Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 02:10:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSanguinary
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sanguinary  (Read 1804 times)
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:41:03 AM »

It's boring nowadays, with no game of any value around. So, I made a game to amuse myself (that means the levels are procedurally generated). As such, I don't believe many people will like it, but there always is the possibility someone may enjoy it.
Of course, the reason I post is to get feedback. As you will realize, the game lacks a deep gameplay. If you have any ideas, no matter it would be hard or easy to implement (EXCEPT the graphics, for I don't really want them to change), please post them.
A screenshot:

Current Release:

Sanguinary 0.3 B: http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=60441

Oldest Release:

Mirror 1: http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=60324

Mirror 2: http://trialofnight.googlepages.com/MetempsychosisFirstRelease.zip

Controls are mouse, the hotkeys and the direction keys. Read the txt file and the tutorial picture before playing the game.

Note: Game name is now changed, since a similarly named game exists.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:54:12 PM by PDF » Logged
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:41:54 AM »

I'd suggest a name-change, maybe.

The game looks cool, will provide feedback after getting a chance to play it.

EDIT:

Alright, this game is awesome. Maybe it's just because I have a strange infatuation with procedurally generated anything, but I love it.

However, I've got some criticisms to make myself love it more.

Make the difference in difficulty between levels increase a lot. I got to level 5 and was regularly able to go into battle and my Life wouldn't even drop because I had the vampire trait mixed with a Soul stat that was at, like, 40. I suggest you make it so that regeneration never changes speeds. Also, I think resting shouldn't just increase your Soul, I think it should just heal you.

Also, combat seems really flat. Perhaps you could make it more similar to the old game Dungeon Explorer? Where you didn't swing a sword, you shot a sword at your enemies as a ranged weapon. So, maybe your game could have you shooting a weapon at first, then the weapon could change depending on traits you get. And enemies should have weapons of their own.

Also, I like the way the traits work, being randomly chosen so I can't just pick my favorite or most effective, but I think the game could benefit from having more trait-lists for more levels, and more balanced traits. The Engineer was way overpowered, since I could basically just press N a few times and have the level won. The Rogue could do for having the teleportation ability limited to a certain distance. The Vampire seemed weak, since I was able to kill everything I saw without a scratch on myself, but I did notice in earlier levels that Holy tiles often blocked paths which were impossible to avoid crossing in order to complete the level.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:18:10 AM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »

Thank you, vdgmprgrmr! The game now has an another name. I just hope this one is unique.

I finished a release which adds projectile weapons, however a bit buggy. You can check it right now!
There is no auto-attack anymore, and you will have to repeatedly press left click to attack. Also, I added potions to help the player a bit. There are some minor graphical improvements too. Also, there is a mode which allows you to choose the traits you wish to use. More in the readme.

Mirrors:
http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=60384

http://trialofnight.googlepages.com/SanguineFirstRelease.zip
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »

The graphics, I think, were better in the first version.

Also, I'd make it so that the projectiles don't disappear, and enemies will become alert whenever you hit them. Also, enemies should move more slowly, so the projectile system doesn't just become like the old system with added mouse-clicking. And enemies should collide with the player...

Also, you can move through the corners of walls, allowing you to walk through diagonal walls.

Also, the Rogue trait's timer doesn't work, you can use it as much as you want, even if the word doesn't appear at the side.

And I have a few suggestions; the Ancient Mariner's seraphs would do nice to heal the player more than they do now. Seraphs should be able to work like meat shields, be killable. Shade of Truth (or... you know... the one that sounds like that) is not really good for emergencies, it should heal more than it does, maybe it should heal half as much health as you're missing instead of have.

And you should never, ever start with a Mind stat of 1. Or 2. 3 is more acceptable, but still pretty bad.

Sorry if I seem like I'm trying to dictate what you do with your game or something...

EDIT: A bit more playing has changed my mind on a few things.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 06:18:16 PM by vdgmprgrmr » Logged
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »

Just a little concern here...
It felt really awkward using the arrow keys and mouse. Could you possibly add WASD support and remap the other skills that use some of those keys? And When I died it still displayed my skills and I could still use them. I also think there should be an option to flee battle, but at some cost, and maybe each unit should have a speed stat, or make speed a combination of all three stats or something, because I liked auto attacking but spamming the mouse wasn't very fun... and speed would add variance, which you need some of. One more variance you could use is semi-randomized attacking (like, base is 7, could do 4, could do 10) and critical hits to keep the player on their toes.
Yeah, and I don't want to dictate, either, but I think these would make the game that much cooler.

PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »

New release!

I polished the new system; wiping out all the bugs I was able to encounter. Also, all your suggestions but one was added (critical hits).

You can move using WASD, and you can hold the mouse button for auto-attack.

Also, I increased the difficulty. I hope it won't be much problem.

Sanguinary 0.3 B: http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=60441
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:02:44 PM by PDF » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic