Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 12:15:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFROG SORD
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40
Print
Author Topic: FROG SORD  (Read 112206 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:01 PM »

Toad Sord please

BATL TOAD SORD

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: April 28, 2014, 10:56:03 PM »

I prototyped an idea that plays somewhat similarity to FS today. I am also talking to a few key people about how to possible continue the project or the "spiritual successor" or whatever you want to call it.

Codestar
Level 1

One man, one game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: April 29, 2014, 07:17:12 AM »

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I actually like the raccoon design. In the end, it's more about how the game play rather than what the character looks like.

Check out my current game project:
Mine to the sky
Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 30, 2014, 07:02:35 PM »

Cry

Toad Sword does sound interesting though...  Blink
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #764 on: May 01, 2014, 07:12:05 AM »

And you cant use the same assets because why? Uncle Moneybags said no? Those are his pixels now?

Bandages
« Reply #765 on: May 21, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »

It's a cruel irony that intellectual property rights are supposed to protect the creators and make creativity more rewarding/possible, and yet the United States has insanely aggro IPR laws that make creation a constant uphill battle against litigation and the threat of lawsuit. (I'm making an assumption this all happened in the US and in accordance with their IPR laws)

Frog Sord was going to be a great game from the look of things. I'm really disappointed it got all tied up in red tape. I suppose this endeavor could be useful as a learning experience, but do you thank the thief that teaches you to lock your doors?
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: May 21, 2014, 10:39:33 PM »

Today there was talk of Frog Sord revival. The original team is on good terms and collectively we have the right to finish the project. Hunter and I have moved onto a new project that is unrelated and due to this, FS would need to continue with a different artist.

The team is somewhat unconvinced that a complete art overhaul is worth the investment. Funding would also be necessary for the completion of the project. I guess I am just saying that the IP woes and what not are somewhat out of the way, but that doesn't necessarily change the fact that this game is currently on hiatus.

Bandages
« Reply #767 on: May 21, 2014, 10:59:07 PM »

It seems like the issue is complicated, so I don't know how useful my comments are. High finesse platforming with charming, lush visuals is the heart of FROD SORD and that is worth holding onto. I know it can be somewhat controversial, but you could try the kickstarter route if you need funding. Hunter's art, the intriguing gameplay, and word of mouth are all things that you have on your side. That probably adds up to a funded game if you can reach the right audience.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 22, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »

This time get actual contract down asap

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: May 26, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »

A lot of people are coming together to try to get this game out there. I appreciate the support that I have received and would like to show off what could potentially become the new Frog Sord.

A few Frog variations

Mockup by Rasse

The current plan is to release a freeware version similar to the alpha build released late last year. I will use this to gauge interest in future development and then possibly look into Kickstarter or other funding methods.

-Z
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:57:46 PM by Zack Bell » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 26, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »

the new frog need charisma training Sad

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 26, 2014, 05:09:11 PM »

Ms. Frog Sord?
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: May 27, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »

That is kind of what I figured. I feel like the project may have reached a point where the interest of the original fan base has dwindled and that the original art style was a large part of its popularity.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #773 on: May 27, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »

So again.

Why can't you use the original sprites? If anything it sounds like you guys are just wasting money by redoing art for seemingly no reason.

Sarge
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »

So again.

Why can't you use the original sprites? If anything it sounds like you guys are just wasting money by redoing art for seemingly no reason.

That is something we have kicked around a bit.  More seriously today funny enough.

The original art isn't "finished."  The original artist isn't interested in doing the rest of the art needed for the game.

Finding an artist who is consistent, fast, and willing to commit the time to the game is hard.  Finding an artist who is all that and can finish things while producing stuff that can work alongside the old art is practically impossible.

So filling in the holes in the art and finishing that way wasn't a realistic option.

Thats without even having the conversation of who "owns" the art since the business side of things didn't have a chance to completely come together.  That's the conversation we've been having since the cheerios initially got pooped in.

Finally, we've all been making other prototypes in the meantime because we like making games.  So any time we have had to push our FROG SORD agenda has been incidental back burner stuff.

[TWEETER]
If it is stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid.
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #775 on: May 27, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »

since the cheerios initially got pooped in.
Shocked

Sarge
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 27, 2014, 10:49:43 AM »

I've always had a way with words.

[TWEETER]
If it is stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 27, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »

The former frog was a perfect recreation of the appeal of mascot platformer with a reall 'tude charisma and a hinge of chrono trigger nostalgia ... You could still prototype the game without final visual and iterate on a character later as a final "skin" polish phase. The spark is important but superficial to "the game", it can be adjusted later.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 27, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »

Keep the character, redo the environments
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: May 27, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »

Its dumb to redo the frog, and the sprites you already have. Just get somebody to replicate what you have.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic