Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411646 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 07:43:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 539292 times)
Seryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 12, 2010, 05:50:10 AM »

It'll still be a game of two dragons at 640x480, im not planning a RTSMMO full feature game Grin

Fire Breathers!
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 12, 2010, 06:10:52 AM »

yeah but i'm also saying it had better be good!

Hamletz
Level 1

rethinking the american game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1662 on: October 12, 2010, 02:58:02 PM »

i admire you podunkian i find your anti-establisment mentality and disregard for rules and authority refreshing
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1663 on: October 12, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »

and doesn't affraid of anything

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Hamletz
Level 1

rethinking the american game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1664 on: October 13, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »

i do not understand
BK-TN
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1665 on: October 28, 2010, 11:58:53 PM »

Continued working after a Minecraft apocalypse.

Currently progressing with TEH FINAL BOSS while livestreaming.

EDIT:

EDIT2:
Done, continuing to the game over screen and bugfixes
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:43:13 AM by BK-TN » Logged

Website | Twitter<br />ACTION-52-3F080CC2743
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: November 10, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »

Been a bit sense I posted, and I have to go to work so Ill make it quick.
Ninja Assault is coming along after a short lull caused by some rather annoying (but now fixed) bugs.
I have created a nice dynamic water effect for level 3, as well as finished up the first and second level, including the parallax layers and general fluff. I also heavily optimized the effects in the game, so the more system intensive stuff is frame rate dependent (meaning, it scales back things like particle effects and pixel displacement if the frame rate starts to drop low enough to be noticeable.)

I have yet to test it on a weaker machine, but on my box I am now getting a steady 50fps (well, really its 48-50 but that's not noticeable in the least,) in flash 10.1, as apposed to somewhere between 32-50 before.

I have another 2 levels planned, along with a few cut scenes, and I still need to make a menu, gameover screen, and implement multiplayer (The core logic of the game should already work, I basically just need to scale up the difficulty so that co-op isnt a cakewalk,) but the game is playable, and currently takes about 15~ minutes to play through the first two levels, assuming you never die.

Level 3 is going to be procedural, so it shouldn't take that long to implement, I just need to make some log sprites that don't look as awful as the current ones and slap on a victory condition, then get on with the last two levels (The original game only had 4 but the last level fairly obviously wasnt finished, and seemed to lead somewhere you couldnt go, so....)

Anyhow, I have to go to work, and then Im working on someones demo (meaning music, Im doing the whole producer/studio musician thing,) so I probably wont get around to any of that today, but I figured it had been toooo long without an update.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1667 on: November 11, 2010, 06:52:16 AM »

Makes since.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1668 on: November 11, 2010, 10:02:14 AM »

Bbrrryeeaap im still workin on Non Human... finished the title screen picture yesterday, am working on the tile set right now...

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1669 on: November 12, 2010, 07:00:22 AM »

Heres finished title screen and also new tile set

Whats left: Finishing hard mode title screen, detailing the map picture, putting in the new tiles in the levels, detailing hard mode final boss (hes all placeholder sprites right now, theres a lot to do here), detailing boss death animations (a lot to do here too), polishing some interface details, game end screen, and a bunch of details and little bugs to fix. I hope I can do all of that quickly, I really want to move on now

zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: November 13, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »

Jesus. Non Human is looking gorgeous. Keep up the good work.

On an unrelated note, working on 'level 3'...
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1289702200

I could really use some feedback. First and foremost, is it fun? Keep in mind that you cant win yet.
Other stuff Im wondering about includes...
1. What kind of frame rates are you getting on it? The water effect is slightly system intensive, so Im wondering how it handles on different box's (So, specs + frame rate would be nice) You can hit this key ->` to get the framerate.
2. Should I make the logs bigger on the y axis (y meaning z? z meaning y? I dunno man,) so that the jumps are easier?
3. Would it be better with enemy's included? Maybe some other level hazards?  Is pure procedural platforming complicated/good enough?
GZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1671 on: November 14, 2010, 12:45:18 AM »

Jesus. Non Human is looking gorgeous. Keep up the good work.

On an unrelated note, working on 'level 3'...
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1289702200

I could really use some feedback. First and foremost, is it fun? Keep in mind that you cant win yet.
Other stuff Im wondering about includes...
1. What kind of frame rates are you getting on it? The water effect is slightly system intensive, so Im wondering how it handles on different box's (So, specs + frame rate would be nice) You can hit this key ->` to get the framerate.
2. Should I make the logs bigger on the y axis (y meaning z? z meaning y? I dunno man,) so that the jumps are easier?
3. Would it be better with enemy's included? Maybe some other level hazards?  Is pure procedural platforming complicated/good enough?
Hey, I played this. I couldn't live for longer than 20 seconds, and then I had to refresh the browser to restart. I'm aware it's a beta, but it's hard to play / test a game when you die so quickly and are trying to get a hang of the game. To answer your questions:

1. Around 35FPS. I have a 3.4 GHZ pentium 4 (single core) and probably the cheapest PCI express card you can buy.

2. You could have different sized logs on the y plane and introduce the smaller ones as the level progresses. Right now the y movement is very fast and it's hard to land on them.

3. It really depends on the mechanics you want for this level. I think if you had enough variants with the level, like moving logs, more log variation, and a progressing difficulty on all generational aspects (smaller logs, harder jumps as you move forward). In the original game this was a pretty quick part, so it also depends on the length too. If it's just a short thing, you might not need a lot of bells and whistles.

Again, I'm aware it's a beta, but it makes it hard to test when you die so quickly:

- At the start the screen is moving and I always get crushed by hitting the edge of the screen. You could put the player in the center of the screen or not scroll until the player gives input.

- Sometimes I start off in the water and die right away. You should start off on solid ground when you start.

- Movement seems really zippy, especially on the y plane.

- The log generation seems messed up. Sometimes I had no log in front of me for an extremely long distance and it was tough to jump to the next. This could be made to increase in difficulty, so that at the start there are many logs, but far fewer as you progress.

- The logs sunk really fast. Maybe have the logs sink faster as you get further (progressive difficulty again). Same deal with the screen speed, it seemed too fast at the start and could probably start slow then speed up as you get the hang of it.

That's all I can think of. If you can't tell already, the big thing missing to me is progressive difficulty.

zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: November 14, 2010, 01:18:34 AM »

Stuff.... First off, probably should have mentioned you can hit esc to go back to the splash screen. Might have made things easier.

Now... for the addressing of other stuff...
Progressive difficulty will need to be a part of this without a doubt, as this is the portion of the game introducing the player (sort of,) to the platforming elements.

The frame rate you are getting is not ideal, but it is (just) above the point where it should cause noticeable slowdown, so Im not going to stress it to hard (Meaning, I might try and optimize my rendering a bit more but its not super high priority.)

I like the idea of the logs getting progressively smaller, for some reason I hadnt thought of that (I was just going to mess with the length of the jumps...) Im thinking I might expand that as well and make it more and more likely to have complicated jumps (first mostly straight lines, then diagonals, then three point jumps etc etc,) as the level progresses.

The logs sinking at different speeds as the thing progresses... doesnt really make sense from a physics stand point, but would be pretty good from a difficulty balancing stand point, so Ill definitely think about it (seeing as most of this game doesnt make sense from a physics stand point,) maybe the larger logs sink slower then the small ones? I can do the scrolling speeding up pretty easy, and that seems like a fairly interesting play mechanic so Im going to use that for sure.

Im a little bit confused by the starting in water and dying right away thing... theoretically that should never happen (meaning, in the code the first thing that happens when the level loads is a log is placed under the player) so Im wondering about what exactly is going on.... Is anyone else having this issue? Does the log just sink? Possibly before the level has fully faded in? (That would be annoying, and constitute a bug, just a different bug...) or, did the log simply never get properly placed?

Annnd lastly, I dont think I would even go so far as to call this a beta. Level 1 and 2 are probably somewhere around beta ready, this one doesnt even have the basic level generating procedure written (really, Im using a randomized timer and spawning logs at random y values, this will change,) but I figured I would check and see if this was even a good idea before I invested a bunch of time into it, because frankly Id be okay with giving the ninja a jet ski and making him fight ghandi (although then I have no level 4.)
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: November 15, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »

Double post for major update.

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1289840440
keep in mind esc still takes you back to the menu/restarts the level. Ill have a game over screen eventually, dont worry.

Also, if the logs stop appearing and all you can do is die, it means you beat the level, so dont worry about that.

Im thinking this works pretty well for the log level, any critiques are still welcome however, and I would love to hear what specs/fps you are getting.

Important question time! What is more awesome, jetski ninja or surf ninja? Im thinking Jetski Ninja would turn the game (briefly) into a side scrolling shooter (r-type comes to mind) and surf ninja would probably be something like canabalt, but with more intense jumps.
Surf Ninja wins for camp, but jetski ninja might be pretty fun too, so I really cant decide.
BK-TN
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1674 on: November 16, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »

Thrusters is what I'd call done, but it still needs beta testing.

http://bit.ly/9QHQXk

Tell me if you find any bugs. Also, you could eventually post your level, score and grade found on the Game Over screen, just for me to see if the grades are fair.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1675 on: November 17, 2010, 01:39:56 AM »

Tell me if you find any bugs. Also, you could eventually post your level, score and grade found on the Game Over screen, just for me to see if the grades are fair.

It runs okay for me (old XP laptop).

The moving and shooting feel good. The trails your ship leaves feel a bit strange; when you're moving sideways they go straight sideways, which is odd since your ship looks like it's moving forwards all the time. Also, maybe they are too bright compared to the ship?

The resolution is supposed to be 640*480 for all the Action 52 games.

Some enemies are annoyingly close to the sides of the screen. Your own ship can't get that close.

The first level is boringly empty, especially on the normal setting. And it would be good to have some enemies in patterns, rather than just individuals.

The motionless enemies don't stand out well from the background; maybe they could oscillate from side to side a bit?

The chunky low-res things in the game (your weapons and the text that sometimes shows up) work really well, I would say better than the high-res stuff. I think partly because they're bigger and bolder, and partly because they move in an interesting way. Have you considered blowing all the ships up in size to look more like the low-res stuff?

Edit: for the boss, it's not clear whether my shots are doing damage (I think they are, but the change to the health bar is too small to notice) and the shots from the boss's middle turret come from a point directly below the turret on the screen, even if it's firing at an angle.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:46:02 AM by Pishtaco » Logged

BK-TN
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1676 on: November 17, 2010, 06:07:56 AM »

It runs okay for me (old XP laptop). [...]

Thanks alot!

I'm fixing this along with a bug I found myself today. The beta file will be updated ASAP.

For the boring first level and the patterns: It wouldn't be hard, but definitly painful, since I've been working on this game for way too long. Are you sure that it's important?

And for the boss, the health bar shakes whenever you hit it. I did pay attention visual feedback when I made it, you propably just didn't notice it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:55:37 AM by BK-TN » Logged

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1677 on: November 17, 2010, 08:19:28 AM »

For the boring first level and the patterns: It wouldn't be hard, but definitly painful, since I've been working on this game for way too long. Are you sure that it's important?

I dunno.

Do you really need to have difficulty levels? Having the choice between them is maybe too much for a game of this nature.

And for the boss, the health bar shakes whenever you hit it. I did pay attention visual feedback when I made it, you propably just didn't notice it.

The first time around, I didn't even notice the health bar. I was looking at where my shots went.

BK-TN
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1678 on: November 17, 2010, 08:55:15 AM »

Updated.

-Screen size fixed
-Thruster flames fixed
-Something that I forgot
-Game Over on boss levels fixed

EDIT: Another update:

-Enemy rockets rotating speed doubled
-Bosses will 'blink' when hit, improving visual feedback

And incase you forgot the link, it's http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8978289/Thrusters.zip

EDIT2: I'd call it done. Released to the public  Smiley

Direct link since Dropbox is down atm: http://www.bk-tn.com/games/thrusters.zip
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:22:54 AM by BK-TN » Logged

Dragonmaw
« Reply #1679 on: November 20, 2010, 01:24:05 AM »

Been a while since I've posted. Been busy with other stuff, but I spent the last 3 days working on Slashers to semi-finalize it. I'll copy-paste the post I made on Tumblr.

---

It’s time to release Slashers! At least, the level 2 build. Make sure to read the instructions below if you don’t want to flounder about.

You can get it here

Arrow Keys, X, and C to control.

When in menu, X selects. When there’s no obvious option, pressing any key will advance the game.

Arrow keys: Move left and right.

X: Combat stance. While in combat stance, you can hold your sword in a direction by pressing the arrow keys (up-left, for example). You can also press C to do a short, invulnerable dash in the direction you are currently facing.

C: Jump. Jumping propels you forward and upward a set distance. YOU CAN NOT CONTROL YOUR JUMP IN ANY WAY EXCEPT FOR WHEN TO USE IT. THINK BEFORE YOU LEAP. Or don’t.

You can do a dash jump by starting a dash with X+C, then releasing X in the middle of the dash. This propels you farther than normal.

The enemies with swords must be blocked if you wish to avoid damage. You can block by swinging your sword in the same direction they do within a few seconds of the swing. They telegraph when they attack as well, so learn what means what.

The enemies in green shirts charge you. They are knocked back by sword hits. You can dash through them, and you run slightly faster than they do.

The enemies in blue shirts stomp at you, sending out damaging shockwaves. They are also knocked back by sword hits. Touching them does not hurt you, and you can dash through the shockwaves.

The end of the level is a door located on the far right, almost flush against the screen border. Touch it to win.

---

Currently, it's missing sound, music, endgame splash screens, a tutorial, and maybe a little variety.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic