, I don't think you can play through that game without a single death short of mapping it out beforehand. Smiley

I don't understand the calls of "too hard" though. Some scenes were hard, but you could figure them out. Both bosses were quite easy once you got the pattern down. For example, the first boss is simply: walk up, wait, turn, fire, wait, turn, fire, step back, wait, jump over as he leaps, turn, fire. The only rooms that got me regularly were the ones where you drop into a pit with three creatures, the one with the two big guys, and the one with the vanishing wall. In fact, with unlimited lives (they were unlimited, weren't they?), I'd say it should have been *much* harder.

Still, thankyou for the fun distraction. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic